Which rifle should I shoot at the World's

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by CameronWilson, Jan 11, 2012.

1. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    OK, so I'm filling in the entry form for the HFT Worlds, and it asks me for the manufacturers name.

Which casts up the dilemma I'm having - which rifle should I shoot?

The 2011 season has highlighted that my two biggest problems are my kneelers/standers, and parallax errors caused by inconsistent head alignment. I've had a joint PB of 54 with three different rifles and scopes, and I feel as though I've hit a glass ceiling until I can get these two problems sorted.

My choices of rifle are:

1. Steyr LG100 - joint PB of 54 to date
    I've got both the HP and FT stocks for this rifle. The FT stock feels as though it gives me a fairly consistent head position, and I can adjust it so that it's a good fit for my kneelers and standers. The pellets mostly go where I want them to, but it's anybodies guess whether the rifle will have held its zero when I take it out of the case. On a good day, it's probably the third most accurate rifle that I own. It's probably the rifle that I enjoy shooting the most, and it's got the best trigger by far.

2. Hämmerli AR20FT - joint PB of 54 to date
    This is by far the most accurate rifle that I own. It never has a bad day, and it's so predictable that it's bordering on the boring. The pellets always go where they should, it's just a case of making sure that I can hold it steady for long enough! Like the Steyr, I can adjust the Hämmerli's stock to get a better fit on the kneelers and standers. It's also got a really nice trigger. However it's a beast of a rifle, and it's not the easiest to lug around a 30 shot course. Even although it's super accurate, it's probably the rifle that I least enjoy shooting on an HFT course.

3. Daystate AirWolf CDT - joint PB of 54 to date
    My AirWolf is probably the second most accurate rifle that I own. It just feels great on the HFT course, and it works well with one of my favourite scopes - my MTC Viper fixed 10X. For some reason I find standers a bit easier with this rife, even although theoretically the stock is the wrong shape. This rifle feels great in the shoulder and it balances really well.

4. Weihrauch HW100T
    This is a rifle which I picked up secondhand which required a fair bit of TLC. My intention was to try building an HFT project gun with it. The barrel is set really high in the action, which means that with a 1" scope, I can get the objective lens really close to the barrel axis. According to ChairGun it seems to have a real benefit on the close targets and through the reducers. I've fitted an adjustable cheekpiece to help with my head alignment/parallax errors. I haven't had the opportunity to try this rifle in competition yet, but with the stock barrel it produced a cigar shaped group of about 0.75" x 1.25", 10 shots at 100yds - so it certainly seems accurate enough! It does jump a fair bit during the firing cycle (which I find uncomfortable after shooting the Steyr for so long) and its trigger is truly pants. But the flick out single-shot adapter will be great for HFT competitions.

So guys, what would your advice be?

Does the fact that I've scored 54 with all three rifles suggest that the accurate rifle isn't actually yielding any benefits? Or that the more adjustable FT stocks aren't actually making my kneelers and standers any more likely?

Is my choice of rifle largely irrelevant, and I should just be knuckling down and practicing my kneelers and standers?

Cam.

2. BigBluey

BigBluey New Member

The dilema of owning so many good rifles.
    Reading the post it looks like you have subconciously made your choice with the AR20.

Go by which ever rifle you feel most comfortable with, but above all go and enjoy the weekend.

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Knuckle down and practice or flip a coin the day you set off.

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

WALTHER :D:D:D

Looks like you'll have to get the cheque book out ;)

5. burjaka

burjaka Member

Club:
    CT Sousel - Portugal
    Take the one you shoot the most... the one you always get when you want to have fun... and the one you feel more confortable with...

this is one reson why I only have one rifle (at a time...) :)

6. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I am sure deep down you have a favourite, keep that one, then sell some of the others to fund buying a small objective quality scope which will help prevent a lot of the px error you are suffering from. There is a lot to be said for the man with one gun who uses it for everything, after all, hft is about really knowing your equipment and exactly where it will put the pellet.

Simon.

7. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    If I called you up and told you that the worlds were tomorrow, what rifle would you grab from the cabinet?

Whatever,that rifle is, stick with it and only use that gun between now and the worlds.

That is how you will improve mate.

Also, why is the Steyr inaccurate? is it up and down, side to side or shotgunning?

Gary

8. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Why are you shooting the worlds? To do well or for fun? And none of this middle ground "bit of both" cobblers either!

To do well - take the one that is the most consistently accurate, and shoot it a lot before going. If you are able to rate your rifles in terms of accuracy in the way that you have, this decision is already made really.

For fun - take the one that is the "nicest" to you.

9. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Try an ali tube in the Hammerli and see if it helps mate.

Give me a shout the next time we are at a comp and you can try my walther one in it, sure they are interchangeable.

Bring the steyr too and we will find out whats wrong with that mate it should be more than capable.

OR YOUR JUST PANTS, try shaving the beard off, I heard thats worth 3 points at least!!!

10. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Cochrane's top tips -"being shaved is worth 3 points"!:eek::D

11. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Im strictly a "WAXER" Ryan!!!

;)

12. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Scoch... I think you're confusing HFT with your other pastime that involves going into the woods and rolling around with the boys...

...shaving's definitely worth an extra 3 points in that game!

:)

Thanks for all the replies guys. It seems that there is a common thread – stop fanning around with lots of kit, pick something, settle on it, and get the practice in!

13. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Right so, I took all your advice and got myself a Walther Dominator.

If I'm stocking up on spares, what's worth having around just in case?

Cam.

14. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Your Steyr :D:D

15. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    :D

Good one!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  16. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    I predict a PB with the Walther of....54;) Good luck with the new gun:D

17. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Nah you'll never score more than 53 with a Walther.;):D

18. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    So, just to throw a spanner in the works!

Only a couple of days after I get my Dommie, I happen upon a new stock for my HW100 – a CS1000.

It looks very strange, but once you've got your shoulder in it, it feels great – bulk in all the right places. I haven't been able to practice yet (thanks to work), but from pottering around in the house with it, it feels as though it's going to be a better fit and more stable in the kneeling and standing positions.

Typical!

Do you need to commit to a rifle when you're sending in your entry form for the Worlds, or can you leave that part blank?

Cheers,

Cam.

19. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

I have just bought a Walther funnily enough and to be honest its the best thing i ever did. There damn accurate and seem to work really well BUT take a bit of getting used to. If i were you i would get out there and practice as much as i possible and then you can get an even better PB!!!

Good luck

LAity

20. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    If your HW100 trigger is as bad as you describe it sounds like it might need work. Mine is very crisp and sweet and has been that way since day 1. It's not quite in the Steyr territory but I think it's nicer than the trigger on my EV, though not as light.