Windage Adjustment

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by EV2UK, Apr 10, 2019.

1. EV2UK

EV2UK Active Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    OK long story short..

Traveled up to the inters at the weekend, gun slipped off tthe back seat, got to the shoot, windage out at 18yards.... So I adjusted it..

I know I know

Being a Sightron user when I set my windage I could find the funny size allen key so put the cap back on and thought I'd set it to zero later (that was over a year ago)
    Inters shoot didn't go well as it was in fact wind at 18yards pushing me off to the right

Guess who couldn't remember where his windage was set... (not zero)

What would be the minium distance to set the windage indoors

Would 35 yards be enough as sombody may work in a shop that is around 35 yards long

Tony

2. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    I would do 10yd and 35yd to check for crossover, if it's ok at those, then IMO it will be at 55yd also.

Paul

Darron and EV2UK like this.
  3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I do mine at 25 indoors Tony, on target paper. If I had longer (i used to) I'd do more. Doncaster has 45 yards.

At 10 yards 1/8th MOA click (not sure what the Sightron uses) is 1/80th of an inch. At 50 yards it's 1/16th. So you could move the turret 4 clicks and barely move it a mm at 10 yards, but at 50 yards it would be a pellet's width. It doesn't sound like much but if you dial out 10mm of wind outdoors at 10 yards you think shouldn't be there then that's 40mm at 50 yards!

I've seen guns not be to the click perfect from 8-25 before, various reasons, normally cant or induced cant from a slightly misaligned/misangled scope. But we're talking a few mm's at worst, which doesn't matter even on a 15mm.

Guns can take quite some knocks. Normally bashing the scope is what sends them off, not the barrel. You cant bend them and let them go and they're still on.

Why does everyone think their barrel only gets knocked in windage? :D

Darron and EV2UK like this.
  4. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    One to read the day I outshoot my gun.

5. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    To be honest if you're rifle took a knock like that I'd be inclined to remove the scope and start again from scratch with remounting it as the POI you have now might only be from sliding off the seat.
    Get it off, remount it and be absolutely sure it's square then rezero indoors but check from 10yds out to make sure your hits are centred.

plattitude likes this.