What's a Leapers?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Baltipal, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Presumably branded as something else over here I assume. I've heard of this scope on foreign forums in quite positive terms but haven't come across them myself.

2. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Leapers are available here too, some are AGS, some are JSR scopes. I had a nice leapers golden image 3-9x32 mildot scope not long ago. They are only available in the states, but by eck, it was a nice and clear little scope.:)

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

My mate had a AGS 8-32, not a bad scope. I don't associate any JSR scope with effective clicking but maybe I'm wrong.

5. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Yeah, over here in Kiwiland we do use a lot of the Leapers 8-32x56's on our FT rifles, simply because as stated its a better value product for us to purchase.

Yes the Big Nikko Diamond is indeed a superior product, but unavailable to us. We could buy in from Optic warehouse, but even then its more than treble the cost.

TBH Mine has taken some abuse over the last 2 years, and still clicks are positive.

I have set the rifle up so the far shots are in the flatter part of the trajectory, and as the Leapers resolves very well up close, I have the most clicks in that range. It will tell you 50 from 55 yards reliably every time, and on a good day with good light you can get 2 yards resolved out at that distance. You gotta know what you are doing though.

I dropped my kit onto concrete from a metre high benchrest the day before the Worlds, and it still worked. I got it home and straightened the barrel and re-centred the scope it is as good as new for ranging. So it gets my thumbs up for being tough enough.

But yes I agree, in an ideal world we would all have access to Big Nikkos........lmao.

GS

6. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Not that I'd lose a single shooter from FT but wouldn't it make more sense, given the limitations of what equipment you can get down there, for your blokes to shoot some version of HFT?

7. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Well here's the story Greg,

Down here FT has evolved from a game we used to call "knock downs" that we used to play 25 odd years ago. Back then we used 4x scopes atop Diana 52 and HW77 springers. We basically played the game much like HFT is now played.

As PCP's came onto the market here scopes also came available, but were only imported up to about 16x, but rifles like the Daystate harrier shooting at 28 ft/lbs in .22 became the norm. One did not need a high mag scope to win.

Now whoever wins consistently, sets the tone of the prevalent equipment right?

I came back to the game about 5 years ago in a small way. We had one club operating in one city and numbers were steady but small. They set the tone of what the game was played like in New Zealand.

Over the last 3-4 years we have ramped up the club scene and competitions with the aim of getting involved with WFTF. We have achieved that. Our guys are improving greatly, although getting overseas to compete is a costly exercise. The equipment has been trickling in to us and currently we have a mixture of FT and HFT being shot with air rifles of varying power levels.

Remember that we have no current legal restrictions on what we can shoot or where,.........we have set "classes" so that no-one is excluded from being involved. Open class allows any calibre any power as long as the targets are not damaged......and 25-29 ft/lbs seems to be popular, using 12x and 16x scopes very little clicking is done. (similar to hunter class on steroids) Significant work has gone into target reinforcement at the club where this is most poular.......lol.

WFTF rules FT here is growing fast with numbers of dedicated 12 ft/lbs rifles purchased in the last 12 months meaning we will have almost as many shooting "International Class FT" as shooting Open class.

The biggest disappointment for me is that springers are declining at each event we hold.

So our hunter/open class is significantly different to UK hunter FT, as hold over is maybe one mildot at 55 yards.......and wind is almost never a factor. Last year and most of this year us 12 ft/lbers competed directly with the open class shooters. It was hard to be competitive but not impossible. Those who actually did undertake the challenge came out the better for it.

Every Nation has its own flavour to the game. Maybe we are similar to USA in some respects, but we have never allowed straps,slings, gloves, jackets. Only now are we allowing those items (no harnesses) so we know how to use them in future WFTF events. Even USA does not shoot .22 cal at 28-29 ft/lbs.....so there's a difference too.

But.........I have to say it is awesome fun in open class!

GS

8. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

The Yanks are limited in Competition to 20fpe now I understand, Brad Troyer suggested awhile back a drop to 15fpe to save the targets but.......
    We have a thing called Sporting Field Target that runs alongside the FT during a GP Comp, have a read up on the rules & see if that would be of any use to you lot down there. Might suit your scope limitations more.

9. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

TBH Greg, with th4e availability of the 8-32 Leapers so cheaply to us, there's no reason why we can't shoot FT 12 ft/lbs.

I have not found that I am at a disadvantage.

The rifle and scope are not what is holding me, OR ANY OF US HERE back.......lol. And I would suggest that at our own National level, it is not equipment that is at issue, butthat knowing the game and HOW to maximise scores is more crucial.

It is a subtle art I am really just starting to appreciate..........

GS