zero shift

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by griggzy, Nov 29, 2009.

1. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

hi i keep getting the zero shifting on my steyr 110ft im pretty sure its not the scope ( new big nikko ) as the scopes a good scope and the mounts are not lose etc and it 100% definatly not getting scope knocked . i shot my gun last weekend ( had to re zero by a few clicks ) then i shot it today and again had to re zero 8 clicks . its doin my head in as i cant trust the side wheel / click marks to dial in as it seems to change alot . i clean my barrel after every shoot but i havent yet had my barrel floated .
    anybody have any ideas ? could it be a reg problem ( i get about max 8-10 fps difference over chrono ) or is this due to my barrel being fixed and not floating ?

any help would be excellent , cheers

steve

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Float the barrel, Undo the front grubscrew and take out the nylon insert.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    8 1/8th MOA clicks?

i see shifts now and then on the walther... a real drop or increase in temp can see that (2 MOA), but it's stable throughout the day. Usually it's in the order of 1/2 MOA or perhaps 1, when it happens... then it can be stable for a few weeks, then the weather changes, and so does the zero...

Every single pcp i've shot has done it... i've pretty much given up trying to work out what it was... in SA we all went high once we were over there in the thinner air, so i've decided to just leave it at that and hit the zero range on each shoot.

was it shooting low by any chance?

4. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

hi rob yes 8 1/8 clicks and it did stay the same all day and no it was shooting high , i guess by what your saying il just have to hit the range before every shoot and just adjust to suit , but would floating the barrel eliminate some of this ?
    also how hard is it to take out the nylon insert ? would i need to take out the barrel ? if so how do i do it ?

cheers

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    if it was shooting high then i'd go with chris's idea perhaps... but steyr's aren't my forte... 2nd one i've heard of going high in the cold... most guns go low.

6. Photoguy2910

Photoguy2910 Member

I used to have a problem of zero shift on my S410, it only happened when I used a soft case/gunbag but is fine when its in a hard case... could it be that?

7. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    I'd definitely float the barrel before I try anything else.
    You can remove the front grubscrew quite easily, which will remove most of the load on the barrel, but most people find they need to also remove the plastic washer to totally remove any load on the barrel. You will need to remove the barrel to get the plastic washer out. I'd also recommend getting the dremel in the frame while you've got it out to remove any chance of the barrel touching the frame.
    I still get some POI shift in cold weather, it's spotting it and allowing for it that's the trick. You need to decide whether to re-zero or add clicks.
    Taking the gun out of the car and letting it acclimatise for 1/2 an hour before checking the zero is a god idea.

8. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    ive been done this route matey try to itenize the problem one thing at a time(float barrel defently)then pop the scope and mounts of the steyr and try the scope and mounts on a other gun to see if it does the same,check the steyr ror any crimp marks where you mount scope,if theirs any crimp marks you can get cross over,try a different scope and mounts on the steyr to see if its the gun,it just could be the mounts matey coarseing cross over try a different set of mounts matey

9. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

thanks for all the replys , im gonna float the barrel first and see how it goes with that , as i dont have another gun or scope to swap things on and try il just have to hope this irons out the probs

cheers

........... anbody have a good step by step on how to take the barrel out ?

10. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    if you have a rail on to mount the score, this has to come off first.
    there are two grub screws holding the barrel on, these have to be slackend off, careful not to ring them as they will be tight.
    barrel will slide out of the action, if you have removed the grub screw at the front of the action.
    take out the nylon bush also.
    Conor

11. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

many thanks L-S-R that dont seem to be too hard to do il give it a go . will just taking away the front grub screw and front nylon shim be enough or will i have to dremel out the surrounding part ?

12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    dremel wouldn't hurt as it can be a tight fit sometimes. 15min job tops, the most tricky part is reassembling to ensure the cocking lever and stabilizer close proberly, which is trial and error really.
    Conor

13. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

Cheers L-S-R im gonna borrow a dremel and try to get it done this week , fingers crossed it will sort some of my problem

atb
    steve

14. mintyrn10

mintyrn10 Roll on the weekend!

Club:
    REDFEARNS
    dont rule out your nikko for shifting some new mk3's are cack

15. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

is there any way of telling if its down to the scope ? i do have a rather longer than usual eye relief on my nikko, not that this is a problem but just seems to be more than the avrage nikko . but is there anywhere you can take scopes to be checked for imperfections ?

16. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Beg borrow a scope which is a good one does not have to big mag just zero at 35yards and try over a couple of days if the shift stops you know were the problem is.
    Regards Don

17. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

cheers mate il get beggin and see what i can find

atb
    steve

18. rogb

rogb Señor Member

Tell me when you're gonna be at the club and I'll float it for you. Just get the barrel grubs loosened first at home with a decent allen key so I don't strip em :D

I will bring my dremel;)

19. griggzy

griggzy Dop's *****

cheers rog il b down the club in 2 weeks time il chat to you before then anyway

steve

20. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I also have a 110FT and I don t recommend that you mess with the frame, you can t replace material that you remove if the factory made the rifle that way there is a reason.

The shift that you have is too high you should check the scope and the 2 grub screws that old the barrel.

If you decide to remove the barrel before doing that make several marks with a permanent pen in the barrel as close to the frame has you can and use it for reference when reassemble it, also make a longitudinal mark to make sure that you won t rotate it.

Removing the screw and nylon part will open the groups a bit.