What put(s) you off shooting Field target?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NJR 100, May 6, 2010.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I have some theories based on non Ft shooters views, as to why some shooters do not shoot Ft. The result of not shooting FT is either they shoot Hft or just plink?

So, I am looking for comments from non Ft shooters as to why they dont do Ft shooting / comps?

2. Feral

Feral New Member

as per my reply on bbs between SHS and SiHFT that gives two good regular HFT comps covering the whole year and visits to lots of clubs all within 1.5 hours. For me HFT is so much more convenient, if there was a local club and series I'd definately be doing FT as well as HFT.

3. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    From what I believe, to compete at a good level you have to have some very expensive kit.

Also the FT shooters seem to be a bit more reserved then the party boys that shoot HFT

4. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    What 'e said....

I'd like to have a go but since I don't know all the rules nor have a club nearby that I can pop to for a friendly shoot it puts me off a bit.
    I would like to try it though.

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I agree that the kit. by definition the scope, has to be expensive but i find the lads and lasses in the FT circuit just as friendly as the HFT circuit.....probably more so in the NEFTA area.

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    looks like there's some mythbusting to be done... i'll see if i can rattle off some stickies on what scopes can be used and what they can be had for :)

as far as clubs go, it's a little more tricky... apart from the GP's there isn't a summer league at club level (unless you live in SWEFTA's region). Certainly from my own experience I recognise that having a turn key event at a club is enticing, it's just the manpower it needs to keep that going. However I'd say that if you can practice HFT, then you can probably practice FT. But there's probably not the expertise on hand within some clubs to get the ball rolling...

7. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I can't accept the kit cost argument.

I have a Custom Shop that cost 120 quid s/h. Most people will spend more than that on a scope for HFT.

I just can't get into a comfortable FT sitting stance that means I aren't in pain and not wobbling all over the place.

I'm a dwarf with a long back and short legs.

HFT prone is just so much more easier and steadier for me. I can cope with kneelers and standers.

Boz

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  8. Bill Peat

Bill Peat TALLENTLESS PUMPERTEER

Club:
    PURLEY CHASE
    looking at hft comp results i see people using walther steyr ev2 daystate/ ftr mk4 platinum, rippers etc using bushnell burris leupold eb scopes and see pics of custom stocks are these not exspensive?

i started shooting ft with a fn19 and a simmons 6x18 pro air costing £120 i now have kit worth 10x that, but i still get the same buzz from shooting and have a great craic with fellow shooters.

but i am still a talantless shot though:eek:

look at google club finder to find your nearest club. try it

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I think the kit cost comes from looking at off the shelf new scopes, and admittedly for FT, they aren't that cheap if your looking for something beyond entry level.

Certainly 2nd hand there are scopes however in the same price bracket as quite a few new HFT scopes... but then probably a 2nd hand HFT scope is going to be less.

Position wise, I find getting into prone a hassle, so I elect to shoot it (when I can) kneeling and standing. But for me, HFT is something I really switch off from taking seriously enough to make an effort with, so it's just for the pure enjoyment of sending lead down the range on a sunday that I turn up for. So I can see how FT is the same for others.

More club coaches required ;)

10. Bill Peat

Bill Peat TALLENTLESS PUMPERTEER

Club:
    PURLEY CHASE
    Rob also you get shrubs and wildlife in the rips in your jeans lying prone!:eek:

11. Weevie

Weevie Banned

I think the problem for many is with expense. It's just not the expense you guys think it is.

It's been said that many of the rifles seen on the HFT circuit either are FT rifles or would be perfectly good for FT (S400 for example). There is a problem with this though.

In HFT one of the most popular scopes is the EB Sniper. It's a good compromise between the many characteristics required for the 'perfect' HFT scope. The perfect HFT scope doesn't (yet) exist of course but characteristics like good DOF, as little as possible parrallax error, ability to mount low do show up on the tried and tested 'good' HFT scopes.

FT scopes are very different, in fact some characteristics that make up a good HFT scope would be bad on an FT scope.

Practically speaking nobody in their right mind is going to want to keep swapping an HFT suitable scope and an FT suitable scope on a single rifle.

So that means not only getting another scope, it means getting another rifle to put it on.

Some people can afford to do that. Well done to them if they can, they're obviously doing something right in their lives. :)

Many can't. Which is why I suspect a lot of HFT shooters don't shoot FT.

