Who should a national course be aimed at?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Aug 10, 2011.

?

Who should a BFTA be aimed at?

1. It's there to test and split the best...

24 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. It should be there for all the grades...

52 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Ok, this is unscientific because it's a straw poll and based upon who reads it...

I've not made it public, so people can't see who said what.

Who should a BFTA GP be aimed at in your opinion?

2. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Split the best for me

3. TourneySteve

TourneySteve New Member

Club:
    Midshires
    Well if its open to all grades, then there should be something there for everyone.

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Open to anyone, but there to split the best.

5. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    A GP is a test of stamina and mental concentration. It should be there to split the current best. Perhaps AA is 'lost' if a shooter takes time out or misses a series. Make AA hard to get, easy to lose.

If a GP is only for a small elite then there may well be serious cost issues?? Why would a club host a GP if relatively few can participate (1 or 2??)? Unless they charge for it as a means to support other events for 'all grades' ?

So, if you can get Lottery funding, for example, then restrict a GP to the very best otherwise it would be based on simple charity from non-AAs - time costs money, fuel, etc. After all it is a lousy spectator sport :)

Neil

6. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Nice colour choice for the bars Rob; it reminds me of the General Election :)

7. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I don't think a GP course should be any different from any other course....
    I always thought that an FT course should be set up to provide something for all abilities, test the best but not discourage the newcomers or less able shooters.
    It's bloody difficult to achieve and to get the balance right, but that's a skill in itself.:)

8. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    I am just starting out down the road of FT, so my take on this will be different to many. I appreciate that the GP's attract the current cream of the crop. However, we all need to start somewhere. I think it would be a really great way to discourage people by making them so elitist. You would be taking away the opportunity to shoot with the best and "see how it's done".
    GP's may not be the place for somebody's first shoot, but you would be taking away a lot of opportunity. The sport should not just be about the top 1%. It would have the potential to put many off and effectively kill the sport if these opportunities were taken away from the majority to suit the minority.
    With the best will in the world, a lot of the opinions posted on here are likely to be from that relatively small group of very good shots, who seem to make up many of the users on here, which will give a slanted perspective on the matter. I understand that you guys want a way to "split the best" but that should not be done at the expense of the majority of shooters who make up the rest of the field.

9. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I agree that we really don't want to kill the sport by discouraging newcomers, so club and regional courses should not be so difficult that newcomers can't hit anything.
    But as I said earlier, GP's should be open to all AND split the best, so if the top 20 AA competitors are split by 2 or 3 targets then the GP's are currently not hard enough.
    Newcomers should expect a lower score at a GP compared to their club course.

Atb

Alec.

10. fredyninefingers

fredyninefingers Non member

i would say try putting a shoot on were only AA grade shooters are invited to attend..no moneys would be made,no money for prizes ,would make for a real boreing day out all you top lads out doing each other...the grades are there to involve all abilities from starter to cream of the crop.....
    alot of clubs haven't the space to put multipal courses out to cater for all grades so a course has to cater for everybody...all you AA grade shooters have gotten there by shooting the current and previous courses ,courses which were set out to cater for everybody.
    now that you have reached the dizzy heights of AA you want it makeing more challengeing so you can be kept interested and challenged and the lower grades dont get the same oppotunity to reach the top, allienateing the rest is the way forward.....NOT!!!

11. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    I say and voted it should split the best, current format with a few tweaks. Striking the balance is very difficult, targets should be set out in a way that they are there to be HIT, NOT missed.
    Its wrong to set out too challenging a course, especially if it is open to all grades, for those who travel at expense and get demoralised, it ruins enjoyment.:(

I once was told by a wise old man that a perfect course was clearable by one person, therefore not so difficult that nobody could hit them all but at a level it would take somebody on form to get them all!
    No clearances this season...yet!;)

IMO there should be a couple of regional shoots 3/4 possibly 5 (claendar might be tight) set on on a rotational basis each season called the BFTA BB's (ball busters) :cool:, 50 targets from hell set out to a highly difficult level, should keep AA challenged, on their toes for the Worlds, euros etc and also open to all brave enough to attend but again, pitched at a format for those of a high standard. :D Could be fun.

Conor

12. rich

rich Active Member

The GP scene is elitist already. Look at the number of people who enter and compare that to the much larger number of card-carrying BFTA registered shooters.

Maybe it doesn't set out to be elitist but don't drive it further in that direction.

What do you think the BFTA annual registration fee would have to be if the burden fell on only the shoulders of those who take part in GPs?

13. NJR 100

Club:

14. NJR 100

Club:
    I`m with Conor, but as pointed out cant vote for both. The shoot is there for all, but dont make it easier?

One of the things i would like to see is shorter range targets, with out making it easier!
    This would do away for the need with the super scopes. Make the competion one where cheaper equipment can be seen to compete with the super scopes + guns and it looks more attractive to new comers /those on a lower budget?
    Put the emphasis on shooting skill.
    Hence, standing and kneeling 25 ml kills to 30 yards.
    25 ml kills to 40 / possibly 45 yards

I know I am not alone in thinking although the "must" have reducers have braught the ranges down on some shots, we then have a mass of 50 + shots to contend with which has been a bit boaring in some shoots? Can think of at least three Gp where there were about x 14 50 + yarders? just seemed a bit long range side shoot at times?

Gp's are not too wrong now in my opionion, just needs further tweeking?

Grading!

15. rich

rich Active Member

Didn't FT begin with 50 yards max, and then that went out to 55 once too many folk with PCPs were doing too well?:):D

It's that extra 5 yards that has largely driven the demand for expensive scopes.

16. NJR 100

Club:
    I can remeber shooting 55y in early 1990 but kills were 50 ml!
    Saying that, pellets were rubbish compared to today!

17. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Well-Known Member

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    i personally dont think we should be making a elite group what soever , as it is the shoots are fine if we could get the regions to adhere to the rules. for me myself included 95% of the shooters who shoot the gps shoot for fun and a good day out , but shoot them competetively , lets not make it a shoot just for the big guns . leave it a sport for all to enjoy. off for me dinner.:):)

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Cripes it gets dark up there quick, it's only lunchtime here :D

19. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    Talk to most newcomers and what do they fear? Standers...putting more in or making them reducers will put more shooters off and either turn those targets into a lottery shot, like we saw in SA two years ago, or open out the lead the top end AA grade shooters already have.:)
    Rob, sometimes it doesn't get light at all up here, never mind dark early!:D

20. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    You have hit the nail on the head there Rich, it's one area where the BFTA missed a trick (imho) by not introducing a mag limit all those years ago when scopes with upwards of 24x started to become the norm.

There's nothing more mind numbingly boring than courses that contain lane after lane of 50+ yarders "'cos this course won't get cleared"

National shoots should be for all grades, if a course gets cleared, so what - someone has shot damn well!
    If you end up in a shoot off, you get the chance to go head to head with the other top shooters on the day, great!