What x mag for range finding FT

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by GaryB, Dec 21, 2015.

1. GaryB

GaryB Member

Club:
    ETL FTC
    Having just bought a 10x50x60 Sightron so I can shoot FT I'm in the process of setting it up and learning it. The picture is very good at high magnification and initial tests show i'll probably shoot at 24x mag but is there a best or better magnification to range find with and if so why?

Thanks
    Gary

2. GaryB

GaryB Member

Club:
    ETL FTC
    Just seen something similar asked and answered within introduction forum...

Cheers,
    Gary

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    50x. That's where the depth of field will be shallowest. There can be an issue where the reduced contrast can stop you determining final focus, in which case wind it back to say 40x, but generally start at full mag and only drop down if you can objectively prove you range find better with it lower... get someone to test you with some unknown target ranges.

4. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    I also have a sightron, i range and shoot at 50mag. unless its a very hot day with heat rays or very sunny and get white out. then i range 35/40 as i no my scope can do this.

5. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Firstly congrats on selecting one of the best FT scopes there is.
    Secondly, in my experience the 10-50 is best used at x40; brighter than x50 but still with a very shallow depth of focus. X50 is just too dark and is pushing the end of the scope's envelope when there is no need.

For positionals which tend to be closer anyways I find x24 ideal as it cuts down on the apparent wobble while still giving good range-finding.

Remember, for maximum accuracy only come up to the target, so wind it back to say 40yds then go upto a 50yd target and then just nibble at the in/out focus.
    Don't try and average it out by going through and coming back into focus, just concentrate on that front edge of the focus field and you'll be accurate and more importantly consistent.

6. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    sightron ft

I range-find on 50 and shoot on 50 mag, disciplines on 24

7. GaryB

GaryB Member

Club:
    ETL FTC
    Thanks for the comments. I'm nearly about ready to spend a few hours at the range setting things up, looking forward to it :)