What benchrest rifle do you use

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by paul.w, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Geoff, what conversion on the 9015?

2. Phil Kennett

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks Neil, cleaned it before using it for the first time and it was filthy, stuck approx 300 pellets through so far. How do you determine when it needs cleaning?

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I was cleaning mine after every 150 shots to start with, a quick pull through will soon tell if it needs more work. Once the barrel was shot in I found even after 400 to 500 shots a pull through was coming out only slightly grubby.

If you have shot 300 pellets since the last clean, give it another go and see how the patch comes out, the blacker it is, the more work it needs.

4. Phil Kennett

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Are you doing a wet pull through Neil, thanks for the advice

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I'm old fashioned and use a rod and patch, but a pull though with a little cleaner or gun oil for the first pass, then a couple of dry patches and once they come clean I use a patch with a tiny bit of oil (I use FP10) just to leave a trace in the barrel, that usually does it.

I have also used the VFG system in the past, but after pretty ordinary results recently with some rifles, I did a deep clean on a FWB800 I had at the time and thought I had wrecked the barrel (not really possible with VFG). It took about 50 to 60 pellets before the accuracy returned, so I've not used the system since... which is odd, as I used to swear by it for my EV2 mk1 (CZ barrel).

6. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Jon Harris.
    Agree about cleaning the barrel on the 9015, although since doing this, the JSB for 20yds group like a dream, and the flat heads for 10m have gone right off!!!

7. garym

garym Active Member

Phil, mrgeoff. Is that 9015 a lefty stock? Or are they ambi like the Club model? Apology for the slight highjack:)

8. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    My 9015 was the benchrest start, full ambi stock, grip exactly the same as the club, but with more adjustable cheek piece.

9. garym

garym Active Member

Thanks mate, i will look now.
    A couple of mates have bought the club. I just fancy someting different. I like yours :)
    Me being a lefty somewhat limits me, ambi is fine.

10. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    The benchrest stock is much longer than the club, has a very long wide fire-end. When I got it converted, I got Jon to do me the extra long cylinder in steel. Plenty of weight, plenty of shots. (150+ at full power!) the cylinder with QF is actually longer than the original barrel shroud, Jon’s signature muzzle end is the extra length.

garym likes this.
  11. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Nice rifle mrgeoff I fancy the Anschutz myself I didn't realize they were ambi.
    Do you use a rear bag or shoulder rifle?
    If you shoulder it how does it fit, does it have plenty of adjustment?

12. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    For pellet testing I use 2 bags.
    For comps I have to shoulder the rifle, but it only just touches the shoulder as it’s benchrest, not FT, most of the support comes from the gloved support hand under the butt. The bottom of the butt also has a slight flat.
    If your doing unlimited weight benchrest, don’t think you could beat the stock.
    If you are doing weight limited benchrest, you may want the club stock and an alloy cylinder.

The grips on both are identical, and for my BR hold it’s nice. I do have a club stock as well which I tried the action in for FT, and the grip is too upright for me for an FT hold, plus had to remove a load of material to get my thumb comfortable. No such issues with the completely stock grip for BR.

Cheers!

Phil Kennett likes this.
  13. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Thanks for the reply mrgeoff. Thats good to know. I shoot NSRA style comps so I also shoulder with a glove on my non shooting hand. Cheers.

14. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    I did fancy a new anschutz 9015 or steyr. But heard mixed messages about them. So couldn't be arsed with all the barrel problems, conversions, changing barrel, quickfills and all that. So looked for a secondhand one that had been done. Was luck with the one I got. it was a proven rifle with a good pedigree. And was lucky I had the pellets it liked. But do like the look of the anschutz 9015 not to sure about the steyr challenge.

15. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I have recently started using my Steyr for HFT, as my 9015 was my main outdoor comp gun for the past twelve months. The 9015 is now doing a sterling job in my new bench-rest interest. Not entered any serious comps yet but intend to have a crack at the 12 mag limited category so I can use the Bushnell that currently lives on the gun.
    During its service life so far, the Tench converted 9015 has cycled tens of thousands of pellets and has never missed a beat. The barrel, apart from a rigorous cleaning early in its life has received a pull through every 300 shots or so and remains accurate enough for confidence inspiring performance off the bench.
    I am currently using a Warren Edwards walnut stock that I commissioned for HFT use. While this still works, obviously a "proper" bench rest stock would be preferable. I dread to think how much an Anschutz item would cost though! Maybe I should contemplate using the standard "Club" stock the gun arrived with, although it is a bit short length of pull wise.
    Most of the serious bench rest shooters I know prefer the RAW TM1000. They tell me it is, they think, the most reliably accurate gun out of the box that there is for this discipline. I have an HM1000 multi shot which is deadly accurate, but does not possess the stock dimensions I would prefer.
    Choices, choices!
    Andy

16. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

City air weapons have the Anschutz stocks for £874, so not cheap...

17. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Blimey! I suspected they would not be cheap, but £874!!!! If I was to buy a new stock, I reckon that the usual Warren Edwards route would probably be the one I chose.
    Thanks for letting me know that they are available though. Just done an internet search and couldn't find one.
    Andy

18. Phil Kennett

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    I bought a 9015 club and have put a Tilley BR Hamster on it, fits on the rail and cost less than £50

19. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

No worries Amac. I stumbled across them the other day and thought they were a bit dear myself.
    Might be worth investigating Phils option if you already have the club stock.

20. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Phil out of curiosity do you you have a photo of the Tilley BR Hamster? It would be interesting to see.

Cheers
    Paul