Which Springer?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Flannelmeister, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Flannelmeister

Flannelmeister New Member

So, in a moment of madness 18 months ago I bought a house and everything had to go, including my FT shooting and all my gear :mad:

I have been missing my shooting and with a bit of overtime on the horizon am thinking of getting back into it but on a strict budget.

This means no spending out on charging gear and a PCP, it would have to be a springer with a scope that would be good enough to do some Sporting Field Target or/and mebbe some HFT.

So, with a likely budget of not much more than £350 to £400, which springer is going to be accurate enough out to 55 yards (once I learn how to shoot the bloody thing!) ?

Oh, and it will need to be lefty friendly too.

All suggestions gratefully received

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    TX

I would have to be a secondhand TX200 , preferably in a gnib stock ??? HOLLY:)

3. Flannelmeister

Hi Holly, Is a thought but of course the pesky anti-bear trap button isn't ideally placed for a lefty. :(

I was wondering if any of the break barrel designs were up to the mark accuracy-wise.

For an underlever, I see that I could get a new HW97K in the thumb hole ambi synthetic stock for £293, hmmmm .....

4. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Again a TX and i`m a lefty,soon got used to it :D it`s a superb gun straight out of the box :shot:

5. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Off

The MK one has not got one , a bear trap that is and you can just tap out the pin on it on the later ones and use it without as far as i know . the MK one will be cheaper too . a good HW77 is the other choice of course . with bit of tuning they can be very good indeed . sandwell sports or venom . but i still think the TX out of the box is as good as anything . no tuning nes ??? HOLLY:)

6. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    The main thing here to consider is how each gun feels to you personally and if because of that any one type will be more hold sensitive than another, many would agree that the Air arms pro-sport can be very hold sensitive. I had one and it was fine sitting FT style and kneeling but standers went high.
    By comparison neither my HW97 or 77 alter with positional changes.
    The TX's are excellent, but you do need to try some out before buying one as the differences in lock time vary with the MK's. If going for a HW i would look for a good secondhand one and then put the money saved into tuning it.
    I have one of the synthetic stocked versions and they are even more muzzle heavy than the standard gun due to the hollow plastic stock, again, no good if you prefer a more neutrally balanced gun.:)

7. Flannelmeister

Thanks all.

The consensus seems to be a TX200. I am a bit surprised that one would be in my priice range, as I said my total budget to include scope/gun/bag etc is only £400. Bearing in mind they only make the TX200 in left-hand in walnut I was thinking it would be beyond my means and supposed I would get recommendations for cheaper guns.

EDIT

Looks like there is going to be less overtime than first appeared so will be looking right down the bottom of the bargain basement.

I don't think a TX200 will be at all possible. Bugger.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  8. gasman1

gasman1 New Member

if you decide on a hw97kt, go for the wooden stocked one. as its an ambi stock you should be ok with it. in fact when you think about it the ambi stock is better for a leftie than a right handed person. the reason bieng you can flick the safety off with your trigger finger. a right handed person has to take his thumb out of the hole to reach over the top sand flick the safety with his thumb or finger.

the balance feels better with the wooden stock than it does with the synthetic stock. also the wooden stock has the adjustable butt pad. the other models dont.

9. dead eye kai

dead eye kai New Member

Club:
    cambridge
    Is there no chance you could save a bit longer. That way you could have enough to get a tx or 97. I use a 97kt with a wooden stock and love it. But if that's your budget then maybe start looking at a s/h hw80 or 95. The 80 is the heavier rifle which should help on aim. I'll stick my neck out here and say these two are probably the best break barrel rifle you can buy. If you could get somewhere and shoulder both then the choice is yours. If it was me then I'd try and save a bit more.

10. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    All great guns Weihrauchs are quality when tuned especially the 77/97 and the 98. Personally out the box the TX and Prosport take some beating. I own all of them and I love shooting each one I still havent mastered any of them!!:D

11. Gerry

Gerry Member

Club:
    None
    In my opinion, the TX is very hold sensitive .

I think the HW is far more user friendly .

I had a big problem with my TX , when changing position , zero changed about 2 inches , between sitting & kneeling ...

Always trying to remember to aim off when kneeling did my head in.

I have tried a few HWs , & feel happier with them right now to be honest.:)

Good luck mate .

12. alexb

alexb New Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    Another vote for TX

I have the MK3 not the HC. Keep them to around 10.5 using either AA or JSB in 8.4ish grain it'll be a dream to shoot and to work on. They just need a little bit of tidying up on the trigger 20 min job tops, guide is on the AAOC as there a little bit spongy compared to the HW Rekord.

But the HW's are very nice too coin flip time :)

atb
    Alex

13. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    Mark there is a left handed TX200 on the bbs

Gary