What magnification and parallax setting do you use for HFT?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Bellerophon, May 3, 2014.

Tags:
?

What magnification and parallax setting do you use for HFT

Poll closed May 13, 2014.
  1. X6-X8

16 vote(s)
    14.5%
  2. X9

21 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. X10

69 vote(s)
    62.7%
  4. X11-X12

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Above X12 (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  6. Below X6 (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 20y-25y

49 vote(s)
    44.5%
  8. 25y-27y

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
  9. 27y-30y

14 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. 30y and above (please specify

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  11. 19y and below (please specifics)

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Active Member

Ok following on from the FT thread it would be interesting to see what people use, but when you've answered to poll would you be able to give an answer as to why you use those settings please. I think it would give those new to the sport a good in sight into the thinking behind our choices.

By the way this a multiply choice poll so please use both your choices, one for mag. The other for parallax.

Cheers Kieran

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. Bellerophon

I use x9 as with my current scope it gives me a good clear useable depth of field from 13y to 45y, I'm currently playing with the idea of using x10.5 and changing to 30y just so the longer targets are a bit clearer and the little bit better magnification will help with my range finding.

3. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Sorry for jumping on your thread as I don't do HFT. What I want to ask is how do yo manage to see the kill at 45yds using 9mag? If I don't use 50mag the target must seem a loooong way away :confused:

Sandyman007 likes this.
  4. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    It just looks a lot smaller and more blurred - a couple of the many challenges that makes HFT harder than you'd think. You don't see too many 40mm kills on a HFT course these days either. A blurred 35mm kill at 45 yards isn't an easy shot, even if you're prone and resting on a peg.

5. shaun eustace

shaun eustace Member

Club:
    Maldon and District (MAD)
    X9 mag for me with 20yd parallax allows me to see all targets 8-45yds. There is obviously some blur at range but I use that to help range find. Not saying this would work with all scopes but it works with mine.

Peter Trimmer likes this.
  6. mikeygasbag

mikeygasbag Member

Club:
    Fort Airgun Club
    I use a Hawke Sidewinder 30 4.5-14x38, also known as the HFT special. This scope has the SR6 ret.

I have set it up using 8x magnification with a 25 yard parallax. Obviously, the smaller than normal objective lens helps to give a greater depth of field. Using 8x mag helps even further. The set-up gives me a defined edge of kill for the longer ranges, particularly useful with 25 mill kills now out to 40 yards. The drawback is not a great deal of blurring at the extreme long ranges to assist with range finding, and probably far too much blurring on the close in targets. As with pretty much all optics on an air rifle, it is down to best possible compromise and personal preference.

Mike.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  7. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I use a Night Force NXS 2.5-10x24 set on 10x mag, the small objective coupled with 10x mag creates a very small exit pupil which effectively eliminates px error, I set the px distance very short so that I can use the degree of blur to identify ranges. It is possible to set this scope to be clear over the whole distance, looks great but doesn't help you much!

Any scope can be used to aim with, a scope that is good at feeding you range information while not suffereing px error when blured is my requirements for an HFT scope.

Pm1973 likes this.
  8. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    10mag - I have tried lower & higher mag but find 10 mag a great compromise for target magnification V target blur, for my taste anyway.

Around 23y parallax - I try & set my scope to just start to blur out about 15+, gives me a heads up for range, if its a 15mm very blurred I know its 13. I also (used to, as I don't shoot enough at moment) get used to blur at longer ranges to use as an range indicator, I don't use this as a main way to range but as one of afew aids I use as a whole.

I also use these settings for shooting SFT & back when I used to be able to shoot I would get around 25 targets (on a good day) on a FT course. Same again 10 mag a great compromise (for me) & the 23y parallax is blinking blurry but with a bit of practice it can be helpful (why I don't change PX, like you can in SFT, is another story)

Mark

9. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    fixed 10x42 Sightron so I don't have a choice of mag, with 23 yard px.
    When I have used variable mag I prefer 9x but can use 9 or 10 mag happily, with 23-25 yard px depending on what the scope is like at distance.
    I sold Dave Semmons his 3x9x32 Sako Burris back, because it was clear all the way, and I didn't have a clue how far things were with it. I need some blur but not too much! I like the Sigtron so much I have bought another.

10. james graham snr

james graham snr Member

Club:
    Bedlay airgun club
    EB Sniper Fixed 10×42 parallax set at 25yards zeroed at 35yards tried other scopes and different magnification and found that the EB sniper works better for me...

11. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    Sightron 10x42 with parallax at 24y, mag fixed to 10x and zero at 35y.
    Always shot at 10x with a 35y zero so it just looks familiar.
    Parallax at 24y gives slight blur on ret at 40y, blur on faceplate at 45y.
    Clear from 16 - 35y
    Very blurry from 8 - 11y but I just deal with it.
    Would rather have clearer targets at distance as there are usually lots more of them on a course.

12. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

Tac 30 10 x mag and 23 yard px . I like this set up as I can range using the blur rather than bracketing or other methods.

13. Spoelie

Spoelie Pellet Head !

Club:
    Springfield
    Leupold 6,5-20x40 EFR (TMR Reticle) 9x Px at 31yards zero on 33yards

14. Fatsnapper

Fatsnapper experiendum durius

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Hawke Tac 30 at 9x set at 26 yards
    This is a compromise so that the closest target at 8 yards is not too blurry and the extent of blur is useful to some degree for range finding up to 30 yards. 35 is a bit blurred and up to 45 it's blurred but the kill is still visible enough to aim at. The other thing for me is that the greater the mag, the more I wobble about on free standers and kneelers!

I'm thinking about changing the scope for an MTC connect SL.

15. ianh1966

ianh1966 Member

MTC Connect SL 3-12 x 24
    Mag 10x PX 22ish give crystal 13-30 on crosshair. Less than 13 and more than 30 I use the level of blur to range find with varying levels of success......

16. blue dragon

blue dragon Member

Club:
    Rivington riflemen
    Hawke tac 30 fixed 10 25 yrd zero 35 parallex as others use the blurring to range find
    -Steve

17. Bellerophon

Excellent feedback guys, let's try and get as many people who shoot HFT to answer this poll as possible that way hopefully we could get it made a sticky for new comers to look through.

18. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Steve have you got that the right way round?:eek: Certainly interesting and food for thought if it is.

19. buckmaster

buckmaster Member

Club:
    Cloybank
    EB sniper, 10 x 42 parallax set at 25 YDS and zero at 35 YDS,
    Blur 8 - 13 YDS in the centre of scope but edges clearer and can make out reasonable detail on a target,
    out to 45 YDS pretty crisp picture,

I have 2 EB`s and the other one`s not as good, 8 - 13 YDS blur and the edges of the lens have blur too.

20. stillwater

stillwater Well-Known Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Dommie has a
    Leupold VX111 venom ret.
    10mag fixed parallax but cracked and wound down to about 25 yds zero at 27yds.
    Clear from 13yds to just over 40 yds then blurred at the edges.

LGV has
    Burris Fullfield 11 ballistic plex
    9x mag again fixed parallax wound out to about 25 yds zero at 27 yds
    Clear from 15yds out to 45 yds.