Which pellet for Steyr FT

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by bsR, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bsR

bsR Member

Club:
    FTBRTURK
    In your opinion, Which one will be the best pellet choice for a Steyr LG110 Field Target (previous version) at a FT competition? And why?

1. JSB Diabolo Exact 4.50 / 8.44 gr
    2. JSB Diabolo Exact 4.51 / 8.44 gr
    3. JSB Diabolo Exact 4.52 / 8.44 gr
    4. JSB Diabolo Exact 4.53 / 8.44 gr
    5. JSB Diabolo Exact Heavy 4.52 / 10.34 gr
    6. JSB Diabolo Exact Express 4.52 / 7.87 gr
    7. JSB Diabolo Exact RS 4.52 / 7.33 gr

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. Gar73

Gar73 Douchebag/Mook Identifier

Club:
    Thorn Dell
    All guns are different, only testing will tell you which is best for your gun/setup.

I would try Jsb Exact 4.52 8.44gr and Jsb Exact Express 7.9gr first.

At this point I can't make my mind up between the 2 and I have come to believe that the difference between the 2 is so small that my time would be better spent practicing than testing the pellets against each other.

The express fly a little flatter maybe 1/8th of an inch flatter at 55 yards. The exacts are easier to get hold of at the moment. I also think express are better quality out of the tin (marginally) but even that gap has been closed down as I have a good batch of 2012 exacts which are excellent quality and there just as good as my 2012 express.

I shot a poor 23 out of 30 at the final Nefta shoot yesterday, I missed 4 targets splitting edges. It has gone through my mind would I have done better with express, but the reality is trigger technique and practice would have far more likely got me those targets.

Which pellet exact or express takes less wind I simply just don't know and cannot make my mind up.

3. bsR

bsR Member

Club:
    FTBRTURK
    Thanks for your detailed response.

4. Petervw

Petervw Member

its all said , testing works !
    but I use JSB Express 4.52 for HFT simply because they tested best ;)

Peter

5. bsR

bsR Member

Club:
    FTBRTURK
    Thanks for your reply.

6. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    JSB heavies group well to if you can cope with the drop. I have always used Exact express 7.9gr. As with all guns you wil need to find what is best by trial and error. Shoot groups at 50yd for best results as pellets can vary batch to batch.

7. bsR

bsR Member

Club:
    FTBRTURK
    Thank you very much.

8. bsR

bsR Member

Club:
    FTBRTURK
    I forgot to specify an important detail. The energy limit is 30 ft.lbf for the FT competitions in Turkey. So I can use my Steyr on 24 Joule (~18 ft.lbf). In this respect, will your suggestions still be the same?

9. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Thats a very big factor to leave out !!!!! :eek: Best use something like JSB Heavy or Bisley Magnums in that case.:)

10. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    The Steyr is a jumper for 24J you must use the JSB Heavy but I recommend that you lower the power to 19-21J.

11. bsR

bsR Member

Club:
    FTBRTURK
    Thanks for your reply

According to your recommend, 19-21J with JSB Heavy will be good combination. Thanks for reply.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  12. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Heavies are the way to go at 24 ft/lb, certainly give tight groups at 12.

13. TP412

TP412 New Member

I shoot 10.5 grn Crosman premiers. Not sure if you have access to them in turkey. JSB heavies were a close second in my Steyr which is set up around 17 FPE

14. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    I thought the original question was which pellet was best suited to FIELD TARGET competitions.

Anything above 12ft/lb is not proper FT its just shooting at targets outdoors without the need to compensate for wind.

If Turkey are starting off FT, best to do it properly and use 12ft/lb. why? If you want to shoot a competition elsewhere then you will be prepared. Shooting high energy above 12ft/lb is NOTHING like proper FT (original FT). The challenge of judging wind drift at 12ft/lb is THE single most important skill in the sport.
    Remove that skill and your only kidding yourself!

15. Pepone

Pepone WFTF World Champion 2010

Club:
    Villarrubio FT
    I do not agree with connor. In countries where the legal power to possession of air guns is greater than 16j, if you force the shooters to use only 16j for competitions, many people with more power rifles not participate in competitions, and this is a sport that is still a minority . We want to not close the door for more participants.

In Spain we have the same example, we can participate in competitions with 24j limit. And make no mistake, the wind in those powers must not forget, is still an airgun not a rimfire rifle.
    On the other hand there is evidence that a good shooter will do well, regardless of the power he uses, the example is the Open of Zumarraga, which until last year were only one categorie with <16j and 24j shooters together, and you know who won..

