Work....a necessary evil?!

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by CharlieM, May 13, 2010.

1. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Two years on the trot it's knackered me getting to the SEFTA GP and countless other shoots.....thoroughly furked orrff :mad:

2. harry 400

harry 400 Member

Club:
    BLAENAU GWENT
    tell me about it charlie mate i feel the same:(

3. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I've been very lucky in the past in that firstly I was self employed so could schedule my work around my weekends of shooting and more recently that my now employers have been very understanding and have let me change my shift pattern or put holidays in for competitions in return for a favour or two when I'm not shooting.
    I cannot however see things lasting though as my shift manager is due to change at the end of this year.
    It's been more of a financial thing for me and the fact that my wife has been ill lately and is waiting to go in for an operation that has cast a shadow over my availability to go shooting but that is just the way of things and I'll do what I can when I can.
    Thing is mate work and family have to come first before our hobby no matter how much we love it and though at times when we can't go it's very disapointing. At least it makes the shoots that we do get to all the more special and enjoyable.
    Agreed though when your kit is there,the weather is perfect and you're really up for an event it can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.:rolleyes:

Dave

4. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    No way Charlie, thats a hard pill to swallow. :(

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I tend to think myself lucky that work could stop me shooting.

6. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Fair point but can be difficult to reconcile that when you are effectively working for free and doing more than twice your salaried hours in a week.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Tough break Charlie... On the bright side though, you won't be spending the day with Holly :D

8. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

should keep your head down now Rob - there will be some incoming :shot:

9. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Shift work

I know how you feel in a sense Charlie,

I use up most of my annual leave to compete in the shoots. When I was single it didnt matter as this is what Id prefer to do than go on holidays. Its a little diferent now, Natalie needs to have time away for hols etc, but she is outstanding as she is happy for me to do the shooting and as long as she comes away with me, shes fine with it. Were going to Hungary in October for the Worlds and we are going to use that as our little getaway.

Back to the work front, if you do work weekends and shifts etc, it can be a drain on yourself sadly.

Just hope you have a boss that is understanding, or do as a mate of mine has done and get his boss into shooting. Trust me its helped him out getting time here and there... Clever thinking if you ask me...

Berty