What is Hunter Field Target (HFT)?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Dec 24, 2008.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Hunter field target (HFT) is a target shooting sport derived from the air gun disciplines of field target shooting and hunting. Primarily an outdoor sport, shot with UK legal air rifles (rated at a maximum of 12 ft ·lbf), a typical HFT course is made up of 30 lanes, with each lane comprising of a peg and a metal "knock down" target placed in a position to simulate a hunting scenario. The peg marks the shooting spot and the shooter must touch the peg with part of his or her body or gun for the shot to count.

The targets are mainly based on typical UK-based quarry such as rabbit, rat, crow, magpie and grey squirrel. They are made from metal and mimic their counterparts in both shape and size. Each target has a circular "kill zone" that varies in size, (typically 15-45 mm in diameter), and are set out at varying ranges (typically 8-45 yards/7.3-41.1 m). A direct hit to the "kill zone" triggers a mechanism that makes the target fall back flat, simulating a "kill". Successfully "killing" a target rewards you with two points and the target is reset by pulling the "reset cord". "Plating" a target (hitting the target anywhere but the "kill zone") rewards you with one point. Missing the target altogether results in a zero.

The main skill in HFT is the ability to range the target as accurately as possible. Ranging is either done using the traditional method of "visualising" the number of yards separating you from the target or, more scientifically by using a telescopic sight fitted with a "mil-dot" reticule but also a 30/30 reticle. There is no dialing in for range finding, this is the domain of the normal Field Target discipline.

When shooting, contestants may adopt one of three stances: prone (laying down), kneeling, and standing. Sometimes contestants will be forced to adopt a certain stance, for instance a lane that has "STANDING ONLY" sign must be shot in the standing position. If the shooter fails to follow this rule, the score for the target will be marked as a zero, even if it was "killed"

Equipment
    A typical HFT rifle set-up consists of an air rifle fitted with a telescopic sight. The rifle can vary from the very basic break-barrel spring-powered rifle to the most advanced electronic recoil-less pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) rifle. The most popular calibre for HFT is .177 because of its flat trajectory and telescopic sights capable of x10 magnification are favored.

HFT does not discriminate to what rifle or scope is used, A rifle could be a Chinese spring or pneumatic rifle with Chinese optics or the very latest Field Target rifle with the most expensive scope.

Participants of HFT are separated by class, and it is primarily the equipment used that will affect the class shooters shoot in:

Class Description
    Open Any shooter. Primarily contains shooters using pre-charged pneumatic rifles in .177 or .20 calibre
    Junior Shooters aged between 9 and 16 (2 classes 9 to 13 & 14 to 16)
    Recoiling Spring-powered or gas-ram air rifles (any calibre)
    22 Any rifle in .22 or .25 calibre

Competition
    The competition side of HFT has a controlling body in the form of the United Kingdom Association for Hunter Field Target] (UKAHFT). The UKAHFT series that has run every year since 2003 currently consists of nine rounds held at different venues around the United Kingdom. Each round attracts around 200 shooters from all over the country, with varying abilities and equipment.

When a club hosts a UKAHFT round, it must adhere to various strict rules controlling the format of the course. The main rules for a UKAHFT round are:

Target "kill zones" must be 15 mm to 45 mm in diameter.
    Targets must not be places closer than 8 yards (7 m) or further than 45 yards (41 m).
    15 mm targets must be set at a range of between 13 and 25 yards (23 m).
    20 mm targets must be set at a range of between 8 and 30 yards (30 m).
    25 mm targets must be set at a range of between 8 and 35 yards (32 m).
    Rules may change from time to time and maybe reviewed on the ukahft.co.uk series website the rules will also be available on the ukahft.org website from 2008. If you require information to where you can shoot to this discipline then follow the external links below, the .org.uk site has a clubfinder that will highlight the UKAHFT affiliated Airgun Clubs in your area, these are clubs that adhere to the UKAHFT rules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Field_Target

Stream123 likes this.
  2. clubshot

clubshot Member

If you live North of London - Check out Lea Valley Air Gun Club - Hertford

www.lvag.com

We Run a Monthly Competition for Members & Visitors

Ideal for First Timers - As We run buddy Shooting for first time Shooters

On same Courses that the Club Run's National Competitions on

BOB/R

3. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    For a relaxed, friendly introduction to HFT competition try the NEFTA Hunter series.

http://www.neftahunter.co.uk

(site not yet updated, for 2009 dates see here)

4. silverfoxx

silverfoxx New Member

Hello pals, i'm back to air rifles after a long time. Bought an hw90k .22 a few months ago and i'm still learning to use the bigger caliber(had a Norica Mod 64 in .177 as a teen) I use it mainly for pest control and for sure my improvised HFT on my shooting ground along with you guys, had helped me a lot !!

Thanks a million!!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    If you are looking for some extra skills I have a very good training manual I can send in PDF format. Helped me alot in the early days of HFT

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    if you want, email it to me and i'll host it here :)

7. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

This one Gary ?

8. Feral

Feral New Member

Don't be silly Dave it' this one

In seriousness, am interested in seeing the genuine article if Rob can pop ia link up.

9. martin c

martin c New Member

10. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

HFT Scope

What restrictions are put on scopes for HFT?

11. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

No restrictions, you just can't touch it once you've taken your first shot.:)

Ryan

12. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Cheers Ryan.
    What do you suggest as a proceedure regarding the 4-16 that's on my TX, what should I set it on? I've heard x10 is the optimum for the depth of field.

13. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

I'm using a Leup Comp fixed 45 it is really clear at all ranges.

Andy

14. D Martin

D Martin Non member

My EB sniper is fixed x10 and parallax set on 25 while my son now shoots his SR6 on x8 mag and sets his parallax around 40.
    Because your head is in so many different positions in HFT parallax error is a big thing and it is important to get to know your scope and what mag/parallax setting works best for you.
    Many shoot so that 40 yard targets are crisp while 45 yarders are slightly blurd which can help in range finding, some like it clear all the way through.
    My son again has found that if he shoots on 10-12 mag he sufferes from parallax error while x8 mag reduces this.It's all trial and error and finding how your scope suits your eye, this some times may even mean changing to a different scope all together to find one that works for you.

Dave

15. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Of course it is :D

16. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

If you bring it along to Castle we can have a play around with the settings. My HFT scope is 8x mag and the px is fixed somewhere between 20 and 30 yards I reckon. As long as I can see a splattered 8yard 20mm, 13 yard 15mm and a 40mm at 45 yards then I'm happy, they've not got to be clear as a whistle just shootable.

Ryan

17. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Cheers matey, will do.:)

18. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

You heard wrong. The best possible DOF would be achieved with the lowest mag available. DOF is also increased by reducing the size of the front objective. 10x is often used as a compromise between DOF and actually being able to make the targets appear as large as possible. It also happens to be the mag setting where many scopes are "true" as far as mil-dots go. Increasingly, people are using lower mag, smaller objective scopes in an effort to maximize DOF.

19. cocksure

cocksure Weihrauch flasher mac....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016