Which Scope for HFT ??

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by CharlieFarlie, Jan 1, 2012.

1. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Member of Worcester Air Rifles and Glenrothes Target shooting club.
  2. Coney

Coney New Member

Hi Charlie,

For what it's worth I use a MTC viper and it doubles up quite nicely as a hunting scope if required, it also works quite well with a addon NV scope.

Lots of guys on the hft circuit use the viper inc Chris Cundey who has won his fair share of silverware with one of these scopes :)

You are much better off with a scop that has a small objective as you can get it closer to the barrel ie you want to use the lowest mounts possible, a 60mm objective would not work well at all mate.

Alan.

3. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC

Some of the best HFT shots in the country use the MTC viper (Chris Cundey for example). Good depth of field and easy to spot parallax error as the scope goes cloudy if not looking directly down the barrel.

I have just started in the sport and have got a Hawke SR6, also a very good scope.

If your hunting then both scopes would do the job.

I'd put a wanted ad out for a s/h one though.:)

4. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    Should have read your post before posting.. Doh!!!:eek:

5. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Get yourself down to your nearest club and get a look through as many scopes as you can. Not every scope will suit your eyes so its a personal thing :D Club members will be happy to point you in the right direction and who knows you might pick up a scope there as well.

6. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Member of Worcester Air Rifles and Glenrothes Target shooting club.
    Errr I have a Hawke Airmax 3 -12/44 on My R10 !! I was advised that this was not a great scope for HFT !!! Now perhaps You understand why I'm getting so confused ??
    I have a Daystate Airwolf that I intend to use for HFT but its a .22 So I intend to buy an Air Arms EV2 When I can find one..
    But thanks anyway I am trying to understand ....
    Charlie

7. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Charlie anything under a 44mm objective will be good mate, you can ask this question to 100 people and get 100 different answers. The only way is to get along to a club or a comp and try as many scopes out as you can.:)

8. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    whoever advised you was winding you up, or doesn't actually shoot HFT. Was this the same person who also advised a 60mm objective was a great HFT scope by any chance? :)

9. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Sounds like the person advising is getting mixed up between HFT and FT.

Probably never shot either ;)

10. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC

I would suggest trying a few different guns before plumping for the EV2. Whilst its a great gun and is used for HFT its down to personal fit and ergonomics. I love the look of the EV2 but found it quite heavy when standing.

For the money you are thinking of spending, that puts you in s/h steyr territory (which i went for in the end as it just felt more comfortable). that too is a great gun. However its horses for courses and depends on your size, height arm length etc etc etc

Moral of the story is try a few guns before shelling out £800+.

Also if you become a member of a club see if there is anyone who can work on the gun you are thinking of buying. This can save a a lot of time and money.:D

11. merc350

Club:
    Emley FTC
    The guy then didn't offer to buy it off you did he?:)

12. Petervw

Petervw Member

I tried many scopes and really like my MTC Mamba Lite , that and my Hawke SR6 are the best HFT scopes for me in the +- 150 price class , never tried really expensive scopes (my wife won't let me ;-) )
    I prefer shooting at 8x but maybe you prefer 10x
    also look at what reticle you prefer
    Poisondwarf said it : go to a club and have a good look around

Peter

13. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Charlie,

I have PMed you mate,as the guys have said you need to have a squint through them, if you can make next Sunday at the club, there will be MTC vipers there, one of the guys is selling a second hand EB sniper (won more competitions than any other hft scope as I recall) and you can have a squint through my Leupold aswell.

Everyones eyes are different and you cant actually trying them.

Its the same as the advice re rifles, buy nothing until you have tried what you can. There will be EV2s, steyrs, Daystates and WALTHERS there!

Steve

14. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    If you really haven't got a clue about what you want or why you want it - don't spend any money, stick with what you've got.

If you really need to spend money, spend it on pellets, air re-fills and competition entry fees.

Practice and experience trumps expensive kit every time.

15. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I agree with Brian, the more you practice the luckier you become. :D

16. airborn68

airborn68 Member

Club:
    Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)
    Hi
    I used a Hawke panorama 4-12x40 1/2 mildot last season on my Ev2, for a budget end scope I think it's great.

Regards Jon

17. subaru swift

subaru swift I don't have a solution, I just love the problem.

Club:
    Kingsley HFT & Furnace mill.
    i have one of them on my marmite daystate mk1 ftr hunstman, as it is a great scope for the price & it does the job nice well it does for me.

& i have a viper 10x44 on my main rifle the mct wolf ( debbie the daystate ), as i do hft & some plinking about & it is a winner for me. i did have a mamba lite before but it is the same glass i hear.

however goa few clubs or ranges & try out as many as poss, has ryan as said everyone is different & we like different things.... so test away.

18. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

I've been shoooting HFT for a few years now, these are my observations on scopes used.

Objectives, range from 33mm to 44mm, the smaller the better in terms of the number of targets that will be clear to look at.
    Magnification, ranges from 8-12, and relates more to how good your eyes are.
    Reticles, range from Xhair to Mildot to Xmas tree, and relates more to how many aim points you want/need.
    Zero, ranges from 20 to 45 yards, and is more a reflection of your eyes/aim points.
    Fixed mag scopes are common but need reparallaxing to airgun ranges and your eyes.
    Adjustable objective scopes allow you to fine tune the scope to see more targets clearly.
    Prices range from £150 to £700, generally you should think of a scope being about 1/3 rd or more of the cost of the gun.

HTH

19. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    This is one of the best posts I have read for a long while!

Regards.

20. raygun

raygun Non member

Pity you didn't read it months ago.

:D:D:D

Glad you've seen the light James :)

ATB
    Ray.