WHERE HAVE ALL THE C GRADES GONE ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by holly, May 9, 2019.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Looking at the entries for the next couple of GPs . i see next to no C graders . being as these gents are the next A and AA grade shooters ( hopefully ) where are they . is the BFTA taking any steps to stop this trend . or is it the usual . "Rocks , What Rocks " ??? HOLLY

2. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

So what do you suggest holly?? Grab the nearest C grade shooter and force them to enter?

You simply cannot make people do things they dont want to do

Welsh Wizard and nat like this.
  3. Ray Rudd

Ray Rudd Member

Club:
    Purley Chase
    I dont think its down to the BFTA I think its down to the clubs encouraging its members along.

Welsh Wizard and Fly fisher like this.
  4. Mel

Mel Not so new member

A lot of us moved up to A and B!

Evo and dave croucher like this.
  5. DeanB

DeanB Active Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    But you can try to persuade and encourage them. At some point, someone encouraged you to start attending GPs. I'm not having a dig at you Dave, as I'm sure you have tried to persuade/encourage.

Totally agree. At some grounds, I think the attitude of "bloody plinkers" doesn't help, rather than seeing them as potential GP shooters.

Interesting to see that the number of shooters is low for GP2. For some it is a long way to travel. Or, maybe, because it is usually a very challenging course.
    Perhaps more will book-in on the day. Should there be a an additional inconvenience charge for this, or would that deter more shooters?

6. dave croucher

I always reckon if you can get 5-10% of the club shooters off the plinking range and travelling to shoots you are doing well.

The current travelling Kent massiff bears testament to that:):)

Fly fisher and RobF like this.
  7. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Kent massive, what you mean Dan and yourself? ;)

top gun phil likes this.
  8. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    correct me if i,m wrong but i thought booking in on the day will not be allowed ????? , waste of time having the pre payment if this is the case, it will be just turn up on the day and you can pay in ????

top gun phil likes this.
  9. dave croucher

You and me Bob

Evo likes this.
  10. dave croucher

Neil isnt small

11. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    True but I thought he just came along to keep you guys happy on the return trip discussing your scores...;)

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Dave if shooters are not going to GPs , there is something wrong . now i only do three GPs a year . you and the regular shooters must have some idea what the problem is . so now would seem to be a good time to do something about it . in case it is too late later .

so far at Oak tree there is only 28 shooters ( when i last looked ) in the afternoon . Tondu 42 and tawd 32 . does this seem right ??? HOLLY

blueboy likes this.
  13. Evo

Club:
    numbers seem to be down this year but i might be wrong, im suprised the numbers for Tondu and oaktree are not higher because i think its a fantastic idea having a double header because it certainly saves on fuel costs, i might add its a 3hr 50min drive from the wirral to Tondu so personally im happy there are 2 Gp,s that weekend,

i must say i dont think its a good idea for clubs to be running events when GP,s are on as to the half hearted they wont turn up to GP,s although if i had a choice between local or nationals then i myself would pick a national everytime, but thats cos im keen, i feel for the scotch lads this year because most gp,s seem to be midlands and south of so their travelling time and cost will be higher
    with regards the tawd event, on the grapevine people have said they are sick of shooting a venue that thinks 50yrd + targets in every lane is how it should be,,me i think angles are better so 50+ yarders are a bit excessive

James, scruff, C.Eaton and 1 other person like this.
  14. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Testing Testing!! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Most want Am session at Oaktree, so they can shoot and then head off home, have you noticed its the Bank Holiday Monday.
    This is our trial "double header" weekend. As is Tondu and Oaktree are on par with just over 100 entries.
    If shooters think its a good idea to have double header Gp, then it probably or could revert to Sat + sunday at future events around the Uk.

Personally I am not travelling long distances (250mile+ round trip) any more to grounds unless I really enjoy shooting them.
    I suffered a bad back last time I shot a Millride Gp, so skipped Gp1.
    I have always loved the Ground at Tawd, but again found the last Gp very long and very samey to shoot, could have shot most of the course on 47m, as i did the Bfta champs this year. So thats them off the visiting list for now.
    Hopefully as Martin refers to on Pop, this years Gp2 course will be better balanced.
    Perhaps the C graders have some sort of similar memories of the opening Gp grounds that has kept them away?

One thing I can guarantee is a balanced course at Oaktree, with shots everyone should hit as well as enough testing targets to sort the grade winners out. But I am not shooting that either. Oh yes I am, Sunday, I forgot!

scruff, Mel and top gun phil like this.
  15. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    But increases accommodation costs considerably.

NeilM and RAMBO like this.
  16. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Testing Testing!! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Swings and roundabouts

What it does save on is freeing up summer weekends.

Thus clubs / regions hopefully can start putting some of the old big open shoots or if nothing else, have more free weekends to plan their summer leagues.

I personally think all regions should have a summer league

17. Evo

Club:
    But increases accommodation costs considerably.

but thats if you stay in a mega hotel, also sharing a room keeps costs down, at the nefta it cost us £64 for the two of us staying 2 nights which is £17 a night each, now that for me is excellent value for money , it was a 240 mile round trip so staying for two nights saved us a bucket load,

take playing golf for a weekend it would cost a fortune just to play and thats without accomodation ,fuel,etc, FT shooting to me ( once you have your kit ) is probably one of the cheapest sports you can do, but one thing i will say is car sharing is a must if you want to keep costs down, i,m one of the lucky ones because i have a shooting partner who is as keen as myself and wants to shoot all the GP series, that helps no end but they are hard to come by, as for double header events i think its the future of the sport, as long as grounds work together then i personally think its a win win situation, 1, cos it keeps costs down and 2 i get to spend more time with the family, but shooting the nationals gives me a break from the everyday stresses.

take this year for instance, i have only got 1 sunday off from now until the euros in the middle of september, all i will say is, i love the banter,the laughs,the tears,but most importantly the crowd who shoot field target, i have never been made so welcome in any sport as i have in FT and i have never laughed so much in my life, i have made friends for life and met some fantastically talented people along the way,

now to me thats PRICELESS

Fly fisher, top gun phil, Mel and 2 others like this.
  18. DeanB

DeanB Active Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    Copied from BFTA AGM draft minutes Nov 2018: "Pre-payment would be the prime method of entry and payment for BFTA events. Shooters would still be able to turn up on the day but risk the chance of not being able to shoot if the event is full (they must be existing BFTA card holders)"...…"Vote: 7-1 in favour (MFTA against)".

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  19. eggie

eggie Active Member

Club:
    Broadland ARC
    If you look at results from the gp's in 2017 there were only 5 or 6 c graders that shot more than 3 gp's. Last year there was more but I believe this was due to the worlds qualification system disguising it.
    Also people who are in c grade may be shooting open this year rather than their grade again due to qualifying last year
    Could be wrong but that's the way I see it

James and RobF like this.
  20. Mr H.

Mr H. I am not even a number.

Club:
    NARPA - OSS. - Harriers FTC. British Field Target Council - Pre BFTA
    I as a C grader truly think I am only there to add to the kitty.
    Doesn't help with snipes that I don't shoot well - my results are poor.

So what is the incentive that is in place to encourage C grade shooters to attend Grand Prix's.