WRABF benchrest rules

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by rmwesley, May 4, 2019.

1. rmwesley

rmwesley New Member

Just reading up on the various different rules for benchrest and have got to WRABF.

If you are allowed to use a vertically and horizontally adjustable front rest, a static rear rest, an unlimited mag scope and can shoot indoors, does this mean you are taking out all the human variables like breathing / heartbeat, plus wind? i.e. it is basically down to rifle accuracy and consistency.

My attempt at building an adjustable front rest failed miserably and its blowing a gale outside at the moment, so it's going to be difficult to figure it out for myself.

Cheers.

2. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I wish it was just down to accuracy and consistany but breathing, heart beat,resting your eyes , staying hydrated contact with the stock etc certainly come into it , it is extremely difficult but also extremely satisfying to shoot BR.
    You have the same problems in getting the right pellets that your gun likes ,
    I shoot indoor BR but will soon be shooting 25 and 50m outdoors ,so I'll have to contend with the cursed wind as well .
    But I will set my rifle up indoors ,so I know how it performs at 25 and 50m

Its a whole new world out there in BR land ,
    I shoot the UKBR22 comps using full BR kit ,it in no way guarantees me top scores

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  3. rmwesley

rmwesley New Member

Thanks Waldo. I've been bitten by the bug having tried BR out fairly ad-hoc, so I'd like to give a postal competition a go.

The NSRA rules seem to be a fairly level playing field with only a front rest and 12x mag scope, however the ret on my 12x scope completely obliterates the bull so its all a bit random.

Like the idea of giving myself a bit more of a chance with a high mag, fine ret scope in the WRABF rules. But does success then became a bit of an arms race?

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    We have a shooter down in the South West (who will no doubt read this) who has shot 250 on a number of occasions using either his AA MPR or his AA Shamal, which he has owed from new.

Admittedly these scores have been shot during practice rounds, but all to UKBR22 rules, at 25m and outdoors using a simple front rest and a sand filled bag at the back.

It is not an arms race, but it is all about pellets, the wind and super consistent technique.

Waldo likes this.
  5. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    No not really i first started br with an HFT500 with home made stock adaptor plates ,I acheived quite good scores,with it

But I suppose it depends how far you want to go with it , I tend to go in 100% with something( much to my wife's annoyance):D.And as with any competative sport ,you always think ,if I get such and such piece of kit ,it will get me the extra points !
    I sold a number of good rifles to fund my BR habit , had a rifle specifically for BR, but was disappointed with it ,so chucking cash at it doesn't always reap the benefits you expect! I got well beaten with lesser (in my opinion) rifles .

It doesn't stop me thinking about the next upgrade though :eek::D
    And I go I to every match thinking I'm going to smash it this time !!:D

6. rmwesley

rmwesley New Member

Thanks Neil and Waldo. Appreciate your insights :)

7. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member