1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which scope

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by villiers, Apr 25, 2011.

1. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    So the big question which of the big scopes came out on top at the weekend,March v S&B PMII. And did they shift in the temp ? How hot did it get:). Have to get a scope sorted asap:rolleyes:

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    On the S&B front .i don't think any top shooters were using one . neil daniels when i asked him why he was not using his , said that cos he wanted to make the worlds england team had gone back to his old scope . cos he could not take a chance on a new scope at this stage ( lot of good it did him ) and the weather in the morning was cold . dunno if anybody was using one in the afternoon . mike willis is selling one . try him ??? HOLLY:)

3. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    pm11

my pm2 was sold on sunday , i know robbie and allan chambers used theres the weekend , robbie was in the next lane to me , he loves his , and allan is well happy with his , the only reason i sold mine was i found it heavy on the domi

4. CAC

CAC Member

Pm 11

Used mine Don, as did Robbie Black ... They move about 3/4 yds but totally predictable ...set mine up at about zero degrees only shifts when temp hits around 20 degrees ... Happy with mine so far and does not show the same movement as the FT model,

Alan

Beat me to it Mike , one finger typing from me :):)

5. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I think the top 2 placed shooters used Nikkos followed by a few Leups (differing models) (not sure what scope Marc Fisher uses) and a couple of Burris.

Looks like joint 9th places before the first S&B and March users.

I don't think temp / shift was an issue though - just the tricky wind.

Dave.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Mine went into the shift window in the afternoon... we turned up and it was cold, by the time i'd ambled to the lane, the temp had climbed from 14 degrees at 11:30 to 28 degrees... i instantly made a decision to work with the +28 degree shift point, any my 3 early misses were bang on horizontal, click perfect (even better than Ozzy's early miss, which was a pellet high :D)... it went up to 32 according to the scope temp strips, but held (like it normally does)... however, later in the afternoon, it dropped down below 28, right down to 22, where I needed to use my experience and judgement to call when it had come back down. It didn't cost me a shot I am happy to say.

What I am also dealing with is a pressure/temp issue on the walther where she seems to climb 3/4 MOA(ish) at a certain point, but I am still unsure if it's overfill pressure doing it, or temp, because both have occured when I've seen it. But I think apart from 3 misses, I could see plainly them all land and i didn't see anything odd.

I checked a few ranges in conversation during and after the shoot, and they agreed with 2-3 other shooters, even though i had and hadn't been taking into account temp shift at different times of the day.

It was one of those days where i'd like to have roasted her and kept her roasted. She gains and loses heat quite quickly, within 10 mins or so, so for days like Harriers, she does need an eye kept on her... but I think these are quite rare... you'd need the combination of an exposed course, with a changing temperature... in summer, it's likely the ambient wouldnt move up and down so much in a day, and in winter, you'd probably not get her up to 28. So far, that's only occured at 2 shoots.

From talking to Alan, it seems the PMII behaves in a similar manner, with a switch like shift point, either side of which she is stable. I had mine as low as 3 degrees, and she was fine, but I don't know what happens lower than that.

I have found that mine reads 2.5 yds (ish) at 55yd short on bright white paper targets, so they are out of the equation for rangefinding at plinking ranges now.

As Dave says, the wind was my biggest issue, but then it's harriers and I've always struggled there with that sort of wind across those lakes. I think perhaps gun shift was probably more predominant.

You'll still have to prise her off me... and my first port of call would be a march, but then it's down to your taste and wallet... i've started digging through H's jewelry collection and looking up local pawn shops... one of those 80's in silver and another 60 for the springer would be nice hey :D

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Took

I took my PM11 on the shutz down the club for two hours this afternoon . the long and short of it was that i was thinking that perhaps with the PM it might be to heavy a rifle for an old fart . nope , yes it is heavy . but because the stock fits so well it balances it properly ( it looks like a monster and all will laugh at it ) we will see next friday when i set it up propely ??? HOLLY

8. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

That's just not asseptable.......

off to the naughty step!

:D

9. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    My March

To be honest,

Mine didnt give me any issues Sunday, none whatsoever thankfully.

I have tested my scope which is the 8-80x56.

I know when I have left the scope out in the direct sunlight at around 20-26C it under ranges by a yard at 55 yards. I think I can live with that to be fair. Sunday, I missed 4 for wind 1 split 6 oclock and a shocking twitch on a stander.

Cant be bad fair play, so pleased with mine it AINT for sale ever. I havent said that since I started using my Weaver haahaa......

1 yard under at 55 yards in 25C is pretty good, saying that I originally set it up at -6C, the day before the Millride winter league, Im sure the lads remember how cold that day was.

Berty

10. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Scope leader board

From Gp1, as best as i can work out

1 - Nikko - Jack
    2 -Comp (x40 i think) - ozzy
    3 - nikko - Fish
    4 - nikko - Calps
    5 James woodhead - ? Not sure
    6- Mk4 Luep - Me
    7 - Dave Semmens ?
    8 - Comp - Gilly
    9 - Ashley - Burris ?
    10 -Simon higgins -Nikko?
    10 - Ian taylor - Comp
    11 - Dave Schofield - ??
    12- Beryy -March

11. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Might be wrong here but i think James Woodhead uses a Burris , Dave Semmens x 45 Comp , Dave Schofield Big Nikko & think Ian Taylor uses a 20 - 50 Leup ?

I might be wrong ? Been wrong before ?

12. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    I think your right Scott

Scott,

I think you are right bud, I also like the fact that Simon has put me 12th. I am pretty sure from Ash Holloway down to myself had the same scores haahaa.......

Im happy with my new scope though, more than happy, it impresses me everytime I use it, thats how good I find it lads.......

Berty

13. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I was only copying from the results list of names, not really looking at the scores.

14. RobF

Club:
    Aw bless...I like the fact you picked it up.... and you let him know :D

15. RobF

Club:
    Tell you what though, does say it aint all about the scope though don't it. No surprises in those scores really, all been there or there abouts before, and there was a few new toys out to play at GP1.

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Very Interesting ?

One thing of interest is how much a March scope will sell for when one comes up for sale secondhand . three grand for the big one . so how much will they ask i wonder ??? HOLLY
    PS as an aside , i cannot see anybody who own's a march slagging it off . if they did they would never get to sell it . similar to the S&B FT version at the mo .

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  17. RobF

Club:
    remember hols, these are long range benchrest and F class scopes, so they have another market. That aspect was a consideration when i bought mine, if it needed no adaptation for FT, there was a market for it. And if it was pants i was prepared to take a risk for the sake of a few £100... cripes knows i've spent more on that on bits for FT only to not use them and sell for less later.

18. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    My scope

That my view on the PMII as well if it don't work for me it will go on a powder burner no problem, the FT scope only goes out to 70m so can't be used else where so it has scrap metal value.;)

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    S&B FT model .

I have tro say having used the lupe 20+50 for years . a model that is notorious for changing in the light . heat and cold . i really think that shooters have gone overboard on the FT model . if my PM 11 changes a bit here and there , i can live with it ??? HOLLY