Wieghing Pellets

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by BOMBER, Mar 17, 2010.

1. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

When weighing a tin of pellets what are the acceptable tolerances if the pellet weight is supposed to be 8.4 :confused:

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I don't really concern myself with the actual weight, as long as it's legal obviously. I tend to just stick them into 0.1 brackets and pick one bracket out as I go along.

3. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

Ok Rob to put it another way, after weighing a tin of 500 pellets i have 130 at 8.4 and the rest range from 8.0 to 9.2 is this acceptable after paying £7.50 a tin:confused:

4. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    With JSB exact I get about 250 at 8.5, 100 at 8.4, 100 at 8.6 then about 50 either side of this Lowest I have had is 8.2 highest 8.7.

I got real bored with it and dont bother any more and my average scores have improved , Whats all that about!!!

5. RobF

Club:
    I've had some bad tins... depends how wide spread the spread is so to speak.

I've had some tins of mozzies where i've not even been able to weigh 150 because there's been so much damage.

On a typical tin of my mozzies, i end up with 1/3 7.8, 1/3 7.9 and about 1/6 7.7 and 1/6 8.0 , and a few odd ones out either side... i have had better tins, and i've had worse.

Don't know what the exacts are like down the club... but one of the batches is supposed to be good accuracy wise from the tin without fettling... and for members, they're cheaper than £7.50 ;)

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

It's about right Mick, that's why I weigh them too. I use 8.4's and 8.5's for comps and everything else going into a heavy or light plinking tin. None get wasted then.

It's odd that I've had my pb's in HFT and FT using pellets from the tin!

Ryan

7. RobF

Club:
    Sshh you, don't be giving all the secrets away :D

8. Steve

Steve Member

I used to weigh them,but can't be bothered anymore and my scores have gone up in FT.Thats with JSB's

9. Big Dave

Big Dave New Member

I usually get approx 200 8.2-8.3 and 300 8.5-8.6 with AA fields and use whichever weight group gets to the required number of pellets, for the weekend or Sunday, first.

10. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Now I no longer weigh pellets all mine are the same....it says so on the tin:D:D:D

It seems that while Ryans Mk3 likes JSB 4.52s though my Ranger hates them and I haven't got time to source another good batch of 4.53s like the ones I got off Chris Coombes before this weekend or the worlds.

I'm now thinking of changing to Lazerdomes or AAs for the rest of this season (unweighed,unwashed and unlubed) as I've been doing some range testing and have come to the conclusion that all that messing around is just another mind screw;)

Dave

11. NarkyMark

NarkyMark New Member

Club:
    TAWD VALE
    ....That is a good point Ryan, me too, maybe we might try harder because we feel that we have too :confused:

12. RobF

Club:
    Might be onto something there ;)

My best shoots are with a stock that i felt didn't fit, it being made for some man mountain, a scope that wasn't the best I have, but worked at the time, and it was broken and stuck on 40x, which means I had to work at position and orientation much more...

i'm not sure the rig is any better, i think i just became aware of the deficiencies more and worked harder to make the most of what i had, rather than worry about what I didn't.