Which Leupold?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by rich, Oct 13, 2013.

1. rich

rich Active Member

I've never been able to afford a Leupold, apart from one which I had a few years ago, it was a front focus jobbie with a PR conversion to 18x-40x, and it shifted with temperature unacceptably in my opinion.

Now I have the opportunity to go for a new 35x Competition series or a second hand Mark IV with PR conversion to 32x. Similar money.

Having never handled either, could a member with knowledge and experience of both give me some pointers, please, as to the differences and the pros and cons. It's for FT and would be going on an early EV2.

2. Jon

Jon Member

Try them both out, see how you get on.

Mark 4 built like a tank but light and ex MOD issue.
    Only ever seen one presentable 32 all were like milk bottles, the one to go for is the 35 with BR36 front lenses.
    My old 35 lives down your way, best in UK, makes S&B look like a Hawke plus it snapped.
    Having had two PR Leups a Mark 4 35 and the last **** Thomas did PR VX3 20-50, neither moved with temp unless over 92 degrees, its the light!

Cant use Comp Series but lovely and bright.

3. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Hiya,
    Had a few Leupolds, don't like using anything else if i can help it to be honest as they really are that good.
    I have a standard 6.5x20x40 and the same again boosted to x40 with the close range adaptor fitted.
    BOTH shift in extreme heat or cold, but it needs to be extreme to be honest.
    I also have a Hawke Sidewinder 8,32x56, and for the money, it's VERY good.

I hear from guys who have the newer Leupolds, that they are not as good ?
    I don't know, i'm old school, but there are enough of them being used and i have often thought of buying one, i may yet ?
    But i would need to see/try one 1st.
    In the end, if you like it and are happy with it, buy it mate, they are all well made and unless you want to spend a LOT more on a March etc, £2,000 plus :eek:
    The Leupold will always do you proud i would think !

Stevie.

4. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Hey up Rich, personally I would go for a 40 mag Comp if the fixed mag is not a problem for you. I have two 40s and a 45. The 45 has the edge on rangefinding, but the 40 is by far the best all rounder. Neil.

5. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I agree with Neil, I've owned 2 45x Comps, 2 40x Comps and 1 35x Comp and the 40x is the best compromise.
    The 45 is the best range finder, the 40 is the best all rounder and I gave up on the 35x as it is by far the worst range finder.

6. rich

rich Active Member

Thanks Neil.

I've been using an excellent Falcon T35 fixed mag for several years and got used to having no zoom etc. The T35 has a 56mm objective which makes for a bright image and shallow depth of field, but it is a heavy lump.

I was just concerned that the Competition series with a smaller objective might be darker, and the 40x more so than the 35x.

I can't really try both, as they are not on sale at the same place and time. :(

7. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Won't be any darker and the glass is 1st rate.

8. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Bideford, Shebbear
    Rich
    I could bring my Leup comp x40 down for you to take a look at again. I'm pretty busy with work but could probably get to the club ground this Thursday? Would like to do Wed afternoon but I'm busy every Wed for the next month!
    Rob

9. rich

rich Active Member

Rob, thanks for the offer, this Thursday is full with various things to do, but I will get back and accept your offer thanks, for another time.

Luddite, if it isn't impertinent, how come you have had five, including two models twice? :confused:

10. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Jon...on the Mk4 35x....do they all have BR36 lenses? Anything to look for when buying one? I'm in the same boat as Rich. Had pretty much settled on a Comp 35 but just found a Mk4 35x for sale. What's the going rate for them in the UK? This ones $1000.

-Casey

11. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Rich, I have had about 15. All told over the past 12 years. Selling them to friends and then acquiring new ones, selling because times were hard when I got made redundant and selling up all my kit in 2008. Ken (Luddite) has also used them for years and has give sound advice, don't bother with the 35. Get a 40 if you can, the optics are superb and I've never had a bad one. They don't snap in and out like a Nikko does, but putting the smallest wheel you can manage with does help this....which is what I'm trying at the moment. Neil.

12. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I imported 2 40s and 2 45s from Premier Reticles before they stopped converting Leupolds in order to compare them, keep the 2 I liked and sell the other 2.
    I decided that the 40s were the ones for me and sold the 45s.
    I subsequently sold a 40 to a mate who nagged me for it.
    The 35 was bought as a package, along with a Steyr LG100, from a mate who was short of cash and then sold back to him when he had the cash.
    Sorry for the saga, but you did ask. :D