Which Leup?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JerryD, Feb 13, 2011.

1. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    OK, so I'm in line for a bit of bonus money come March. Before the wife spends it all, I'd like to get a decent FT scope. I'm using an Elite 6500 4.5-30 at the moment, which is nice but can be a bit hard work at longer distances in differing light conditions.

I'm looking for decent repeatable rangefinding, preferably a mil-dot or multiline ret, not bothered by front or side PX, but I do not want a huge chunka glass that weighs a ton, variable mag (can't manage those standers at anythng more'n 12x:eek:)

Decent spacing and discrimination between thos etop-end distances is a must, and minimal, but certainly predicatable, shift with temp.

S&B and Deons are out: even I can't justify that amount! Sightmarks I don't know enough about. Nikkos are too heavy. Most people still use Leups, but which one is the best to go for?

What's my choices and where do I go for 'em?

2. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    2nd hand Leup Comp x 40 every time if you can find one.

3. vx220

vx220 New Member

Charlie has a sightron.
    Really likes it so far

4. Jon

Jon Member

Pretty much rules everything out Jerry.
    Bushy 8-32?

5. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Got the Bushy on my springer, and I'm gonna get it converted to MD - see how that goes. Would you rate them against a VX3 or similar though?

The Sightron's are a bit heavy aren't they? Also, I don't think they come with MD, but I'm awaiting correction on that one.

6. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    they do md but more money for it jerry about 150 more ive seen advertised,but u can get a target dot 930 ish,leup comp dont mag down,so its a catch 22,

7. Jon

Jon Member

Probably the best to get the Bushy converted other than that theres only three models of scopes from same manufacturer that would tick all your boxes.

8. paul yates

paul yates Kung Fu Panda

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    sightron mill dot lighter than a nikko snaps in and out very clearly, they do a mildot no difference in price between mildot target dot or cross hair,

9. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Cheers Paul - who sells them and which model is it?

10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    were did u see the price matey told me if i want a milldot got to pay more for it the deal woz only on dot at the price quoted,which shop matey do u hav a link

11. paul yates

paul yates Kung Fu Panda

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    here you go Chris www.aimfieldsports.com got mine from there, Jon on here does a cracking sidewheel for them prices are posted on the site for thew scopes dont go for the 8x32 it only comes down to 40 yards the 10x50 comes down to 10 :D

12. paul yates

paul yates Kung Fu Panda

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    i got the 10x50x60 s111 big sky with mildots from www.aimfieldsports.com the model is s111 ss 10x50x60 lrmd
    cost me £980 with a sunshade about 5 months ago .
    there you go
    jerry

13. JerryD

JerryD Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Thanks Paul, I'll take a look at those.

14. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Jerry,

Very pleased with my Sightron. Criteria after I sold my VX3 were vari mag, shallow dof and good clarity optics and around £1200 in that regard the S3 ticks the boxes.

I got the moa fine cross hair which is as per that in a standard Leup Comp, very fine indeed but it does have a fairly narrow fov so a less busy ret works well (personally I see no point in mildots in th 2nd focal plain at high mag). There is a new mil ret due which might be worth a look and the 2011 models will have improved tactical turrets, current version has turrets as per Big Nikko 3 but more positive clicks.

Clarity is excellent I had a really good Nikko 3 for a short while but this is better, equal if not better to top end bushnell and that's in the higher mag range at x30 its brighter than the bushnells I've had. Dof is unreal, I'm using a 4" wheel which speaks for itself, some would prefer 5" for bigger gaps but 4 does the job for me. I don't think I have used a scope with such a shallow dof it's exceptional and so far very repeatable. Set it up in -1 and although had slightly limited time to test it's not moved as yet. Also ranges exactly the same on 40 as it does 50 a very useful trait.

Mine comes down to just under 12yrds at full mag, 10 yards is clear at 10 mag and if it's out of focus i know it's 8 or 9, I'm not planning to get a 50' for the time being.

Downsides it is big, the sunshade is absurdly heavy (4oz I think), 1/8 " clicks although plenty of adjustment per turn, i dont like turret covers but that will be solved by the new version.

Got mine in the Jan sale from Aim, great service, comes with front and rear flip ups, one of those large branded dust cloths, white cotton gloves and they threw in a cap, sunshade was extra.

Based on what you are after it kind of meets your spec, only other option is second hand PR leup.

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Comp x

Forget the mil dots , go for a lupe Comp X in 35 mag . light , good optics , very easy to use . life time guarantee . get the small wheel for it and you are ready to rock ??? HOLLY PS secondhand , between £ 600 to £750 .:):D

16. daveward76

daveward76 Member

Club:
    Redfearn ft
    Hello

Hello pal the luep 20x50 or comp 40/45 are very very good:rolleyes: I have only had my 20x50 for around 3 week and I love it:D

17. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    You said the 20/50 was W**k two weeks ago ?

I have a witness or two or three ?

You haven't had a comp ? ....................................................yet !