Wierd MPR...

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by 5teve L, Mar 23, 2010.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Right my MPR is really odd & does my head in, I used to put JSB 4.52's through it & then it went off them, I found it liked 4.53's instead, ok you say, maybe batch no's etc etc, but no I don't think so... .
    The last few shoots I've been getting flyers from the same batch of 4.53's so I cleaned the barrel last night, fired a few pellets through & tried to get them to group, well nowhere near as tight as it used to with them, at best it would be 8-10mm groups :confused:
    Had some 4.52's left in a tin so tested & near on one hole @ 25yds, to say I'm confused is an understatement !

I'll be testing some more over the next few days just to make sure but has anyone else had this problem ?
    Typical I sold my last 2 tins of 4.52's to that Dave Dawes bloke a couple of weeks ago thinking I wouldn't need them :rolleyes:

2. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I've had something similar recently that I can only put down to variation within a batch. I had around 25tins of the same batch of 4.51s that when I do my part virtually single holed at 35yds off the bench, 20 tins into the batch I couldnt't get them any better than cloverleaf with the odd flier outside of the group:confused: Consistency in fps was still good, no visable variations, all weighed into respective batches,etc but still cloverleaf:confused: So I switched to another batch and die number and its now back to the way it should be, however, I was doing some range testing the other day and ran out of my newest batch and all I had with me was the "duff" batch, but this time weighed up from a different tin within the batch, and the damn things where absolutely spot on and back to the way they where before:confused::confused: Out of curiousity I then tried a few from the suspect tin and it was back to cloverleaf!! Bizzare stuff but needless to say I'm going to stick with the newest batch and leave the remainder of the old batch just for practice or plinking:) Maybe it could be something similar in your case mate??

3. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Clean barrel

The problem sometimes lies with the barrel. Some people say they can only use one size of pellet, such as 4.51 etc. I know other people who dont do anything to their pellets as in if they are 4.51 or 4.53 etc and get damn good results.

Barrels can be tempremental. Some like to be cleaned on a regular basis and some you never have to clean. I myself have had barrels that I used to clean after every tin of pellets used. Ive had other barrels that never need to be cleaned. This goes for evey sort of rifle out there. The barrels are all different and until you know what is happening you have to experiment with them. It is a pain and is time consuming, but once you have a rough idea what the barrel prefers it makes life alot easier.

With the ev2 I have cleaned the barrel regularly to start with as it is a new barrel, but since it is getting more run in, it doesnt need to be cleaned as often. Which makes life alot easier as i dont have to fire pellets through it to make sure I am happy with it.

It may be that your barrel needs to be cleaned to take the edge of lead from the grooves for it to be happy using 4.52's. It is hard to tell until you do checks via barrel cleaning etc etc...

I hope that helps in some way........

Berty

4. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thanks for the replies, I'll try a different tin of 4.53's Vince to see if it's just a duff tin, I thought it was me at 1st & it's been really doing my nut in, then I remembered I had the same prob last year.... Hopefully back to normal from now, roll on the Worlds !

Berty, it doesn't usually need alot of cleaning, it's just odd that it's been fine up till recently, I wondered why I had been missing things by alot recently, had a 25mm @ 20yds the other day & missed by a kill @ 3 o'clock, thats when I knew something wasn't right .lol.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  5. Feral

Feral New Member

Steve I've got some 4.53's if you want a few to do some comparative tests from another batch.

6. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Well I may just wait Cliff & buy some 4.52's from the next batch that the club buys & see how I get on, I will test another tin of my 4.53's though to see if the yare any better.
    See you @ the SiHFT this weekend if it's not pi55ing down.. & thanks for the offer.

7. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Think I found out why I had a leak as well, after replacing all the seals it still leaked, to the point lately that the rifle would be out completely, the only thing I hadn't messed with was the reg, knocked it out & one of the o-rings had a gouge out of it & also the cylinder was full of swarf, nice work mr Taylor :mad:
    But in doing so now I think I've knocked the reg out of tune as the gauge reads higher than it used to, it used to read 100 bar, topped it up with my bottle & now it reads the same as my bottle, which is 140 bar (just off to fill it) how do you tune a reg ?

Steve

8. Andy006

Andy006 Member

You could send it to Mr Taylor.:):D

9. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I would not send another rifle to him, EVER.

10. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

You may have a problem there then unless someone else will touch his reg. They seam to all have different ways of setting them and it all appears time consuming = money. I had a secondhand Welham reg in my 400 for a while and Dave was very helpful in telling me how to set it but the constant in and out soon wore the O rings and I gave it up as a bad job.

Personally I would throw it in the bin and go back to standard and live with 60 good shots, their fps variation will probably be tighter anyway.

Good luck trying to find someone.

See you Sunday.

Monkey

11. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thanks Andy, a bit of trial & error earlier & I seem to have got it shooting sweet again after the 3rd attempt, better than before on paper so no excuses for Sunday I hope & it seems to like the 4.53's again running 777-783fps.... I think like any woman she needed a bit of attention :D

12. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I've just gone through exactly the same think with my Air Ranger....I always used 4.52's then changed to 4.53's.When I ran out of 53's I tried going back to 52's with terrible results and even after cleaning the barrell it wouldn't group. I've now changed from JSB's altogether as it was doing my head in.

Dave

13. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Unless I used an old tin of pellets.. just remembered I put in a load of old tins, I'll have to keep an eye on it when I've used the ones I have up..