I'd quite like to give it a go myself but unless someone can 'lend' me a rifle with a suitable scope on top (and teach me how to get over this belly on mine in the seated position! :eek::D) I shall be carrying on with HFT and occasionaly wistfully looking at those exciting big scope wheels! :D

12. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

There aren't enough weekends and I prefer shooting HFT. To be fair though I shot a bit of SFT in C grade before I got my FT rig and that gave me a great idea of what it's like, I really enjoy the FT shooting I've done so far as like Rob with HFT I don't take it too seriously, it's just a nice break.

I'd heard all the stories about FT shooters but it's not different to the HFT mob, a big bunch of mates who'll go out of their way to help you get to grips with their sport. Like HFT there's a few wangers but you get that everywhere.

Ryan

13. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I've always thought due to a back injury that I'd never be able to shoot FT and have always been bias leaning towards HFT because of it.
    A bit like shooting my gob off without learning all the fact:rolleyes:just like me:eek:
    I have now tried FT though and am now wondering what I've been missing because as with HFT, I love it...it's just a different way to enjoy shooting my rifle.

I haven't got expensive kit either....an S400 topped with a 70 quid BSA scope which range finds pretty well and seems to do the job nicely which I'm also using for HFT.

Some people are tackle tarts...some believe that expensive kit will buy wins....some people genuinely do shoot better with more expensive stuff....some people win competitions....many don't.
    The question was though what puts you off shooting Field Target and not what stops you winning FT competitions so just put all that to one side for a minute and go out and buy what you can afford and try it......and just enjoy shooting for what it is....bloody good fun;)

I don't class my self as being bad at HFT though I've never won anything major and I may never win anything at FT but if good times were trophys then I'd have a cupboard full;)
    Dave

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
  14. GMF

GMF Non member

TURNCOAT :p :p :p :D :D :D :shot:

Glynn

15. Andy006

Andy006 Member

In the days before HFT, all I shot was FT. I used to be a member of Roger Moys club in Norwich. Infact Roger taught me the basics of FT many years ago. I would still shoot FT if I had an FT club near me........occasionally, but I now prefer HFT and I love shooting at my Club, which is an HFT club. Both have the same type of people in them, some serious, some not so. It's just the same. I find HFT to be just as difficult as FT too but in different ways.

Regards

Andy:)

16. D Martin

D Martin Non member

It's the new me mate;)
    For a hobby it was getting way too serious and things were starting to stop my enjoyment.
    I've gone back to just simply shooting for the fun of it because I want too and not because I feel I have too like when I first started and though I never thought I'd say it...Field Target is helping me do this and hopefully teaching me a few things for when I shoot HFT aswell.:)

Dave

17. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

I think there are 3 reasons.

Time, to shoot both HFT and FT, would cause anyone in a relationship to suffer badly, so people have to choose one or the other, the second one they might try occasionally.

2 Guns, you can't do both with 1 gun, totally different set up, very expensive, and hard to justify.

Plinkers are plinkers, they bought their guns to get out of the house occasionally and have a plink, and they are happy doing just that.

18. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Cost of set ups

19. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Bases

Another person I know who uses this set up is John Costello, who as we both know shoots damn well at both sports.

I have changed to standaard rings on my ev2 aat this time, as I damaged the bases when stripping my kit down last year. I have since bought another set of bases and had them machined and will fingers crossed be setting them up when I can.

I have used this sort of mounting set up for years and personally love the bases. I have never lost zero when changing scopes over from one to another. Leupold guarantee that when you take a scope off and replace it, at most the zero would be 1 click out at 100 yards. This would have been tested on full bore rifle set ups mind.

As with shooting both sports, I can understand why people stick to one that they favour.

Alot of it comes down to the comfort factor, they become settled in the sport they are competing in and do not fancy changing as they do not know what the other sport my bring. Meeting new people can be daunting to some, personally I love meeting new people in both sports and thoroughly enjoy going to both events. I have gained many great friends in both codes, even though I shoot mainly ft. I honestly wish I had more time to shoot hft.

I work shifts and in Wales we also run a summer series, which as you can imagine doesnt leave anymore time for much.

I will try my best too make both types of shooting when I can.....

Berty Bassett

20. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Shot FT a few times and may do the odd comp now and then, but always use my HFT rig as its just not for me to take seriously and get a FT kit.

Pete