Why aren't scope wheel 'comma' more popular?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by pirellip, Nov 22, 2010.

1. pirellip

pirellip Member

About a year ago I tried a comma as a side wheel for my Nikko Diamond 10-50. It was a Mac1 design

http://mac1airgunstore.com/product_...d=369&osCsid=56741e3ada027282da344228d4f441f9

It's 4", so at the longer distances, from 45-55, it gives an effective wheel size of 8", but it's still able to fit in most rifle cases.

Setting it up required aiming at an FT target at EVERY yard, from 10 to 55, as the spacing isn't linear. BUT from the 50 to 55 yard markings, I have a very clear distinction, and am able to always range find to within 1 yard. It works very well for me.

I'm wondering why they're not more popular? Is it because of their requirement to setup every yard? Or am I missing some negative to this setup?

2. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    not popular, maybe has people not heard of them I,ve not, there is no picture on the site. several options open to us in the uk

Gary

3. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    HI tom i use a Leupold competition with a 70mm side wheel i have marked the side wheel from 10YDS minimum distance the scope will focus down to then every yard upto and including 20yards after that i have marked it in 5 yard increments upto 65yards, most of the guys in the uk have there scopes marked in a similar way so a in between distance i just divide my dialing IE i dial 3.1 for 50 yards and 4.5 for 55 yards so if i was to rangefind a target approx 52/53 yards i would dial 4 approx half way between. The gaps i have between 50 and 55 yards on my side wheel is about 6-8 mm so i do not really need the device you have mentioned but quite a few of the guys who use Nikko sterling or BSAbig 60 scopes that are i think 10-50 mag do use the device or something very similar, hope this answers your question PS Leupold comps are probably the 2nd most popular scope behind the Nikko/Bsa in the UK . regards steve

4. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi gary i think they are pretty much the same as the attachment that Ian Taylors brother makes and sells that slide over the Nikko side wheel

5. Jon

Jon Member

As above its the control you need not the gap size, all errors will be the same regardless of spacing and why i wont do them.
    Did do a wheel and mushroom extention up to 8 yrs ago but too time consuming and served no real purpose, last two went to Netherlands.

6. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    If you got greater gaps though does that not give you better resolution, so long as it is repeatable?

7. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Will bigger gaps can start to make range finding quite vague at best you do not want a target in focus forever far better to snap in and out, when i bought my comp i reparallaxed it 3 times before i was happy.

8. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Where you start range finding on image quality as opposed to is it in focus or not?

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Sidewheel ?

I have a lupe Comp X sidewheel , curtesy of mr paige ( sometimes known as a northern b-----d ) but unlike him i left my scope alone and went with bringing the scope into focus from up IE 80 yards to clear , then slowly just bringing the scope back till it just starts to go out of focus . FIN . works for me and very quick to ??? HOLLY