Worlds: second again

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by simona, Sep 3, 2013.

1. simona

simona Active Member

First off and most importantly warmest congratulations to John, we had a great few days together and he got the job done. I only wish I could duplicate his level of composure and calm. I really enjoyed his company and we've talked through all sorts of stuff both before and after the competition; it was a pleasure to get to know him. My daughters also appreciated his magic show prior to our departure! Well done to the entire England team, we really did ourselves proud on what was a tough set of Euro-style FT courses.

From a personal perspective I have to say I'm truly gut busted by my performance, it's going to be very hard for me to come to terms with a terrible error that I made. I've been doing FT for 25 years on and off and I've always been able to easily accept whatever has come my way.

I may be opening myself up for ridicule but I shot my very last lane out of sequence (hitting both!) to drop two behind the top score. The lane featured targets just a yard or so apart at the top of a high bank at about 52-odd yards. It was perhaps the only lane on the three courses which could be shot out of sequence and I encountered it at the only point at which I was so keyed up that I could make that error. A truly unfortunate concatenation of circumstances.

Of the thousands of lanes that I've shot it's the first that I've ever shot out of sequence. It's very difficult for me to know exactly what I did but I think I ranged the correct (first) target first, then shot the second, then ranged the first target again and shot it. My only consolation is that I took two beautiful shots, and I'd rather that than choke off on two dinks.

The targets I missed over the three days were just insane, mostly in my first two lanes of each day where I was so nervous I could hardly hold the faceplate. The target I missed in my 49 on Sunday was a 32 yard full sized kneeler! (Just for the record John missed that too, he also seemed to do most of his missing on easier targets.)

It's going to be very difficult for me to get this out of my system, I really poured all of myself into this and I feel such a fool. I've had one or two people suggest to me in the past that I shoot like a machine; oh that this were the case! I'm all too human, my nervousness and depth and variation of emotion around a course (and my need to pee every 5 minutes!) are as great a challenge as the targets, in fact they are the real obstacle.

While I love the sport right now it's difficult for me to consider ever putting myself through such torment again. Though maybe I need to go to one more Worlds as I've never gone a turn out before either.

Thanks to the Welsh team who between them saved me from temptation by ensuring that no spare beer was available in our particular part of South Bavaria, particular thanks to Berty for keeping me half sane through the shoots. Also great to see Conor again and meet his Irish team mates.

I've now come second in the last two world championships I've attended and shared a room with the winner on each occasion - how weird is that? I've been close in every possible respect.

After our long trip through Germany and Holland and drive up from Harwich John is now on the road back to the North-East, I wish him a safe journey and look forward to seeing him again. The lad is as sound as he appears and he's provided the ultimate confirmation of his skill. I salute him.

2. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

wow

Spoken like the true gent you are Simon ,well done anyway
    I know a few shooters that wouldve been chuffed with a second to John

Dont beat yourself up mate ,remember its only a game!!

3. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Simon,
    You write with such humility and grace; I wish you the very best of luck for future years.

Shaun

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  4. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Simon - a great post.

Not sure if it is age related, but I have also shot wrong targets in the last 2 years. One at the Far Coley GP last year and one at the Tawd Vale GP this year. Before that - it had never happened in competition.

I can also sympathise on the needing a pee around the course - another age thing :(

A real shame to lose out in such a way - especially on the very last lane when the hard work was almost done.

I hope you don't dwell on it for too long and you can put it behind you.

Dave.

5. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    I think i would be upset if i shot out of squence in a nw shoot but to do it at that level must be soul destroying i feel for you as for coming second just think how many times Calps has done that and come through ,nice post and well done.

6. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

On reading this, I thought 'oh xxxx'.
    I'm trying to avoid imagining what went through your head when you realised what had happened.

I went through something not dissimilar (in a much less important match, but shooting against one of the top shooters of those days).
    I can still feel the stomach pain that went through me when I saw my rifle dropping out of the gun rack, landing on the scope bell, just before the shootoff for first place. Why didn't I put it in the bag??!?

While I'm on it, I am also trying to avoid what it would've been like to be your squad mate that day... must've been heart-wrenching.

Sorry to hear this. But look at it this way: you will most likely never make this mistake again.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  7. TREV RYN

TREV RYN https://www.neftaonline.org/

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    here here well said by a true gentleman of our sport, long may you continue flower.;)

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Next

The next room mate you get simon at the worlds . tie him to the bed come the comp . sorted ??? HOLLY:):cool:

9. DYNO DAVE

DYNO DAVE Senior Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Well said Simon , and well done to Finnish second in that company of shooters you should be proud of yourself .. Regards Dave ..... Hope to see you at the euros.

10. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    Utter respect for you Simon.
    For your shooting
    For your obvious talent and ability
    And, perhaps principally, for your humility, your courage and your honesty.

I look forward to meeting you and shaking your hand. :)
    I will put meeting you on my list of 'things-to-do' for next years GP season.

You're a credit to the sport.

Jack

11. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Feel really gutted for you Simon, but I'm sure you'll bounce back.
    Still an awesome performance - as always from you.

12. Freespirit

Freespirit New Member

Club:
    Midshires
    Both World Champs

A most magnanimous post from Simon, written in the gentlemanly way that he is.
    I know that the rules require that the lane targets are taken in sequence (for very good reasons I'm advised?). However one should not forget that the targets were both hit and the purpose of the tournament is to see who has the skill to hit most targets. So in my book Simon and John are both World champions and together with the rest of the excellent Team England shooters deserve all the accolade that their shooting prowess recognises.
    Well done to all.
    Colin & Lori

13. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I feel for you, I really do.

I had a shocker at a HFT worlds that cost me winning the recoil that year.

You shot superbly. Keep going.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I personally know what this type of thing feels like. You have to start shooting again very soon and try and get it away from your thoughts.

Congratulations with your effort there.

Best Regards.

15. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    Honest True Gent of FT

Hi Simon, felt for you on Sunday mate. Gutted.
    Someone with less integrity may have just claimed 2 hits ( were your marshals watching?????)but you,as a true HONEST FT TOP shot, played by the rules.
    We APPLAUD you Simon for being an honest contestant and not wanting to win at ALL costs.
    Get your arse down to Kent on Sunday for the Kent Open and up to Weston Park on the following weekend and put it behind you.
    Next time, share with me !!!!! Or Craig??
    Best regards
    Barry

16. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    What Simon has neglected to mention is that until he admitted his error was that his shooting partners had failed to notice his mistake! in all honesty how many would have owned up to that with the stakes involved? A true sportsman indeed. He also gave me Invaluable advice on the zero range at the end of day one after a set up error made me miss virtually every mini kill between 8 and 25 meters. Simon you are a credit to the sport and a true gentleman.

17. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    Wow!

I have no idea how gutted you must have been Simon but you truly are a credit to the sport.

Put it behind you and remember that there is always next year :) I imagine after this bit of bad luck you will have a lot of people hoping you win it!

18. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    True gent and a good friend...

Simon,

You know I like to have a laugh wind you up etc etc..

This is what gets me around a course as you know as we spent 3 days along side each other in our lanes...

Your a what I class as a good friend and you shot out of your skin throughout the wolds...

We discussed about me having a break from the sport for my own reasons and as you said having a break makes you really hungry at shoots that you attend.

Don't let what happened on that last lane beat you up and have a little break and get back to your mind set that you've always had...

I could see how hard you were trying for the last 6-8 lanes on Sunday bud and that's why I didn't come over and wind you up etc... Maybe I should have now as it seemed to calm you down a bit on each lane.. Remember those new SPECIAL trousers you want to buy mind hahaaaa

Keep in touch as well over the winter bud...

Hopefully catch you at Newbury and share a beer on the Saturday night.....

Mark Bassett

19. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Written by a true gent of the sport, only man ever to send me emails of how to dry my @rse the correct way with a towel with the intention of it helping me hit more standers.

Class shooter Mr Ayres

20. EELS

EELS Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen FTC
    Always the Bridesmaid..??

Honestly Simon, some people will do ANYTHING to keep up (or in your case should it be down, a reputation!) ;)

It's SO tough at the top; usually with 1 or 2 targets out of 150 covering the top 5 or more shooters! Not usually a religious man I remember saying a little prayer on day 2 back in 2004, calling on divine intervention to get me across the line, as the thing was just so dam hard and I doubted that if I didn't win it then, whether I would ever be able to - thank God it worked for me that time! Also, I'm personally grateful you trumped my error of going a turn out at least once each day :-/

The point is all you can do is put yourself in the position and then trust to luck or a higher power for the rest. If it was all about form for example, then Calps would've walked it this year. Either you or John would've been worthy champions and you are both brilliant adverts for our sport and personalities that the sponsors can get behind.

You are a great shooter mate and for my money one of the most naturally gifted in the game; your time will come bud. Besides John hasn't got a wife, mortgage or two kids yet!:D Let's see where he is in 10 years time!