what do you think

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by mentalmick, Oct 29, 2012.

1. mentalmick

mentalmick New Member

hi guys , finally made my mind up about what setup to get for hft. hW100 with 4-16x44 sightmark scope. whats your opinions please. thanks

2. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    The HW100 is an extremely well proven rifle and is perfect for HFT. I would however look at another make of skope.

for hunter field target you do not need more than a 10x magnification. A perfect first scope is something like an MTC Mamba lite, or a deben hawk panorama with the half mill dot ret.

Hope this helps

Gary

3. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    agree with Gary there, it would be wise to go to a shoot first and see for yourself what kit is being used before spending money.

A HW100 is a relatively safe spend, optics - depending on what you get can be a whole heap of problems & frustration. Spending more is not a guarantee of a good scope for HFT.

4. mentalmick

mentalmick New Member

hi gary, dave thanks for your advice. the rason i was looking at getting the sightmark was the excellent review on it in airgun world

5. mentalmick

mentalmick New Member

hi gary, dave thanks for your advice. the rason i was looking at getting the sightmark was the excellent review on it in airgun world

6. hotversion

hotversion Member

re

Have you ever seen a bad review in any mag? the problem seems to be what works for someone dont work for you,i got a 10x44 viper and thought it was perfect,then found out it didnt work for me,altho theres not lots and lots to try,you will find posts to cover most hft scopes on this site.

7. gasman1

gasman1 New Member

a mtc viper 10x44 is a good starter hft scope. theres one for sale at a good price on the other forum. its not even been mounted to a gun before.

the hawke tac30 10x42 is also a good scope for the money. with both scopes being a set 10 mag your dots will always be the same distance so you can learn your aim points. although i prefer the tac30, the viper is the better value for money as you get everything except the gun with it. (flip ups, mounts, sunshade, side focus and illuminated ret)

i have a tac30 4.5-14x42 for hunting, but i only really use it on 10 mag as thats what i'm used to using. the set 10 tac30 seems to have a brighter clearer image than the variable one.

hawke panoramas are also getting a good rep at the moment too. none of the scopes mentioned are too expensive and are easily good enough for the job. its best to try and have a go with other peoples set ups to see which best suits your eyes. chris cundey for example has tried lots of different scopes at lots of different prices, but still ended up going back to the viper. it suits him and he shoots very well with it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  8. Petervw

Petervw Member

reviews are nice to read but mostly written to sell
    have a good look around before you buy , scopes are very personal
    I really like my Mamba Lite because I don't like the 10x fixed scopes

Peter

9. gasman1

gasman1 New Member

ive been tempted for a mamba lite for our young un. are they a true mil dot on 10 mag?

10. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Mick,

I have not read the Airgun world review on the Sightmark and I am sure it was well written and acurate, however, was the scope used for HFT?

Both Dave and myself shoot HFT to a high standerd (Dave better then me) and we have looked through many different scopes. I also work for Airgunner magazine and have tested many scope for normal shooting and HFT and trust me, you will not go wrong with the Mamaba lite or the Panorama.

I have been writing a beginners series for AG and we have been using a Hawke Panorama EV 4-12x40 with a half mill dot ret. ( £125)

If you use this scope with a 40 yard zero, all of you 15mm and 20mm targets are the half mill above the kill zone, the 45 yard mark is the half mill below and everything else is in between.

The optics are good for the money and I have used one and scored a 57ex60 with it.

Hope this helps

Gary

11. D Martin

D Martin Non member

They say it is but I have the eyepiece wound right out for my eyes which tends to make the ret thicker. Mine is true at 12 mag but very clear and an excellent scope.
    It must be good as I'm going to purchase another one soon.

Dave

12. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I have got to stick up for Gary and Rammy here, the half midot rets in the new Hawke Panorama is very good since they started to glass etch them, very visible but also very fine, the new AO version of the mildot Panorama now gives it the versatility to enable it to be a good hft scope, for the money i doubt it could be beaten.

Simon.

13. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Plus one for Gary's, Dave's and Simon's suggestion ... Panorama with half mil dot.

Mine is nice and bright with a good picture and the fine half md ret is very useful.

I get the idea that the zooms give more options than the fixed mags and that the adjustable AO options gives even more flexibilty.

On the Hawkes that I've had I've had no confidence in moving the scope once I've set the zero. Moving the AO or even touching the adjustable eye bell to focus the ret has meant a move in zero.

My Panorama is fixed pa that is set to 25 yards.

14. James0807

James0807 Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Gary.

As you know very well this depends on the height of the scope mounts!

Regards.

15. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

The panorama is a great scope for the money, i sold my tac 30s for them. I have 3 of them now.
    However they are not all good. Ive seen one with crap glass.so best go to a shop and pick the best of the bunch.
    Also the turret covers are pants.you need to put another oring on the thread to stop it screwing down too far of itl adjust your zero for you! !!
    But apart from that its a hell of a scope for 120quids!

16. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Too right James

My scope is 1 3/4 inch above centre bore on high mounts.

35 yard zero means you can aim bang on for everything incl. 15mms from @ 13 to 22 yards. At 25 yards you have to aim 1/4 mildot low for the 15mm. Over 25 yards through to @ 37 you can just aim bang on again. 40 yards is 1/4 mildot aim high. 45 is 3/4. So you just have to be able to spot that 15mm over 22 yards and give it that 1/4 md.