What non lead pellet do you use?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Delphinus, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I read here that you guys next year will have to compete with pellets without lead.

I would like to try some, my favorite is the rangemaster 4.50 but I can't find them anymore.

What pellets you will use or which ones should I give a try?

Thanks

2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Have you got a link to that? As it's the first I've heard, I've a huge stockpile of regular pellets so won't even consider it until theyre used up.:)

3. Pod

Pod New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    The Daystate Rangemasters were lead. Don't think they are getting anymore made.

4. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    At least we, in NL, need to use non-toxic (lead) pellets from the start of 2011. Don't know about the UK.
    We did testing with these pellets, with some good and bad results, depending on the pellet type.
    What we have seen so far is that the Dynamic SN-1 and PCP-1 perform fairly well, at least for HFT distances. The Baracuda Green has tighter grouping but more frequent flyers.
    For FT there realy is a challenge as between 40 and 50 meter the grouping is not that well.....
    Perhaps as more countries need to start using thesse pellets, the manufacturars will come up wih better types and more pellet headsize choice.
    regards,
    Rob
    btw, polygon barrels perform well with non-toxic pellets, as these are very hard (tin) and lightweight.

5. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Forcing the use of non lead pellets would put an end to the arguments for or against reducers in FT. It may even require an ENLARGEMENT of the FT killzone to something like 2 inches:eek:

GS:D

6. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    news to me

I havent heard anything myself regarding a change of pellet type to the non lead type pellet.

Im the same as Ryan, I got a good stock of in my eyes superb pellets and want to keep them for ft/hft.

If there are changes coming to the use of pellets then surely we would have been told. Also giant makers of pellets such as JSB would have to be looking at alternative materials to use to produce pellets.

I spoke to a couple of representatives in Hungary earlier this year and they said nothing of a change to the materials used to produce pellets.

Would be nice to know if they have been made aware of countries having to change? if so are they working on new pellets????

Berty

7. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Ask Bob , am sure he will be along shortly:)

8. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    You are correct I was a post from Wiseguy and I didn't notice that he's from NL :eek:

9. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    I hope the same rule applies to who use a shotgun and all other firearms!

Many years ago I tried some Dynamic in 5.5 but they were useless with wind.

I will try the Barracudas, can you also tell me where I can buy polygon barrel.

Probably some lube improve them.

10. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    As a small addendum I need to stress out that we ar not forced by governement ruling to start using non-toxic pellets. Our Dutch Field Target Assosiation club, who organise the Dutch national championship, has decided on their own that starting 2011 we need to use ony non-toxic pellets.
    Other events, at club level, are not impacted so we can keep using lead pellets.
    This has given a lot of discussion over here, as the non-toxic pellets which are currently available are by far not equivalent to lead pellets.
    For me personnaly I decided to give up FT1 class and start HFT for the non-toxic champioship events, and only shoot FT with lead. Just because with non-toxic, distances up to 35meters seem to be good enough and HFT goes upo to 42 meters, where FT goes up to 50meters.
    What the future will bring, nobody can tell....
    regards,
    Rob

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    That's going to make any World event in Holland a little tricky :eek:

12. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

I wouldn't think so Rob. WFTF core rules over ride local rules (that are not a legal restriction) and clearly state that:

Any Lead/ lead alloy pellet MAY BE used.

If that is what the WFTF core rules say when NL host, then that is what must be allowed.

Funny,....... when reading around a few of the World's online forums, many are still mystified by that "core rules over ride" concept. Take Italy next year for an example,.....domestically does not allow shooting jackets or clothing, but it WILL have to for the Worlds. Yanks are still debating exactly what that means:confused:?????

I think its quite clear, that whatever the WFTF Core Rules are come World Champs in any Country, they over ride any "local rules". Whatever the Core Rules do not cover explicitly is covered by local rules.....:)

IMHO while "green" pellets are a noble gesture, anyone using them would be disadvantaging themselves, unless the entire WFTF membership changes. I can see that happening. (not)

GS

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  13. RobF

Club:
    yep, but if lead is banned in NL, we can't us em, no matter what the rules say ;)

(agree about the other bit :D)

14. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Think its safe to say this is a non Government initiative Rob.

It should not impact on WFTF Champs in any way,.......... unless in the meanwhile their Govt see this initiative, jump on the bandwagon and make the law change for them because they are voluntarily using non-lead pellets.

Its still too early to make a change to FT pellet specifications on an International or National level to non lead. When a range of good performing pellets comes on stream and is available to every WFTF member Country, then is the time to make a change and not before. I'd say; the year a non lead pellet shooter gets a top three place in the Worlds against lead pellet shooters......., then we are ready.

As the saying goes: give an inch and they will take a mile!

GS

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2010
  15. RobF

Club:
    ah sorry, missed that bit.

... well, yes, then it won't make jot of difference.

will be interesting to see how they cope without lead, but i suspect they might find what everyone else has found, that they're not as good as they need to be...

16. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    The reason behind this non-toxic story is that it all has to do with the shooting ground where the Dutch (H)FT championship shootings take place, Elspeet. This is a place where for long time shooting took place with lead, you even walk on lead bullets everywhere.......but, the shooting ground only got a new permission if there would be added no more lead at all to the existing environment there.
    A bit strange, as the amount of lead added by airgun is marginal, but it is extra lead, which is not permitted by governement for that specific location. Even FT targets in containers to collect the lead was not allowed, leaving only non-toxic pellets as alternative to keep shooting there.
    Why not choose another location??? Good question, the organisation defended their descision by stating that if we would start with non-toxic we would have a advantage to the rest of the world when they need to go to non-toxic pellets (ever)......
    As a result a lot of shooters decided a) to give up at all b) swap to non-toxic HFT c) test and try FT non-toxic in 2011. We will see how this will evolve.
    Long story, but rather off-topic and only valid for my country....
    Positive side is that we have experience with different non-toxic pellets, good and bad. :)
    regards,
    Rob

17. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    They should try what we do here, were I shoot the field is vacuum cleaned and this way a large part of the lead is removed and recycled.

18. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    Perhaps possible in a flat field, but our mentioned location is a complete forrest with bushes....
    With containers where the targets were placed inside, we also could collect most lead, but not all, what was the condition for the new permission. Not a milligram extra lead allowed, leaving only non-toxic....sad but true. Again, not a choice at free will.
    Let's stick to the discussion on good/bad non-toxic pellets, enough info to tell/share ;)
    My experience after severe testing:
    1) barrel needs to be clean, very clean using non-toxic (tin) pellets.
    2) higher pressure regulators perform better, as the (harder) pellet is more difficult to shape inside tthe barrel.
    3) polygon barrels perform well now, even on 16J, due to less friction, lube helps also regarding this.
    4) Pellet poi drop is heavy between 35 and 50 meters, lighter pellets, very wind sensitive.
    5) Grouping is acceptable up to 30-35 meters, beyond this distance it's a lotery.
    6) My choice upto now Dynamic SN-1 and PCP-1 (4.46 and 4.50mm) , Baracuda Green, the rest is quite bad.
    I'm also very interested in other peoples testing results regarding non-toxic pellets.
    I buy them at Sportwaffen Schneider (Germany), they have a large collection non-toxic.
    regards,
    Rob

19. Delphinus

Delphinus New Member

Club:
    CTC
    Have you tried the Stoeger X500, it looks good with less surface for wind.

One question that came to my mind is how the tin pellets will affect the barrel life.

20. RobF

Club:
    With the groupings as described, i bet it would last for ages... ie you wouldnt want to shoot them :D