What would be an acceptable group at 50 yards.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by PA410goodshot, Apr 3, 2019.

1. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Mrgeoff, I was using my recently converted LG300 alutec, after I had shot the card, I put a knockdown rat at 50 yards with a standard 40mm kill zone, put the cross hair just inside left edge and knocked it down consistently, missing only a handful of shots out of the 45 pellets I had with me. My little one was fed up pulling the string for me. The ones I missed were on right hand edge due to gusts of wind. I don't dial just use the reticle to judge hold over/under and windage. Never tried bench rest, is it also done out doors and are you allowed to alter the scope as in FT, or is it like HFT, once set you cannot alter on the course.

2. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

FWIW in perfectly still conditions from a decent, solid rest with quality pellets that the rifle likes, straight from the tin, as averaged over 4x10 shot groups at 55yd / 50m:

>25mm c-c: Not wonderful but about standard for an off-the-shelf sporter, sub-par for a target rifle.
    20-25mm c-c: Decent for a standard sporter, not so hot for a full-blown target rifle.
    15-20mm c-c: Excellent for a sporter, good for a target rifle.
    <15mm c-c: Excellent all round :)

The fewer shots you fire the smaller your groups will be, so you need to shoot a good amount of decent size groups (FWIW I use 4x10 shots). Groups should improve if pellets are sorted by mass and / or head size.

The best group 10 shot group I've shot with a 12ftlb air rifle at 55yd is 14.5mm c-c; that was with my MPR with floated barrel and mass-sorted AADE pellets. I've had a few tidy 15-17mm groups from my Mk2 Pro-Target and Steyr LG110 too. My Air Arms sporters tend to run to 18-25mm c-c typically; and I don't remember shooting any exception groups with these although I've not tried for a long time. I can feel the OCD beginning to bite again!

3. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    This is where it can get difficult to compare apples with apples, and not just based on Mikes reply :rolleyes:

50m or 50 yards makes a difference that far out, as does indoors Vs outdoors, then throw in centre to centre or edge to edge and you have a recipe for tall tails and confoundment :eek:. There are so many other bits involved - weighed/sized/best brand/mag of scope, the list goes on...….

I find it more convenient to measure edge to edge as you have clear start/finish points and don't need anything other than a ruler, which would give roughly 3/4 of an inch on the above scale at 50m (excellent all round), which I feel comfortable with when taking my time.:D

4. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Thank you for that gives me a better idea, so 15-20mm good 15mm or less for a ten shot group excellent.

5. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Will also have a look at this method as well thanks.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It’s all down to what is acceptable to you and how you set your standards. Some do it by comparison, some by possibility. Ie some look at other people’s groups and judge against them and others look at what’s possible and judge against that. Or both.

I’ve shot a 2mm ctc 5 shot group off the knee at 50m indoors. And I’ve also had some really other tight groups at that range. But it doesn’t stop there. It’s trying to do it with more shots, more times, in different conditions, in different positions... you can always make it harder. And you can always make it easier.

I’m on a mobile so it’s not so easy to link but if you do a search for ‘the group thread’ on here you’ll see some very good ones and some not so good, but thats not the point of it, the point is there is a reference for people to look up and say they can or can’t do better without having to peek at someone else’s.

And if you think it’s not going so well I just remember the poor chap who couldn’t hit an a4 sheet at 10 yards at my club because of the pellets he was using. He was happy until I gave him some JSB and his groups went down to under an inch... then he was unhappy because he had about 5 tins of very useless pellets :D

7. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Thanks for that RobF, 2mm ctc at 50m that must be in the exceptional standard. What riflescope and pellets did you use to achieve that, also is it better to have a high mag scope, to achieve tighter groups, if so what recommendations do you have, but not march silly money, as I could never afford one without selling a kidney. Was thinking along old big Nikko, Falcon T50 or I may be able to stretch to the new X50 by selling one of my other guns. As have read on here it may be a sightron equivalent.
    Thanks for any help.

8. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    The group thread

I’m happy when my rifle will put every pellet I shoot through a 20mm hole at 55yrds if the wind is favourable and I do my part.
    I know the rifle is capable of much better and on a good day I can do better but there are human factors to consider and with all things considered you don’t require any better accuracy than that.

9. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Testing Testing!! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree

Unless a shooter want to impress on tinter web as their score card can't hack it lol

10. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    If you win a comp you got a good set up a and if you do it containty you are a good range finder.
    No luck involved