World FT Championships 2009 South Africa

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Nov 21, 2008.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Ok, so who's going?

There's a website here... Link

There is also a useful forum here

I have stolen their FAQ from their site, to make life a little easier here

There's a contact list on the site as well. So far so good... :)

• When will the 2009 Field Target World Championships take place?

25 – 27 September 2009

• What can we expect of the weather?

September is Spring in South Africa. You could expect temperatures between 8 – 26 ºC with possible afternoon thunder storms. It is advised to apply sunscreen during the day.

• Where will the Championships be held?

A venue within the Tshwane municipal boundaries (Pretoria - Gauteng Province) will be identified for the Championships.

• Do I need a permit to bring my rifle into South Africa?

No. South Africans are currently not required to license their .177 or .20 air rifles. Visitors from abroad enjoy the same privilege. Be sure to have your rifle s serial number handy at customs. Note that any air rifle of .22 cal or more would need an import permit.

• Will public transport be available from the airport?

Yes, but it is not advised to use mini-bus taxis. If you make your trip s reservations through a travel agent, be sure to specify that you would need transport from and to the airport. Alternatively you can hire a vehicle at the airport for the duration of your stay.

• How expensive is food in South Africa?

To compare prices for example: a 500ml bottle of water can cost you R5.00; a can of tuna can cost you R10.00; a loaf of bread can cost you R7.00; a standard beer can cost you R15.00 in a restaurant. Feel free to contact any of the Worlds Committee members for more information.

• Is it safe to drink water from a tap?

Yes. The areas around the venue of the Championships mostly have safe water, but it is suggested to drink bottled water if you are sensitive to changes in your diet. Water from the tap is safe to boil for coffee / tea.

• What currency must I use in South Africa?

South African Rand is the only currency accepted. Most shops, restaurants, accommodations accept credit cards (Visa and MasterCard). You are able to exchange your currency at the International Airport and most banks in South Africa who have a foreign exchange branch. South Africa does not have “money stalls†where cash can be exchanged.

• Will I get Malaria if a mosquito bites me?

No. Pretoria and the whole Gauteng Province is completely Malaria-free. Be sure to apply a mosquito repellent though, as a mosquito bite can be very irritating.

• Which destination airport do I fly to ?

OR Tambo International Airport - Johannesburg.

• What is the entry fee ?

ZAR500 per individual

2. RobF

Club:
    Ok, looked into flights

Virgin Atlantic do an overnight from Heathrow for £617 if you leave UK Saturday evening, and return from SA Monday evening, landing Tuesday morning.

Anyone else done any digging?

Pretoria looks a short drive from Jo'burg.

3. Photoguy2910

Photoguy2910 Member

Think I need a lot more practice before I even think about that... Would be fun though

4. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I joined the SA Forum to get all the necessary info as it came up, they're getting a bit itchy for Worlds details now as well but have been promised final arrangements for the new year on this site;

WORLDS

You probably have to register but I think it may be worth it. I think info will be a lot more available as the Comp goes on next year as the SAs look like they're on the ball.

5. RobF

Club:
    Nice one... :)

Got some other info...

For UK shooters the exchange rate is 15 ZAR to £1

I have also asked the SAFTAA a couple of questions about the event, the replies are below :

We are in the process of finalizing the venue where the Worlds will take place. We are looking at hiring a place where there is accommodation, camping facilities and ablutions on the premises for most of the participants.

Please just note at this point in time that the website is still being developed after hours, so you may not find all the detail there just yet.

As far as safety is concerned: yes there are areas that need to be avoided, but the venue is not close to any of these. You will be safe when you hire a car at the airport and drive to the venue. *

* Erica advises the precaution of keeping doors locked during trips and just being observant and traffic stops. However, to put this into perspective this is my standard practice for traveling around parts of London and the US, so I don't think this aspect is something to be overtly concerned about.

As far as flights are concerned... a bit of diggin has shown that inc taxes around £ 600 covers the flights. It would be interesting to see if that price can be beaten, if you know of a good source, post it for the benefit of others.

Car hire can be anything from £100 to £500 per week, depending on size of car and how many you wish to fit in it. People might consider sharing a car or two, so post if your up for that.

Erica replied very quickly to my questions. If you have any other info, please post it here for the benefit of others. Also, if you know of England shooters who are thinking about going, but are not web connected, please PM me for my contact details so we can keep as many people in the loop as possible.

