1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What FT Rifle to Buy

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by PA410goodshot, Jan 13, 2018.

1. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot New Member

I am thinking of getting a full blown target rifle, short list below, not in any order as yet.
    Walther Dommie
    AA FTP900
    Daystate Tsar
    FT 800X
    Steyr
    Annie 9015 or previous models if budget won't stretch that far.
    Looking at second hand to save pennies and in the hope any faults have been rectified by previous owner.
    Budget up to a max 1800 got a Big Nikko so can save money that way what would be your 1st 2nd and 3rd choice and why.
    Many thanks for any suggestions.

2. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Because I`m............. Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree, Harriers
    Ev2 for £700 and spend other £1100 on pellets and air

3. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Steyr LG 100/110, easiest gun to shoot at any price and it will stand up to any weather.

berty177 likes this.
  4. Ratinator

Ratinator Active Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Steyr ( easy to work on)
    9015. (Trigger is second to none)
    Walther ( bomb proof, but fiddly to work on)
    800 ( These have had good results)
    Daystate and Ftp have too many issues

5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn IHFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    What he said and for the same reasons though the ftp's seem to have gotten over their niggles now.....?

Personal favouite would be a Steyr though from that list but don't discount a sorted Ripley either :cool:

6. simona

simona Member

The reason that the choice is difficult is that the performance of so many rifles is so similar.

I'd try a few and see what you like the feel of. The gun I've liked the most is my Walther Dominator though in most quantifiable areas my Steyr is probably slightly superior. In the unlikely event that I had to shoot an FT course to save my life I'd dust off the Walther.

The waters are even muddier SH as just about every gun is modified. I cleared a GP course and won the Euros with my Steyr in out of the box trim, totally untouched. Despite this I've never truly settled with it. What you might happen to prefer might not have much to do with logic.

Which gun is going to make you feel most confident?

JPS Norton and James like this.
  7. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    I would go with
    1. Ani 9015 or its close derivatives - current wisdom is they are the best around at moment once sorted - maybe a push to do that for 1800 though - as not sure on fettling costs by one of the gurus - I had a 9003 and loved it
    2. Daystate Tsar - not all have issues!! One of the best straight out of the box
    3. FTP especially if fill and reg issues have been sorted already - I've had a couple and only minor issues with one, lovely rifle once on song.
    4. Walther LG 300 or 400 - I've had 3 and all have been good
    5. FWB 800 - current wisdom and popularity says it is not as good a buy as the 9015 et al - loved it - looks -build - everything but it was "finiky" to keep on song and was persuaded in passing it on
    Interesting one re the Steyr - I have had 4 and none could shoot straight, barrel issues are legend and cleaning every 200 shots if you are unlucky becomes a pain.
    There will be many that swear by them - maybe I have just been unlucky.

Raw TM1000 are superb as are the ISP Airstreams - but a bit rarer - I have had both and should have kept them. Both within budget new I believe but probably a waiting list for the ISP.

8. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Look like you can afford whatever you want. Starting point for me would be do you have anyone at your local club / local to you who is a Jedi master at any of the guns on your list.

I’d guess a well sorted ev2 would outshoot / handle a less well sorted anything else.....

9. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot New Member

Thank you for replies so far. I have had a barley twist barrel styer in the past along with a 8002 annie several EV2,3 and 4s and a ripley AR4 so not un familiar with target rifles. Just wanted to see what was the norm now. I had not thought of a TM1000 are these doing well or are they the lone ranger i.e. not many about. ISP are good have shot a few over the years but as mentioned long waiting list. I have been offered a mk3 EV2 with a ISP reg and tuned by them may just get that for now until something comes up that really takes my fancy.

10. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    The TM1000 are about in small numbers but are highly regarded by those that have them - hence not many for sale 2nd user etc. I do not think you can go far wrong with an EV2 especially if it has been worked on by Shaun. I imagine you will save a bit to put towards pellets and maybe better glass in future - so enjoy!

11. simona

simona Member

What was your favourite of the guns you've had? You've had a lot of great guns, perhaps you're able to answer your own question!

12. simona

simona Member

The only really different new guns are the fwb800 and Daystate Tsar. The 9015s are very similar to the 8002 you had, assuming that had a compensator. The RAW TM1000 is very similar to a Theoben Rapid and comes in a Gary Cane style stock. Perhaps a simple design but well built and popular with owners.

13. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot New Member

I shot best groups with an EV2 but not my favourite rifle, the trigger was best on the 8002 and i preferred the simple clack thwack when using the bolt on the Ripley so a bit of all of them. What do you shoot simona and how do you find your choice over others.

14. Conor

Conor Never has been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Nelson & Nomads airgun club
    Wonder does the RAW have a gammo trigger?

15. simona

simona Member

I still shoot the Steyr though I've not done much lately. I think about going back to the Walther almost constantly. They are both great guns, it wouldn't make a great deal of difference...

16. Jesim1

Jesim1 Member

Club:
    BOAC
    I've got a Steyr LG110 HFT which I've had from new, they are north of £2k now, and although mine is totally standard apart from a quick fill, virtually everyone I have spoken to either have them to bits or "get them done" by someone else - mine has been fine and works flawlessly as is. I worry sometimes when people have to get these guns "sorted" - if it's a reputable person with a receipt that is fine, but I've heard a lot of stories often attributed to previous owners - so basically third or fourth had tales which are out of date or incorrect. I see these going for under a grand sometimes - I'd want a hell of a lot more for mine!

