what pellets for a Air Arms EV2

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Original 66, May 14, 2019.

1. Original 66

Original 66 New Member

Club:
    North wales shooting school
    Just bought a Air Arms EV2 the previous owner hadn't used it for ages so i don't know what pellets to use in it.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    JSB Exacts or Air Arms fields are always a good place to start.

NeilM likes this.
  3. Fly fisher

Fly fisher New Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Mine likes JSB 10.34 gn.

4. Original 66

Original 66 New Member

Club:
    Thanks Steve I just don't want to waste my time buying tin after tin of pellets and getting no were cheers

5. Original 66

Original 66 New Member

Club:
    Cheers fly fisher are the JSB 10.34 s the ones with the longer body?

6. Fly fisher

Fly fisher New Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Yes they have a longer body and I have also found that weight wise they seem more consistent than JSB 8.44 gn. If you were able to borrow a few at your club, you could test for grouping and move forward from there. Good luck.

hmangphilly likes this.
  7. Original 66

Original 66 New Member

Club:
    Thanks for the info i will try some at the weekend and let you know how i get on cheers fly fisher

8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Depending on what you are using the EV for, you may have no choice but to try lots of different pellets, it is pretty much standard practice... even if it is hugely aggravating that we have to go to such lengths and expense to find the 'best' pellet for our rifles.

Ray Rudd and madplinker like this.
  9. johnbam

johnbam Member

Club:
    New Caledonian ARC
    I have been using aa fields in 4.52 year 2016 and below for last few years. Exceptional in this rifle. I dont trust jsb exacts after a run of bad batches.

New aa field are a hit and a miss. Tried them out and getting odd flyers, noticed some were loose in the breech and started tilting the rifle up before closing cocking lever and if they fell out they got ditched. Tried new aa fields in a FTP900 i am considering buying. Done a 80 shot string at a 45 yard target unweighed pellets, breech seal was tighter so no fall outs.

However was doing 8 x 10 shot groups at different targets (was measuring over chrono for consistency, group size and poi change (as i heard the ftp900's can be flaky for it and the one under test was standard shroud, break and not floated)

Was not the best test i have ever done as i was coming off quite a spectatuler hangover and my shooting ability was highly questionable and there was a twitchy wind. Did notice on many of the 10 shot groups, 2 groups were appearing, suggesting perhaps 2 die mix in the tins.

Ditched my pellet scales years ago, as the ev2 with old ev2 pellets shot so well from the tin. Waiting for new pellet scales to come in the post as not exactly blown away with the current batch.

And just in case if anyones interested, over 80 shots 21 fps variation (that was down to about 6 shots taking it high or low, variation without them maybe 15fps. 1st group at 180 bar 35mm below iam point, 2nd to last groups 30mm drop. Average velocities across the 10's for all about the same. (35yd zero btw)

Bored you? Get 2016 and older fields....they rock. Shot them superb in my pros sports and s400. New batches...meh. (PS if you source 2016 aa fileds, give me a shout if you have spares :D )

10. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    2016 pellets,,,,,,,you,ll be lucky

johnbam and NeilM like this.
  11. Original 66

Original 66 New Member

Club:
    Yes i totally agree with you Neil and thanks john its all food for thought cheers lads

johnbam likes this.