Windometers....

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Shaqa, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Shaqa

Shaqa New Member

Im looking at fitting a 'Windometer' to my rifle, and am wondering if there is a current optimum design these days...or do i just tie a piece of wool onto the end of the barrel. If anyone has any successful designs can you let me know please. Pics might be nice as well. Thanks

2. CoolId

CoolId New Member

If you want a plastic clip to fit on the cylinder the ones from Vax cleaners are exactly the right size

Regards

Dave

3. Tyke

Tyke Member

The trouble with windometers is they only show you the wind conditions at the rifle

4. ascoughc

ascoughc Member

try a peice of casette tape that works good

5. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Thin Lizzie or Strauss Chris? :D

6. ascoughc

ascoughc Member

cant be putting the thin lizzy on the end:)

7. rich

rich Active Member

Mine is a cock pheasant feather on a piece of monofilament fishing line. I also have a piece of wool; the feather is much more reactive and will iindicate when the wool just ignores the air movement. However the feather soon reaches the horizontal at my club (!) :eek: so the wool is useful too. :)

8. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

I use a bit of wool, I think you have plenty of that in NZ.....:)

9. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Neil I think the trick is not to overthink it. Try something and if it doesn't work for you, try something else.

FT kit has been cobbled together over the years by shooters who experimented with stuff. Some weird and wonderful kit has appeared, as we have a general lack of rules regarding adding stuff to the rifles.

Mine's a bit of chenille AND a feather. How you use it is more important than what ts made of. And of course how you observe whats happening out at distance.

I seen a couple of our shooters blanking off one eye, smalbore style. Thats not giving you any extra feedback on the wind........backing your mag off to about 20x when taking the shot also can help apparently, as you get a wider field of view in front and behind the target just as you take the shot. Oh thats right, you just bought a fixed 35x didn't you.........

GS

10. Flannelmeister

Flannelmeister New Member

I roll my own windometers :D

11. Shaqa

Shaqa New Member

Cheers Chris. Might have to find a small 'tie-wrap' and use it as a stand-off, than hang some light weight wool from it. Although the idea of a feather maybe off a piece of cotton or similar, hanging off the tie-wrap as well seems interesting. I think the tie-wrap will bring the indicator more into my LH eye vision.

12. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Neil I have a spare couple of plastic handcuffs about the right size, which you can wrap around your barrel and hang the wool/string/feather/whips/chains/whatever off.

You can grab it off me next time we meet up, or most likely can be found at any supercheap store for a few dollars a pack of ten. Great too if you want to take it off for any maintenance, just snip it off and replace with a new one later.

I'll keep a couple for ya eh?

GS

13. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

How does wool/cotton work when it gets soaked, does it react differently at all due to the weight difference?

Ryan

14. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Good point Ryan.

I use a bit of some sort of nylony material meant to be a tacky addition to the edges of curtains. It repels water to a certain degree, drys quickly, and is light enough that it floats on the wind and doesn't swing, but heavy enough that it also doesn't just swing around.

As said, it only tells you what is happening at the muzzle, and can be fooled by objects close to it causing an eddy, such as your body, or a large tree... but it does tell you something at least. Like all tools, you need to know when to use it, and when to leave it aside.

I have mine hanging off to the left, which means i can see it when it points left and right, and also i can position it so my 2nd eye can superimpose it onto the scope eye's view.

15. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

So Rob, while you have both eyes crossed watching the x hairs and the windicator,.......whats the third eye doing?

rofl
    GS

16. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

I have never noted a problem with rain and the use of wool,I tryed chenille but found it to sensitive, with wool found I can guage wind strength better. I use it only as an indication of whats happening at the gun muzzel and very rarely rely on it for whats happening at the target unless its in a open field and even then you need to be aware.

17. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

In SA many of the locals had a gun caddy/gun rest to carry their rifle from lane to lane. Attached to that was a small windflag. A smart idea perhaps worth considering.

Looks like it was an adaptation of the US gun caddy design. Not for me personally, but it did allow carrying a fair amount of kit with you, and provided a stable place to rest your rifle off the dirt.

GS

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

So does a gunbag which will also keep the rain/sun & everything else off your rifle :)

19. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Yes indeed, no argument there. And the sun was a big issue over there. I was a bit tight on weight and what I wanted to take anyway so I only had my hard case which I wasn't keen on lugging around the mountain.

I have an odd looking heat resistant cover off an iron board that I sometimes use here at home to keep the sun and rain off mine. I wish I HAD taken that with me.

GS:)

20. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The Russian shooters that have come over to the UK for the Europeans for the last two years have some nice thin cases, they are made from a silver backed quilted material that looks like silver bubble wrap. It doesn't appear to give the rifle any mechanical protection but it keep the elements at bay