I had an FWB800FT but just never jelled with it, it was an excellent gun, no better than the Steyr, but shot perfectly and again was totally standard. The chap I sold it to loves it, I think it's just a personal thing with this one as I can't fault it but would get one with a quick fill if buying again, but if new they are too expensive compared to others as they are around £2.5k.

My FTP was also great, it had the reg. creep thing going on, but as long as you cocked it and took your shot it was no bit deal, if left for 5 minuets you could see it drop 30fps on the crono, under normal use it was single figures shot to shot. Just as accurate as the two above, decent to shoot, heavier than both to me, but a good gun with no real issues for me. At around £1500 new I think it's one of the cheaper options, and second hand it's a grand.

I've still got my Tsar but don't get much chance to use it, so it's feeling neglected. I can't tell the most accurate between the Tsar and the Steyr - and this is paper punching, so I'm talking 1-2mm differences in 5 shot 30m groups, it shoots really well, no issues and single shot variances. List is around £2k but they can be had under that and I see them going second hand for £1500 or less regularly. Mine is a nice one and I've not had any issues, again, kept it totally standard as I think some rifles get devalued by inexperienced people "sorting them".

I've never tried a Dommi - that probably tells me I'm not really into them, and the above rifles I bought, the Dommi I didn't? The LG400 is probably worth a look and is the update from the 300, so potentially better but probably more like just an update? They have a good reputation and can be bought from under a grand second hand, but I don't think I'd part with the £2+k they want for them new now?

I've never had the Annie 9015 - I just think they are too expensive for the performance when you look at a good Tsar/FTP - which are a potential bargain in comparison. If I honestly believed they would make me hit more targets on a more consistent level I'd buy one, but I don't, and almost £3k for a gun that is probably no better than a second hand one of the above at half the price is a step too far for me - I could always sell two of my existing guns and buy an Annie - but that thought lasted as long as it took to type this sentence!

Not on your list but mentioned by others - the TM1000. I've looked at these but never gone for it, not sure why as they get a good press, but I can't help thinking they are older technology now, and just feel a bit dated? At the right price I'd give one a go, but they have been around a long time now, and if they were that good there would be a lot more around, so my instinct says good - but not sure they are better in the above company at similar price points?

1+1 The Steyr and the Tsar
    3 FTP900
    4 FWB 800FT
    5 TM1000
    6 Annie 9015
    7 Dommi 300/400

I've also considered price in this - technically the Annie may be the best rifle, but by how much, and can it be worth twice the price of some of the others for a difference which will be lost on 99% of us?

Just my take on things, but I would encourage you to get them all shouldered and try them out - a couple of each if you can as they don't always shoot the same model to model. See what fits and what you like, then go for it. If buying second hand you will not lose too much if you sell it on again, but if you go new you had better have done your research as most of these will drop £400/500 as you walk out the shop!

James

17. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot New Member

James thank you for the in depth reply, all good points and will be taking all on board. I love the look of the FT800x but keep talking my self out of having one purely on looks alone. the FTP900 is just an EV2 in a fancy frock so not doing it for me over an EV2, the Annie is a little steep new and as you have said is it twice as good as its price suggests. So going to keep looking.

18. uk_stretch

uk_stretch New Member

I bought a Zenith tuned LG 300 Alutec with custom woodwork from someone who was shooting AA scores with it (thanks Mr Penman). It's a great gun with a fantastic trigger and will consistently take out 55yd targets without breaking sweat in any temperature (that you are likely to shoot in). And it was way - way south of your budget.

When you look at all the rifles on the list I think the most important bit is that it is sorted and serviced by someone who knows what they are doing. Second is that when you shoulder it it feels good. Everything else is just ego and pose :)

For looks I'd go with a Jon Harris or Zenith FWB but it wouldn't shoot any better (in my hands that is).

2p

Stretch

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  19. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot New Member

Do not know a lot about the Tsar as much as its not made by Daystate so would worry if it failed and had to go back for repair, also seems a little steep on price for something that is made in Russia reminds me of the old Lada etc, with a BMW badge on lol.

20. Jesim1

Jesim1 Member

Club:
    BOAC
    The Tsar is made primarily by Ataman, who are well respected in their field, Daystate import it, do a bit of cosmetics and fine tuning and put it out as a Daystate Tsar. It is a regulated mechanical rifle and in general gets good press, so no issue any decent gun smith working on it, but I'm sure like anything else you will find someone who will disagree - which is fine. If your ever in the north west feel free to drop me a line and you can join me for an afternoon on the range - indoor or out, it will take out anything you throw at it, as will all my guns - you can even have your pick, I have loads!

Price wise you can pick them up around £1900 - £300 cheaper than a Steyr, and £700 cheaper than the FWB 800 FT, it's hard to find a good HFT/FT rifle munch under £2k new now?

As for Lada, I gained a new respect for them when I lived in Russia for a bit - I used to slag them off, but after a cold winter hitting -45deg in the night they were the only things running the next day - have you ever seen lorries at the side of the road with fires lit under their fuel tanks?:rolleyes:

James