Zen and the Art of Barrel Maintenance

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by pirellip, Jun 30, 2015.

1. pirellip

pirellip Member

Hello All,

I won't get into the age old question of 'how to clean a barrel' - I've developed a method that I'm happy with on my HW77K.

BUT I've always wondered what exactly everyone means when they say 'until the patch comes out clean' - I use a 'pull through' method, and across my entire air rifle collection (PCPs too) I've never had a patch come out the barrel that didn't have some discoloration.

I've tried many different ways of cleaning over the years (I've stayed away from using cleaning rods though): tried different cleaning agents; varying degrees of 'patch tightness' (achieved by how you arrange the patch on the pull through) from 'easy to pull' to 'I think I'm going to break the cord' hard.

Also tried pulling through a few dozen patches a number of times, on different barrels, but still I can't get one to come out 'clean' :confused:

Am I missing something? Does anyone actually have a patch come out the other end as white as it went in?

Perhaps if I can achieve this state of :lev cleanliness, all my shots will land where they should, my hair will grow back and my kids'll start listening to me again?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. dnic

dnic Share the Love

Club:
    Misfits, Australia OMT
    Tom,

I have not had a patch come out in the same condition as it went in (clean no marks)

I use VFG felts on my barrels, only use a pull through when the barrel is very dirty.

My regime.

End of the days shooting, pop a felt in and fire it into a small towel. Look at the felt and see how much lead it has picked up on the way through. If it is completey black all the way round, I shoot a few more through. When I can see just the lands ( looks like spirals on the felt) I stop. If I'm not going to use the rifle for a while, I will put a drop of LT1 on the last felt, fire it through and pack up the rifle.

Only when my aim points are going off, do I use a pull through.

David

3. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    This is a complex one and will bring up lots of different answers from different people.:eek:

I've tried most methods including VFG rods and paste, to home made wires and all the currently available pull through's, but usually find you can get virtually everything out and get clean barrels after either four or five for a regularly cleaned barrel, to 12 or 15 and sometimes more pull through's, with an uncleaned barrel, using my home made nylon coated wire and soaked cloth, depending how dirty the barrel is.

I find the felt shoot though's ok as a final dry wiper only and dont take much dirt out like a cloth on a wire with napier oil or similar. You must have some kind of cleaner on or you are just dragging over the dirt and grunge.

I think also that even when clean you sometimes get a tiny amount of rifling lines.

I probably clean my barrels every couple of tins on average, or when the grouping opens up with a known pellet.
    If you leave it more than this you will take more time to clean it, and a shoot through pellet will never get a barrel completely clean, well maybe if you put a full box through it.:rolleyes:

I am in the process of buying a Steyr so I will have to get some industrial cleaner and a brass brush by the sound of their barrel reputaton.:eek:o

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    You'll have to get used to cleaning your barrel a little more often Dean now you've got a steyr ;):p

5. simona

simona Active Member

I keep going until they don't get any cleaner.

6. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Nah Mick, it will be forever in bits on Chris C's table to warrant a barrel clean:D

7. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.

Seeing your scores lately David I would respectfully suggest your cleaning regime needs questioning! :p;)

I think you're putting cr@p into the barrel mate!

8. pirellip

pirellip Member

Thanks All!

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't get a patch to come out as white as it went in.

So 'until clean' really means 'until the patches don't come out any cleaner'

9. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    One word:

LT1

Don't tell everybody though:)

10. pirellip

pirellip Member

That's what I've been using for a few years :D Almost out though, gotta find some more and get it shipped to Canada!

11. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Thats from a guy that doesn't clean his barrels!:eek::eek::p:p:p:p

12. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    1 pull through with napier pellet lube and 3 dry ones after every shoot has always been fine for me on most guns I owned :)

The exception being a TX200 which used to diesel after a barrel cleaning.... :D

Takes 5 mins at most