Why the M25 ???????

Discussion in 'WHFTA Official forum' started by popsheep, Apr 6, 2010.

1. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

The 2 Petes gave me the job of fronting the Lakes course and setting the targets ,a great honor not just for my-self but for the club which I belong to .
    So as alot of you know Cleve Bull and myself put out all the courses for MAD ,[only we cant get a job so we have more time than any-one else],so when we were asked we rang Ian Hartford and asked if we could recky the grounds for the Worlds and we made our visit in late NOVEMBER last year ,we took photo;s took measurements ,drawings and spent about 6 hours on site [but looked after by the house staff with plenty of tea as it was snowing all day ]
    I helped with the setting up of the 2009 Lakes course but we wanted it to be in 2010 as good as the land would allow us to get the course and with planning I hope we did .
    On getting back and googleing and our drawing etc etc etc we came up with something about what we shot on Sun/Mon but what we had to do was fill up that empty piece of land which was open and boring because by using the woods this year at the end on the right [pegs 13 to 24 ]for safety reasons we could;nt use the boat house area which was in use last year .
    So what were we to do ,I do a bit of driving and one day I was sitting in traffic on the M25 and looking out of the window there was signs and arrows everywhere you looked and that was it ,just like that
    I rang Cleve and said I;ve got it ,we are doing the theme of the M25.
    So the work began in ernest, wood ,paint,screws,nails and alot of time and effort anything that you get when there is roadworks we tried to implement into our theme .
    My thanks go to Lloyd Davies for the flash workings in the Gatso[hes a engineer dont you know ]the fish was supplied by Shepreth and we thank you.
    So for the moaning people please think before you put pen to paper ,some-one is doing something to try and give you a good day out ,with no payment at all,we do it because we want to do it and yes I like that pat on the back or listern to that [Which Basssstard put that course out ]its that buss I get out of the sport and knocking over a few targets is way down the list of my priorities

So I;ve read what you thought about the M25 and I thank you [sorry Woki]
    Ian and i;m sure Cleve Bull

2. g.l.w

g.l.w Wonky

No worries Ian, I,l get over it in the next 12 months....................;):)

3. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Ian

I thought it was the mutts nuts,

A few people said to me about the Dartford tunne,l that they thought it was unfair, I asked why and they told me that the string went through the right hand tunnel and that is where they shot.

I asked "How did you know that the target was in the up position when you took the shot, if you say, you could not see it then you should not have taken the shot and called a marshal?"

I personally would never shoot at a target i could not see because how would I know if I had killed it?.

You did a fantastic job and I hope the theme for next year will be just as good.

Gary

4. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    You could tell a lot of time & thought went into the M25 targets, but I don't think anyone would have guessed you put that much time & effort into it Ian & Cleve (& anyone else that helped), good on you, you are what keeps HFT looking fresh & interesting. As Gary said, you don't shoot what you can't see, if you took the time to take a look you could clearly see the target in the left tunnel.

Many thanks

Steve

ps that fooking traffic light was bastid heavy to carry back to the signing in area ;)

5. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Ian, I loved the target placements and all the effort you both put into every course you build, but I don't think it needed all the theatrics to showcase your talents. It's the World championships that makes it interesting enough. To me it's a showcase for the sport so if someone walks past and thinks that looks like fun I'll go and get along to a club or maybe buy a couple of targets to use in their garden. My mate from work was well confused by it all but at least I can explain it to him now.:)

It certainly was a bitch of a course which I enjoyed shooting and I'm glad I refreshed my memory on what distances smaller kills could go!:)

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'm still trying to work out how anyone can come off there just 3 down...

7. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

HFT not FT :p:p:p:D:D:D

Ian the Gatso was great, as usual I got flashed but this time I did'nt swear:D The spectators I saw over there were well impressed. Wonder how many claimed a 1 for hitting what they thought was a target in the right hand tunnel though ;):( As for that frickin wind, did you borrow Sparky's bloody goat mask:D:D

8. bobSki

bobSki New Member

Club:
    Leicester & District Small-Bore rifle and Pistol Club
    I think the course setters did a great job. What I would like to know though, is how long did it take you to train that bloody Canadian Goose to swim past the Dartford Tunnel just as I was about to squeeze my trigger :eek: I had to wait for his arse to get clear before I dropped the target :D

I didn't score very highly only managing 2 44's but I enjoyed the courses very much indeed. So well done and thanks for your efforts

Bob

9. whisperl96a1

whisperl96a1 Member

Chris my pants looked like sparky's goat mask or even an Egyptian death mask after that camera went off on the M25 section. Just finished chipping them off now.:D:D:D

10. Kenny-W

Kenny-W New Member

I thought the 'dump' style shoots were a breath of fresh air, i can only imagine that any complaints recieved were by shooters who possibly lay down and assumed! Well we all know where assumption gets us in life :)

Well done for making me and i 'assume' a few other shooters smile.

rgds
    kenny

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  11. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

Iain,

Loved it.

reminded me of all those Monday mornings and Friday nights looking at the entrance to that bloody
    tunnel :) I did manage to shoot the target through the right tube as well :)

The effort that went into the target placement was clear for all to see who took part.

More power to your elbow mate, would have been nice to see the Gatso flash for an overpowered
    rifle though :)

Once again mate, apologies for not being available for bringing in the targets. Next time for sure.

Neal

12. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I thought they were fun and appreciated the obvious effort that went into them.

Well done and thank you.

Boz

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  13. rubi-tong

rubi-tong Bernies MY *****

I thought the M25 part was Brilliant You could tell a lot of time and effort went into it and the rest of the course, a truely excellent weekend. Well done to all

14. Lloyd_D

Lloyd_D New Member

Amazing :D even if I do say so myself

managed to floor the gatso rat, very satisfying
    the lakeside bound tunnel rat got away :rolleyes:

15. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Well done to all the course setters...i for one appreciate the hard work that goes into setting a course.

I have been thinking about the theme thing to try and make the lake course more interesting.....how about each participating club brings along a target relevent to thier particular club.

For example the lads and lasses at Quarry would make some sort of dragon (or sheep) target. Emley moor already have a large tower target....you get the idea. Would make it a damn sight easier for the lads setting the course out and would highlight the clubs that put in the effort year by year in the UKAHFT rounds.

16. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Without wanting to sound like a wet weekend I've always been more of a fan of strategically placed targets which make use of nothing more of terrain and surroundings rather than unnatural themes.
    I'm up for a bit of fun but would like to think of HFT as a serious target sport....would you expect to see a crazy golf course at the FT worlds in South Africa ?....I don't think so.
    MAD last year was a perfect example of how a course can be made difficult with no tricks of gimmicks.
    This year the Midlands hunters had some cracking courses and some in both woodland and open fields yet no cardboard cut outs were used in any if these.
    Just my take on it guys but I would like to see it left natural.;)
    If ever I have set a gimmick target it has been the choice of the main course setter and not mine but if the surrounding are very boring and there is nothing to use then I would rather shoot through a hole in a built natural stone wall or even a cage than see a bog seat in my scope then have to flush the chain to reset the target....very cheesy yuck!!!!!:)
    Remember guys that at these events forign shooters come miles, many for the first time to shoot HFT and return home to shoot serious FT competition....hopefully not telling the fellow country men that British HFT is not really a serious sport because the targets are nothing but a bit of a laugh.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010