Who's your inspiration?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by greyskullnz, Aug 29, 2009.

1. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Probably a post out of left field,......but when I first started shooting air rifle 20 years ago over in this distant land there was an organised FT scene already going in UK. We bought the Magazines imported by our sports shops (usually a couple months behind) and we sat at the club discussing who and what was happening in far off UK.

I was a keen follower of Mr Field Target back then, Nick Jenkinsen. I followed the inception of the World Champs, and after a few intervening years I am now going to see one close up. So I suppose Mr J was an inspiration to pick up where I left off shooting a decade ago when the kids all growed up and left home.

Keen to hear who has been your inspirational shooting legends over the years, and at what stage you picked up the game.......

I'll start:

Nick Jenkinsen in the beginnings, and over the last few years Andy Calpin, what a gent giving up his glass trophy at GP9!

GS

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I suppose I have been lucky in that I live in a region with some great FT shooters.

Been at it for around 10 years and shot alongside people such as Andy Calpin, Ian Taylor and the late (and much missed) Dave Baines.

The one thing that stands out for all three is their incredible consistency - very rare that any of them had / have a bad day and you know that to win you will have to be 100% on your game.

Out of the three I think Dave was my inspiration - he just made it look so easy :)

Dave.

3. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    Dave 'Kingplinker' Dawes is my shooting inspiration. No matter how bad a day I'm having, I just have to think of him, then I realise how bad it could be. :p;):D

4. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

That brought a tear to my eye that did Charles , thanks :D

5. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

ROFL
    :D

gs

6. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Mmmm

No one inspires me in this sport as its not about any one person . I admire the people who go out in all weathers and put in the time to set courses and run our clubs but if I had to be pinned down to one name who has shown me what is achievable in hft it would have to be Guy Gillies . :eek:

I recall a few years back at the Southern Hunters at Ford where Guy cleared the course , the only one on the day too . I had not been shooting hft for long and was suitably impressed and I couldn't have been happier for a young shooter . ( just a shame he turned into a mouthy git really ) lol

Anyone who shoots well inspires me in fact .

atvb

Dave - Guy's number one bunny boiler fan :D:D:D