Whats the best ft scope?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by WHIZZER, Jan 27, 2011.

1. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

Money no object whats the best scope out there? I was using my 20-50 leup on sunday and i was impressed (havent used it for a while). Im also very impressed with the latest nikko, it does the job well!

Whats the general concensous?

2. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Now there's a question!
    I recently asked which was the best big Nikko and due to the variation in build quality (even over the same model) it was impossible for anyone to give a definitive answer. Even people with lengthy experience of more than one model couldn't decide and agree which was best.
    So your question is a big one. You specify money is no object so that pushes you right to the top end ( £2k+)
    and there aren't many people using those scopes.
    I would say my dream FT scope still doesn't exist regardless of budget.:(

3. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Nightforce FT 36x, not seen anything out perform one of these yet, wish I still had mine.

4. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

i had one of these and in theory it should have been fantastic, in practice i found it difficult above 45 yards. Very rare scope though and built nicely.

How many dedicated ft scopes have been produced, i can only think of the nf and the s&b?

5. Dale

Dale Active Member

To be honest, I don't think this is a question of specific make, model and money.

I think it really boils down to what suits the individual shooter best.

6. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

As range finding with the parralax is effectively a "side effect" or "miss-use" of a scope then no FT dedicated scope has ever been produced.

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    the s&b ft ??:confused:

to answer the original question a Deon march

8. WHIZZER

WHIZZER Member

possibly, in theory i feel that the s&b ft should be the perfect scope, fantastic optics, designed to rangefind from 7 to 70 yards, good field of view, focuses very well and build quality second to none. Its just a shame they have this added variation feature that can be a problem!

9. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Best FT scope

As Dale has mentioned it is down to personal choice.

Ive got my March 8x80 and think it is the best FT scope out there, I am biased obviously but everytime I go out and use it in comps I am blown away more and more.

The range finding is stunning with the scope, I set it up in cold weather -6C to be exact and have since used it at warmest so far +12-13C. The rang finding on targets over 30 yards havent moved, anything closer it is range finding about a quarter yards over.

With a variation of 18 degrees from setting up I am happy with that. I will be waiting for the right day where the temp is about 20C and then fully check the scope to see if I need to make any changes to the ranges. It is rare to wait for a day where the temp reaches 25-30C in Britain. I have got the house running at about 22C inside to keep the missus warm, I have a chimney pot behind my house which is 48 yards away. I have left the scope and rifle outside when the snow was down and temp was about -8C and it ranged 48 yards. I brought it back in and let it waarm up for a few hours on the radiator and checked it and again it ranged 48 yards. So Im happy to say the least.

Some of the lads seem to be favouring the S&B PMII 50 mag which are well built nice scopes but again take the price over the £2k mark like the March....

Berty

10. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen

Mr Bassett you may well have aquired the wrong March!! But don't forget the Leupold Competition 35/40/45 the glass is simply the best and when my March comes I will then have something to compare them against until then we also cannot forget the Burris 8x32 44 Ra either.Yes still waiting!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  11. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Wrong March

Andy,

You might be right fella but I think I got the scope for the job fella.

All the scopes out there do not range down to 7 yards unlike the March and thats the way they are built. The Leup comps have to be re-parallaxed to come down to 9-10 yards. So as the original question is what is the best FT scope then the March covers all the bases.....

Berty

12. Ripleysniper

Ripleysniper Team Walther 2011

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    You are most likely right master Bassett but the Burris has to right up there!

13. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

I think niel "crosseyed" hauge won the 1936 under ten world spud gun standing champs with a smartie tube with a spiders leg tied in it. Which im a little concerned about because in 1936 he was 28 years old the cheating T--t ;)

14. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Best scope is the one that's on top of the rifle that scores 100% on the day, that probably gives a list of at least 6 models. It so ambiguous really. An FT scope needs to range find accurately and repeatably, needs good robust elevation adjustment that will cope with constant use and lastly ideally doesn't alter too much in different temp and light conditions. I'd argue thats all it needs to do and everything else is a nice to have in terms of clarity and brightness, on that basis there are a fair few scopes that meet the needs.

There's been a lot of scope discussion around lately and its only natural that we are all seeking the best kit that we can obtain either for personal satisfaction or the quest for those two extra hits. Take a shooter like Mark who is probably one of the top 10 shots in the world based on recent results. I personally doubt that his new scope will improve his scores through its range finding ability it might improve it indirectly through confidence and pshychological edge but I doubt Berty misranged many targets during last years GPs if any. But I'm sure the March will be a pleasure to use and if that increase his enjoyment so much the better

All that aside and sorry for going off thread a bit, but with the arrival of 80 mag scopes are we entering the stage where rangefinding is merely and arbitrary factor and no longer a competitive element of the sport. If the new wave of uber scopes can range find to such fine accuracy and assuming they are consistent might it not be as well just to provide the distance to target at the gate and get rid of range finding all together??:p

15. Jon

Jon Member

Quite agree Charlie but the way things are going we wont need uber scopes after tomorrow.

Might be here next week Andy with Simons and mine.

Best scope, money no object is the one you can use. There is no perfect scope or will ever be.
    In saying that theres something about a March you dont get with anything else, just a joy to use.
    Now looking well over £3k for a March X IR80 complete ready to go plus rail.
    S&B PM2 are a production item off the shelf approx £300 cheaper as an alternative, even cheaper if you know where to go.

16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Could ?

Could be the new SightMark 10+40 ??? HOLLY

17. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

18. vx220

vx220 New Member

That's it Charlie..... Psychological warfare already.....

We all want the best results from the time we have available to put in ( practice etc etc )
    We also want the best kit we can afford

However, personal choice always comes in.
    Some buy on looks,some on the "feel" others on a million different emotions going on in their head.

Nearly everything we use is adapted from a product designed for another sport.so we don't have perfect tools for the job.

If ( and I accept s&b screwed it up ) someone put the r&d into a super scope for a niche market and it was perfect the cost would reflect this. so only the cash rich would buy it.

We are all seeking an edge and confidence can be bought, scores increased and then broken by a bad result blaming whatever.

I never think we will have a perfect scope, so will have to make do with what I can

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Deep thinking indeed . personally i thnk you should spend the time you are devoting to writing this to practicing simon ??? HOLLY:):D

20. vx220

vx220 New Member

I wish Holly

My action is ready, scope is here next week:D:D:D

Just waiting on Gary for my stock