Cheers

Rob

6. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I wonder what strength of team will be going out there, it would be nice if it was our 'First Eleven' so to speak?
    Too late now but perhaps if we had put together some fundraising shoots we could have partially funded an England team. I think the SA's fancy their chances in the heat!

7. RobF

Club:
    It would be nice to divorce finances from the opportunity of representing your country... SA will no doubt require more than a tank of gas and a stay in a b&b overnight ;)

Ponder on that thought... but in the meantime, the website has been updated with some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If that's all in the same venue, it looks like it just gets better and better!

8. RobF

Club:
    Oh, and 'shooting jackets' have been banned...

9. Gerry

Gerry Member

Club:
    None
    Being an ex SA guy, I'd love to go back and shoot the worlds there.

I'm pretty confident the chaps will put up a decent competition.

Just remember, the country is very different to UK , as in the people on the streets, so you must try and either hook up with local SA guys , or book in with recognised travel companies.

A sad fact of life , if you stray away from the recognised routes into bad lands , you may be a victim of some sort of crime.

My advice is to hook up with an SA shooter or the travel companies, they'll show you every thing with safety as a priority .

Looking at the pictures , I'd say a reasonable amount of fitness will be required to get around , and have a good shoot .

It'll be interesting and fun .

:)

10. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley

Also knee pads

im still going

showed mick the pictures and he said where's the targets

you know what with scenenery like that who cares

regards
    lyn and mick

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Urgggggh

Lyndeen . Watch out for them BIG spiders crawling up your shorts ??? HOLLY PS only joking they have all been eaten by the lions .

12. RobF

Club:
    Just had an email to say that is the confirmed site.

Will try and find out if there's accommodation on the site as well... I know everyone's keen to save pennies..

13. RobF

Club:
    This just in :

SAFTAA are proud to extend a hearty invitation to you all to join us at the 2009 World Field Target Championships. The venue will be the Mutango Lodge, about 25 km north east of Pretoria. Limited accommodation will be available at the venue, with more at other lodges in the surrounding area. We have set up a Worlds web site at www.ft-worlds2009.co.za – the site is still under development, and you are requested to note the following (if it still appears on the site when you access it):

On the Important INFO page -

1. Delete the RULES TO BE FOLLOWED paragraph – since SAFTAA will have to abide by the WFTF Core Rules, any clothing should be allowed (including shooting jackets, trousers & shoes). No knee or elbow padding will however be allowed.

2. Where will the Championships be held?

“The venue will be at the Mutango Lodge – about one hour s drive from the OR Tambo Airport and 25 km north east of Pretoria.†Their web site is www.mutangolodge.co.za

Please forward the contents of this email to all your members with the invitation that we d like to meet them all in South Africa next year. SAFTAA would also appeal to NGBs to bring along teams of at least six members (max eight) – let s make the 2009 Worlds the greatest team event yet!

On behalf of SAFTAA and the WFTF I wish you all and your loved ones a blessed festive season and a splendid 2009.

Regards,

Johan Jansen – Chairman: SAFTAA and WFTF.

14. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    awww

Shorts!!!! whats shorts im hoping its bikini wheather then they will see no knee pads or elbow pads:D

I can cuddle a big pussy cat ( i will love him and pet him and make him my own):eek:

Bring on the big beasties :shot:

lyn

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    lyndeen .

She has gone off her bonce again ??? HOLLY

16. RobF

Club:
  17. RobF

Club:
    Virgin are now matching this as well.

Still awaiting info on the venue's rates for that week...

18. RobF

Club:
    Virgin have flights at £476 now...

19. RobF

Club:
    Info from the lodge...

20. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Rob, I'm a bit concerned about the first rule regarding max power on the SA Worlds site;

Any ai r r i f le that abides by the relevant rules wi l l be al lowed in SAFTAA
    compet i t ions. I t i s the responsibi l i ty of the individual owner to ensure
    that thei r r i f le compl ies wi th the l imi t of 16J (12f t / lbs – below 800
    f t / sec) .

I brought this up on their forum a few weeks ago but they said there was to be a meeting ironing out all these wrinkles. Well, that has happened & some issues such as Shooting Jackets have been dealt with but this one concerning max MV still seems to stand.
    What do you think?