Why isn't English Elm used for stocks?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Gilogrt, May 9, 2011.

1. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
    Been thinking of making a stock for my S400 so looked at prices of blanks and though, NO!
    While removing a mostly dead elm today I thought I'd take the largest bit and see how it looks.
    Couldn't find anything about elm stocks on the web so thought I'd ask here and post a few pics of what it looks like before going in to season.

I've cut it so the pith is gone for the most part as that is where cracks come when seasoning. I've somewhat straightened one edge where the action will go.
    I've put a coating of wax on the bottom and top then both ends so hopefully the moisture will escape from the big open sides. As the sides have no wax you can't see the grain but you can get an idea from the top and bottom. There is a nice bit of grain on the underside.
    P.s, the rough drawing on one side is back to front. Was just trying to figure which way to do it!

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/gilogrt/1a36a143.jpg
    http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/gilogrt/fd70f7e0.jpg
    http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/gilogrt/8a4ba938.jpg
    http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/gilogrt/8e956748.jpg

2. Jon

Jon Member

I am probably the only one who has used English Elm, bought the lot at a timber yard in 94 though was naturally dried.
    Cant remember but done well in excess of 10 stocks from it and have enough for one large stock left.

To give you some idea of the strength i had a 3 foot strip approx 1/2" thick and got a 20 stone customer to jump on it raised at both ends. It eventually broke after 6 attempts jumping on it on par with birch laminates from US.
    As a comparison that american black kiln dried from lumber yard in abundance is too brittle, slightest impact it will go with thumbhole and integral trigger cutout. The stuff from Oregan is pretty good though and works totally different although kiln dried.

Main reason Elm isnt used is because nearly all the trees were cut down, think it was in the 60's with the epidemic of Dutch Elm disease, therefore not available.
    Sure they used to make coffins out of it.

Have seen as many as 7 different colours in a stock, looks great with that zig zig pattern that changes colour with direction looked at.
    Usually light yellowish in colour in general but do have a few stocks were areas are very dark brown like rough sanded and finished american black.
    Works well with power and hand tools in fact better than most walnuts inc plus you can get a mirror finish and depth.

In the drying process, hope it dont crack or split which might not be visible until you start working with it. Saying that, it will still be stronger than most woods.

3. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
    Thanks for that. Spoke to a big timber merchant this morning about getting it dried in a Kiln but gave me some tips and said that air drying it would be better and that it should be down to 15% in around 4 months. That should be perfect then. Kiln drying can cause internal stresses that can come out when you get into it.
    Bring on the winter.

4. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
    May have I.d'd wrong. Think it is a lump of Wych Elm! Which is better news.

5. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  6. dozbadthebad

dozbadthebad NEFTA Clasic 2018

Club:
    NELSON
    id love some if the price is right but its for an FT stock for my EV2 so nice and big
    so if aval let me know
    picks if pos

rgds doz

7. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
    No probs. Will keep you informed.

8. DougR

DougR New Member

Beware - e.m.c. for timber in a centrally heated house in the UK typically runs 8% to 10% - and for many species you get quite large movement between 15% and 8%.

Wytch Elm sometimes has a striking green coloured figure through it - can be a stunning looking timber.

9. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
  10. digitaldwarf

digitaldwarf New Member

those "ahem "scraps look awesome
    i don't suppose that you might have some other spare scraps available ?
    im looking for something special for a knife that im making ;)

11. Jon

Jon Member

Sand and finish it better and those v^v^ wil pop out at you and change colour.
    Needs a proper oil finish.

12. Gilogrt

Gilogrt Member

Club:
    Greyhound/Kibworth
    Agreed. It is sanded real smooth but the wax isn't doing it justice. What oil do you recommend? I've used birchwood casey on a beech stock but not too impressed. Would quite like to leave the pattern of the pores exposed.