But I agree, the real challenge is to compete with 16j. Not only have to understand the wind, but also knowing how to measure either the distance to targets. This and the wind readings is the advantage of higher power, the error is not so great not only in estimating the wind but in the distance, as the path is more flat. And this is one of the advantages for beginner shooters, it not necesary to expend a lot of money in a expensive march or SB to rangerfind perfectly...

If you compete with the steyr, with more power than 16j, I advise you to put a hw barrel with 60 cmts. And use the jsb heavy with speeds between 260 and 275 m/s. With time and if you could attend international competitions or want to upgrade the challenge, you could try to lower the power of the steyr to 16j, and using the jsb exact, express, crosman lites or other similar pellets.

16. Conor

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    As you know Pepone, the challenge and fun is less at higher power ;)
    All the good shooters will soon realise and use the lower power for more challenge.

Over in Ireland we have the same power issues, an air rifle can be purchased in any power!
    Every single FT shooter over here, began with the high energy .22 calibre air rifle and then changed just like you did to using a .177 at sub 12ft/lb energy.

I agree with not closing the door to people wanting to shoot, but if you are beginning FT and want a start, do it as closely to the sport originated as possible. FT is a 12ft/lb target discipline.

I have cleared a few FT courses with a high energy air rifle and a x8 magnification scope, no need to rangefind as trajectory and wind issues are minimal.

Conor

17. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Completely disagree with Conor “Anything above 12ft/lb is not proper FT” without offense for both country’s it’s more an American sentence than an Irish, we are the center of the universe forget the others.

Here in Portugal we also have the 2 class 12ft/lb and 24Joules and what I recommend if you don’t plan to do the worlds in a country without 24J is that you start with higher power.

It’s more difficult to shoot because the rifle jumps more and that way you learn how to hold and the difference for wind compensation is very small.

In Portugal and Spain the shooters with 12ft/lb always have better scores that the 24J and that say something.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  18. Conor

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    The original poster has said the power limit is 30ft/lb, which is almost 41 Joules.

I have used extensively an air rifle at this power for many years, the best option for that power is a .22 calibre barrel and with a 21grn Baracuda Match the trajectory is better than a .177 at 12ft/lb with a substantially more favourable wind resistance.

So I will say again 30ft/lb in a FT competition makes a mockery of the ballistics and sport format that FT originated from. Anyone in the same comp using a 12ft/lb gun would be at a big disadvantage.

Using 24 Joules in .177 I have no experience but perhaps take a look at how USA competitors have done. World FT champion in 2007 was from USA and was using 24 J, then rules were changed to ensure the Worlds was a 12ft/lb comp for fairness. Guy that won it in 2007 didn't make top 10 in 2008 when using 12ft/lb ;)

My Theoben Rapid MK2 running at 30ft/lb can and often does shoot better groups than my 12ft/lb Steyr, at 50m outdoors, FACT.

Also if your gun is jumping put a silencer on it! Simple.;)

Also getting back on track, use various pellets and see which group best at 55yrds. Every barrel is different and make sure if you find really good and accurate pellets that suit your gun barrel, buy lots of them!

19. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    I'm with Conor on this one,

The True Sport of Field Target is with the use of <16j rifles as it was orignally intended, and designed around this power, everything else is in the STYLE of Field Target, imho.

would you shoot Olympic 10 metre rifle using high power rifles?

would you use .32 cal target pistol to compete in 10 metre air pistol?

what would be the reasons in doing so?

because there is a loop hole?

because you can?

Or is because there is a feeling that you cannot compete on a level playing field?

also, are not the endorsed targets themselves designed around 16j?, too much power and they will get destroyed, make them stronger and 16j rifles will not be able to put them down, even with a direct hit!:rolleyes:

just because some countries have the right / abilities to shoot upto these higher levels, it doesnt mean that you have to, roads have speed limits as well which should be adhered to, even if you drive a supercar;)

I'm not personally saying you cannot use these high power rifles, ( shoot what you like, thats your priviledge ) but you can't really call it Field Target:rolleyes:, it's similar;), but so is scotch whisky and irish whisky, but they are definatly not the same.

just my thoughts :cool:, fight it out amongst yourselves.:D

20. Conor

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Just another note, in .22 caliber. Most pellets are unsuitable at 30ft/lb, I have found the JSB 16grn slightly too light and soft which results in deformed skirts being blown out of shape by the powerful air blast.
    Try the 18grn JSB nice compromise between 16grn and the 21grn Baracuda ;)

If you need any tips on straightening up faceplates, in quite an expert with a sledgehammer. :D
    Don't buy Gammo targets also as they are unreliable at best and are clearly not designed to withstand higher energies.