What would be an acceptable group at 50 yards.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by PA410goodshot, Apr 3, 2019.

1. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Set a paper target at 50 yards yesterday, furthest distance I have out doors, in windy conditions, left to right wind. Aimed at the red dot on the target and got three pellets in a triangle group touching each other all within 10mm if you draw a circle around them. They were to the right of the red dot 17mm away. I am putting that down to the wind as set my zero at 30 yards indoors.
    What is the normal accuracy of target rifles at 50 yards + I am trying to get an idea if this is good, bad or acceptable. Gun is doing 11.1, I'm using express 7.9 weight I think and scope is a 5-20-50 the scope was set at 10 mag. Thanks for any input.

2. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

10mm 50yds off knee very acceptable

3. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Would-be HFT shooter.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    For me? About 18 inches :(

tony mccracken likes this.
  4. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Great thanks for that. :D

5. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

LOL is that you group best at 18 inches away or your happy within an 18 inch circle. :D

6. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Testing Testing!! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    3 Pellets is not really a guide to your grouping

Do 6 x 5 shots and compare / find your average?

Gary Martin, Darron and Jesim1 like this.
  7. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Ok I will try and see over the weekend thanks for guidance.

8. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    Your wasting your time trying to do this in windy conditions if your trying to find how accurate your gun is as your aiming at a central point, and all your doing is getting an indication of how windy/blustery it is!

I could understand you trying to gain skill in windy conditions, that's different, but not just test your guns accuracy as above as the group size will basically vary with the wind.

I'd wait for a calm day and do several groups of 5 shots to see what the repeatable accuracy is, this will give you a better guide and be a more realistic figure to help you.

I'd expect around 15mm edge to edge for most of my groups, but odd ones will drop to 10mm purely on luck :oops:

TheTurn, KeithW, garym and 1 other person like this.
  9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    The Gent above has it covered IMHO. You can expect movement in the wind but it's also possible to have pellets lift or drop slightly depending on wind direction.

You can get some heated discussions about grouping on here as some claims will be decried as BS. IT IS possible to get sub 10mm 5 shot groups at 50 yards but it's about doing it consistently. If you can consistently group around 15mm at 50 yards then there's nothing wrong with you or your rifle.

Edit...I'm positive I've read before that a 1mph wind at 55 yards will move a pellet approx 1.15 inch.

pbrown likes this.
  10. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Thank you for the above, I will try and do some groups in the calmest conditions, not sure when that will be. I think the gun is ok as I shot it indoors at 25 yards, put it in a rest and shot five pellets, it just enlarged one pellet hole slightly. I was concerned how it would perform over twice that, as it is a 10m gun recently converted to full power, well 11.1. Read a few things that 10m guns have shorter barrels, so not so good at 50 yards. that was in my mind but may be unfounded.

11. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Testing Testing!! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree

That would depend on the pellet / die, some move more than others. Plus some other factors. If a 1 mph wind moved my pellets 1.15 inches, my windage would be out!

12. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    This sounds about right, we all shoot regularly in 6-10mph just as background wind, so with a figure of over an inch per mph we would be striking a foot either side - but I', more like an inch max in these conditions, so would suggest it's more like 0.1inch @50? :rolleyes:

13. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    There's a table somewhere where you can input the wind speed, wind angle, grain and fps and it will give you a deflection. I'll see if i can find it....may be on here or tother forum.

14. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    10mm edge to edge group at 50m in the wind?
    You will clean up at Benchrest!

Conor likes this.
  15. Halil

Halil Member

Shebbear Shooters - Useful Information

16. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Surely I would have missed, as they were 17mm away from where I wanted the pellets to hit. So would more than likely come last.

17. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

18. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
  19. Ballisticboy

Ballisticboy Active Member

The following table was produced years ago based on the measured velocity drops for each pellet type. The calibres are in metres and the wind drifts are in inches at 30 yards in a 5mph crosswind.
    The problem with trying to base wind drifts on measured values on a range is that you never know what the wind speed is over the entire trajectory at the time of firing. This makes direct comparisons extremely difficult. Even the table below should be regarded as only being a guide as even if two pellets have the same BC, start and end velocity they can still have different wind drift in the same wind.

windT.jpg

Jesim1 and C.Eaton like this.
  20. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Your 3 shots could have been used to dial your crosshairs to zero before the card, and then clean up the match on that new zero....

10mm from outside edge to outside edge is unbelievably good at 50m, never mind where the initial zero you start from is.
    Use that start point 17mm away to either use manual windage/holdover 17mm away from the bull each time, or if conditions are consistent, dial the scope to the new zero point and win many medals.