WHICH scope.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by bow, Oct 3, 2013.

1. bow

bow Active Member

Hi all, I have a problem that i'am sure you can shed some light on, I,ve acquired a new steyr the 2014 one.
    But I don't know which scope to go for, Ive got a big nikko but its sat on the other gun, quite fancied a leopold but I have,nt a clue which one to go for, with all the enhancers and such that people put on them. anybody out there shed some light on the subject, and what does 1st 2nd 3rd focal plane mean, which one do people use for ft. many thanks.

2. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    third focal plane?,

i'd also like to know about this. :eek:

3. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Lets you shoot round corners. ;):D:D

4. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
  5. bow

bow Active Member

Sorry lads, miss read a piece from sportmangun centre ad, 2nd focal plane

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Lupe

The second focal plain is the one you are looking for . it means as you mag up the ret lines stay the same size . on the lupes . mainly there are two types used . the MK4 , which is a fixed mag at either 32 or 35 . 40 mil objective lens . so it can seem darkish unless you have very good eyes . light and needs a small sidewheel to be at it's best . small gaps between the top ranges . the 20+50 by 50 is the other comes in two types . but really the are much the same , cept some say the later models are brighter . these are very good scopes BUT can suffer from heat and light changes . also cold . personally i love em . you need to know what you are doing buying a 20+50 cos there are some right plonkers out there as well as the creme . prices for a MK4 are from £ 450 to £ 750 depending on if they are a 32 mag or a 35 mag . plus condition and of course there ability to rangefind to your satisfaction the 20+50 goes from £ 600 to £1000 . both of these need a close focus adapter to use as they mostly only come down to 15 yards without and eight yards with . try before buy . not buy before try . .??? HOLLY

7. bow

bow Active Member

Thank you holly, sounds as though I'll be looking though some scopes this sunday. [thorn dell] For the money I though the leopold had the temperature thing sussed. Is there a scope out there that doesn't suffer,? thanks again holly.

8. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Or if your not bothered about adjustable mag you could go for a Competition series Leupold. A 40 mag one would be my advice to you, and is one of the best FT scopes out there. Neil.

9. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    A March scope maybe?
    There is a thread about them in the Hunter / Field / Paper Target Chat.

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Scope

Well mate . i tell you , if you are dopey enough to leave a scope in the direct sunlight . then yes there is no scope that will not change . I wear a peaked hat to shoot in to keep the light out . when i stop in the open in strong sunlight , i put the hat on top of the scope to stop the heat getting to it . cold well do as calpin does and keep the rifle in a padded bag between lanes . personally in the winter league ,i just get the rifle out 20 mins before doing the zeroing range , watch how it is effected by any heat or cold that is different from the saturday when i checked it down the club and either add a couple of clicks or take a couple off . the diffrence in leaving a scope in the sun or cold is actually less than leaving a RIFLE in the sun or cold . the Steyr is one to watch when it gets really hot . as it will zoom up in power and be very naughty over the chrono ( i know ) Neil T will be most upset with me cos i am gonna say that the Comps are a bit , well crude . at least compared with the 20+50 . the latter just purrs along , with a lovely smooth sidewheel and clicks to die for . the comp series are really a budget line of bench rest scopes , but they look great like neil t . ( better put that in or neil maydo me a nasty ) with good clicks and sidewheel , but not great . having said that , optically good and the range finding excellent .a very light scope . as said try before buy . not buy before try . i have had all the scopes you can think of except the march ( tooooo much dosh ) and what do i reach for , yep the 20+50 , it can do it all if you can . try one ??? HOLLY:):cool:

PS try it in 32-35 mag , it will range on that and you do not have to fiddle about going up and down on the power IE ranging high shooting low .:eek:

11. bow

bow Active Member

Cheers Holly, I'll start trying a few see which ones suits, good advice thank you.

12. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    I would never say anything bad or contradictory about you Dave, and as you have been shooting a lot longer than me (you old git) you probably have more experience in such matters. I have owned a couple of 20-50 Leups and totally agree with you, that in the perameters of the scopes usage (not being too hot or cold) they are a top scope, and it's like most scopes really...you need to know when it's going to move, and the reason I don't own any 20-50s is that they move more than any other quality FT scope I've owned, I would lose 4 yds on a cold winters day with the 20-50, but only a maximum of 2yds with the Competition, that's why I only use Leup Comps as they are....for me...very predictable and I've got used to how they work over a long period of time. All the Comps Ive owned have super smooth side wheels and very positive clicks.....a lot of the top FT shooters in this country use them. Sound advice would be to try a few before committing the best part of 1K for a 20-50 or Comp series. You can pay less.....Nikko, Deben, Falcon, or more, March, S&B, Nightforce. The choice is down to how it balances your rig, how it operates and how it looks.

13. bow

bow Active Member

I agree Neil, and with Dave.[ holly?]. It appears its a difficult task picking the right scope. I did consider a S&B but I got slightly turned off the idea. very expensive bit of kit. but was told S&B won't guarantee there scope against paralex shift. they would supply one if I wanted it no probs. but my problem if the thing goes wrong. not good. for the time being I'll keep going with the nikko. But my first choice would be a leopold but like you both say its what suits and shoots well for you. thanks for the advice both of you. I think you guided me on to the right path. You think its simple this shooting game. then you pull the trigger!!!?? think again.

14. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Re, Leup 20-50s.

John Costello , is trying to get to Thorndell on Sunday( film commitments allowing) with a Steyr 100 with a Leup 20-50 on it.. They are both for sale. This would give you the ideal opportunity to try out this combination and talk to the man that wins with it. If nothing else you will get his thoughts and feelings about various scopes.
    Regards " G "

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Film ?

A film . A blooming film .:eek: What are things coming to on the FT scene ? BUT the penny now drops , this is why Rob walks about in those ripped jeans . yeah , he is looking to get into the film game :cool: now let me see , what sort of film would be right for him :rolleyes: how about " I am a FT has been " hemmm yep i could see him in that ??? HOLLY

PS with simon as co star :p

16. bow

bow Active Member

Cheers G, hope he likes cash. hmmm, 20 squid should cover it. Oh what the hell, 25 then. give me some idea's anyway. need to tax his brain on the off set handle of his. thank G.
    Hi holly just been reading the article about the S&B. very interesting, an idea that keeps going round in my head is that if the scope expands. would a spacer or a split mount front or rear mount take it out. the expansion. the idea being that being able to expand naturally with no restrictions between scope, mounts and gun. all my thinking, should stay the same. not being restricted. Locked up they must distort. if a thing grows bigger the centre stays the centre unless you change its direction,i.e. the mounts, anyone done any work in this direction.

17. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    I think you are being far to rash offereing £25-00 , you need to try it and shoot it before makeing any any decisions. Re the pistol grip you will be able to try that out at the Dell at the same time and see what you think about it. I know what John has achieved with it ,and what and Hector Gomez thinks about it ( who is he,well all will be revealed in good time ) .
    With regards to scopes my thoughts are that all scopes move in in some way or other , however my very personal opinion is that the greatest deviation comes from your eyes only , what are they doing in various temperatures , light conditions and lots of other etc, etc.

18. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Hi Glen, If it helps I will give you a 10% reduction off your rail when you buy the Steyr/Leup combo off Garard cant say fairer than that.;):D

19. bow

bow Active Member

I agree, john has done well, Hope he's not selling the rifle he won the worlds with, its a beauty. but well worth a look at I'am thinking, you might be right 25 is to much. you never said it used.hehe.

20. bow

bow Active Member

10% that's 6 squid. that makes the gun 19 squid, I'll be able to buy a raffle off trev, what a day tomorrow will be. 20 squid well spent I;aaaam thinking.hehe.