Wind Gun take more in one direction than the other?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by simmmo, Feb 16, 2011.

1. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

Anyone notice whether their gun takes more wind in one direction than the other.

I don't mean left to right being blown slightly low and right to left being blown slightly high, but a big difference in horizontal spread.

Obviously difficult to work out in ever changing conditions, just any thoughts.

Andy

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    not quite on zero on windage is my first thought, but wind is tricky to measure...

i zero indoors, and leave it there no matter what seems odd... shooters at bisley in the light breeze there often complain of a windage error, only to find that back indoors it's bang on again...

3. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

We sometimes get a steady and constant breeze here near the sea and I have picked the right days in the past to do various wind tests. A friend of mine in Perranporth has a perfect field with a sea view and with my wind speed meter I could confirm an almost constant wind speed. I haven't ever seen any difference in the deflection of a pellet in left and right winds of the same speed. So if you are experiencing that, then Rob's suggestion would be all I could think of.
    I could have saved myself a lot of time and effort by using Chairgun, but getting outside with the gun is far more fun.:)

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Some reckon indoors give windage error due to air density differences. Is this fact ot fiction, any ideas?

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Never seen it... cant however can be a problem with precise windage, that I have seen.

I use it for checking/eliminating any crossover, and zero at the furthest distance available, which is 35 yds. By checking that and 8, i can dial out any crossover if it exists, but normally there is none.

6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Not sure about air density but a 25m range I used to shoot in gave a tough of windage due to the air conditioning blast, you could see it move when it kicked in

7. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    might be an irish thing :D

8. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    funny enough my source on the info was welsh:D