What has helped you the most in HFT ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi all

What is the one thing that you believe has helped you in hft ?

Did that pellet sizer give you an extra point ? :)

Did your new £1000 scope set you a world apart from your rivals ? :D

Did that bisley butt give you the extra few inches you craved ( Sparky ) lol :eek:

I could go on but will spare you the anguish :cool::cool::cool: But I believe the adjustable cheekpiece on my stock has helped me more than anything else , the reason I say this is that I can only see through the scope in one position which mostly takes parallax error out of the equation ...... blah , blah , blah

C'mon then whaddaya think , yes I know its a whole load of things that can help but which helped you in particular ?

atvb

Dave

2. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    Regular practise, if I don't shoot regularly, then it's back to square one. :eek::(

3. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

Regular practice and my Daystate MK3.

Also the MTC Viper retice has had a positive effect on my HFT scores and rangefinding.

4. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

The 2 main things that have helped me in HFT have to be familiarity with my equipment and experience.
    Ive essentially used the same set up for the last 6yrs and have 100% faith and confidence in my scope and rifle, if i miss its my fault. The experience side of things covers not only things like range estimation, how to tackle awkward positional shots, judging windage, etc but also mental states such as pre shoot nerves, holding it together after a dinked target, coping with mind games from other shooters and confidence during shoot offs, etc. Those vital extra points aren't all things that can be bought from the local gunshop:)

5. Feral

Feral New Member

Things that helped me the most

1) Stop twiddling the scope PA and learn the blur
    2) Stop changing my kit every 5 minutes
    3) put paper targets out every 5 yards out to 45 and learn the trajectory of my set up and then repeat it regularly
    4) Listen to more experienced shots and try and learn
    5) Shooting glove
    6) Good quality glass
    7) Practice... having targets and a lot of reducers dotted around the garden

6. All That Remains

All That Remains Caution...I Bite!!!!

My HFT (shooting in general) experience is novice compared to most but I have been picking up tips and tricks and modded my gun (new stock, and 3 scope changes) however from my limited experience the biggest thing that has helped me is shooting away from my club. As soon as I started shooting away from just the club league in different surroundings and shooting with different people I found I started to learn much more. Not only that but you get to meet some great people with a common interest.:D

7. dimmer0707

dimmer0707 Member

Waking the wife up before I leave for the shoot :D:eek: steady's the nerve's that cup of tea see makes;)

8. GMF

GMF Non member

all the bludy pain killers :D :D :D

Glynn

9. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Practicing in the week as well as comps at the weekend. It means I can recreate shots I struggled on in a comp and sort it out. Kit etc is down to the individual but being familiar only comes with using it a lot and not changing anything.

Ryan

10. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    weighed pellets - cheers Pete;)

11. MojoCrow

MojoCrow New Member

1. Settling down on my kit. S400-MTC-Target Glove-Sorting Pellets (weighing when I can be bothered, checking a pellet before loading always).
    2. Adopting a routine. Open rear lens cap first then front cap, cock rifle, check pellet then load it, check where target is via string, adopt shooting position and make certain I'm touching the peg. (Thinking about it, this seems to be making a real difference)
    3. Don't take my inhaler in the morning if I can get away with it as I'm a slightly better shot if I can't breath that well.:D
    4. All the tips & advice given to me by the fella's at Buxted (most helpful of all).

12. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Practicing at M.A.D & Quarry, having a stock that actually fits me and changing my zero;) thanks Pete:D

13. Grayling

Grayling New Member

A proud Englishman from a once great country sadly
    Club:
    Fort airgun club
    I have seen a few HFTers mention target gloves, have these become more popular of late. I only remember a small percentage of shooters using a glove.

What are the main benefits of actually using a glove in comp ?

14. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    After we brought in 15mm's realising that weighing pellets are a must:D

And make sure you have gun time the week leading up to a comp.

But the main thing for shooters to learn is find the kit that suits you not compying what other shooters use who are doing well.

Pete

15. D Hat

D Hat Everyone's friend

For me it's got to be sticking to one gun and scope and shooting it as often as possible in as many conditions as possible. It has taken 6 months to get to know the Walther and scope, at times it's driven me mad but it's been worth it. Also mounting the scope straight helps as well.

16. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

Taking away any thoughts that the RIFLE-SCOPE-PELLETS are not right, so confident that the kit is OK, i know it's me that let the team down.

17. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Keeping your kit as well maintained as possible (rifles maint, pellet weighing etc) and practice are the things that set one shooter apart from an equally talented shooter that doesn't bother IMHO.

18. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    The best tip i had from mr dopper ?

When i had given up on HFT cos the high shots were doing my back in . sold my kit . mr dopper came along and explained to me that what i should have been doing was laying side ways . resting the rifle on the gloved hand on the peg . which takes all the strain out of it ? dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh ??? HOLLY

19. popsheep

popsheep Lee Marvin & the Shadows

hope you are trying that in the morning at Springfield

see you there ,THE SHOOT-OFF KING

20. martin c

martin c New Member

as with anything being surrounded by people better than me can and does have a positive effect.
    i'm just waiting for it to kick in :rolleyes: