Which rifle....?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Johnnywizz, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Johnnywizz

Johnnywizz New Member

I have come to shooting and field target specifically quite recently. I went at it arse about face and started with the rifle, then found the club. I equipped myself with a Weirauch HWW100 S with the fully shrouded barrel. I have come in for some stick from fellow club members for choosing this gun. Now, my problem is that whilst the guys have indeed given me some great advice I am not sure if their disapproval of the Weirauch is a wind up or if this gun will seriously hamper me getting on in this sport. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Hi great sport to get into and yes I did it arse about titts too, started with an air ranger.... great rifle but not adjustable enough for ft.

Have a look at what other members are using, as for the hw100 you won't see many on the circuit I have only seen one and non with any top shooters.

It's a good rifle for its intended purpose but that isn't ft.

Try a few of the club guys personal I would swear by steyr, very accurate and adjustable, simple to work on and get spares for.

Scope is as important so again look and try get the best budget will allow.

Most of all enjoy it

Bri

3. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

I've scored 38 with a HW100s, they group as well as any rifle and are more reliable than most!

Two jobs that need doing though are take the stock off turn it upside down and clean any grease off the hammer spring with WD40 and an artists brush, easy to do, and the other is remove the O-Ring from the barrel band, it floats the barrel and still gives some protection from knocks!

Only down side is you may feel the need to buy a proper FT stock for it in future, but the standard one is easy enough to fit hamsters, butt hooks etc to, but seeing as they cost half what a Steyr or suchlike you can improve it as you go along, try express 7.9's in it.

4. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I'm not a FT shooter, so please feel free to ignore my comment, but...

The HW100 is very reliable and accurate, so there is no issue there, for FT you do need a deeper forend and a but hook, but these can be added to a HW100.

If I was you, I would stick with the gun, get some nice glass. Spend the next year getting used to the sport and playing with other shooters kit, then when you have a better understanding of where you want to go in FT, you can change the rifle.

Don't jump into buying a Steyr or Walther until you are 100% sure which one you want and in the mean time, I have no doubt that you will take a few scalps with the HW100

Gary

5. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
  6. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Stick with the rifle..

I would personally say to stick with the rifle until it gets to the stage you feel you want to upgrade.

Most rifles these days are really good out of the box, so stick with it for now.

The big issue for a lot of people is spending a lot of money on kit and maybe finding out after a short time that the sport isnt for them..

I would say, now youve gone to a club is to have a look through the various scopes that people are using as the choice of scope is a harder decision to make than choice of rifle. A rifle can be modified or a custom stock added for comfort etc.

Deciding on a new scope is the big decision. There are loads out there to choose from.

Just my advice on the thought.. Hope this helps..

Berty Bassett

7. Joe Pike

Joe Pike New Member

Club:
    Duchy
    Which Rifle

Hi John
    Some good advice from the other replies
    personally I am not a fan of the HW100 but If you are happy using it & it is accurate there is no reason to change, to really test it you need to get off the practice range & onto the FT course its there where you will find out what extras you need to fit.
    See you at the club
    Cheers

8. roger

roger old git

Club:
    North Petherwin (alfs)
    Hw100

I have one and shoot as well if not better than with the two pro targets. I have stocked it into a CS700 left hander with hampster and adj butt plate. keep the rifle and add bits as you can. when it fits you it will be a good as any on the circiut.:lev

9. Chinnymonster81

Chinnymonster81 New Member

Club:
    Springfield ARC
    Best thing you can do is upgrade your scope before your rifle. You'll find it gives quicker results as your range finding will be better, a more accurate rifle wont make a blind bit of difference if you struggle with the range finding ( speaks the voice of experience). Most sporter rifles don't have enough adjustment but then again I've seen Richard Woods shoot 38 using his HFT rig and the scope at 10 mag (bugger makes it look easy).

10. simona

simona Active Member

I'm lucky enough to have a Steyr and a Dominator and have had lots of other FT rifles in the past. None are perfect.

I've shot a few HW100s and I really like them. The quality of finish appears superior to these top guns, the trigger's great and the firing cycle is sweet. I shot a group with one recently at 30 yards which effectively had no size at all, though this was indoors. I don't have a clue about exactly what the regulator is like or anything like that. I will say that from an action perspective I'd use one in competition.

As others have said, fit might be an issue. Even this might not be much of a problem if you don't mount the scope too high and you are fit and flexible. I seem to dig holes for myself with these adjustable guns; every time I pick up a gun with a normal wooden stock it seems a relief.

Get out there and enjoy it. You've got a quality gun there which is as accurate as anything available.

11. Dale

Dale Active Member

The rifle is a different choice, but as long as you went for a .177 calibre it should get you nicely started in the sport. I would suggest that you acquire the single shot adaptor for it as the magazine is of no benefit for use in FT.

This is good advice.

As to the 'negative' comments of the club members - ignore them and concentrate on getting to know your gun.

12. Tiger

Tiger Member

I see Dale has said as long as it is .177. I don't intend getting into the calibre debate, just wondering what weight, as this will effect trajectory?