What benchrest rifle do you use

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by paul.w, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    Think it is easier to get an accurate setup using .22lr and cheaper. The airgun route would be a challenge and I am thinking of trying it along side my anschutz 1813.

2. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

I was having this same conversation Tuesday night at the club. I mentioned I was thinking of getting an Anschutz 9015. My mate said it would be cheaper to get a ticket and an Anschutz 54. He then said it costs him £8.50 for 50 Eley black box...
    I will say his rifle is laser accurate with them.

3. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    That may be true, but given this is an "Airgun Target Forum", airgun BR is most likely what people here will be interested in discussing.

4. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

Been there done that...I shot .22 RF Benchrest for 2, almost 3 years but ammo went from $12.00 US to $22.00 (Eley Black Box) in those 3 years and good lots were very difficult to get...Those issues killed the sport in this area and left a lot of us stranded with big investments...

With my pellet gun shooting at 25 Meters I will usually beat any RF Benchrest gun shooting at 50 Meters (have done it many times)...Here in the NW United States we used to have 200-250 very good rimfire benchrest shooters but greed (cost of ammo) and bad lots pretty much killed the sport...The good news is that many of those shooters became happy pellet gun competitors.

I used to shoot 2 Turbo action .22 RF guns with McMillan Carbon stocks, Shilen Ratchet and Poly barrels and tuners...Won the MT State once and the NW regionals (5 states) twice. Now those nice guns and 13,000 rounds of ELEY Black Box (many lots) are collecting dust inside my safe...I have an Anschutz 1710 D that shoots ELEY ammo pretty precise but does not shoot nearly as precise as the Turbo action guns do...After shooting competition Airguns I will never go back to gun powder burners.

Regards,

AZ

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  5. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Hello Azuaro
    Interesting to hear you experience from across the pond.:)
    And wow I thought RF ammo was expensive over here:eek:. I must admit I have always been tempted by the RF route but over here It seems like a bit to much effort for what I would gain. Which by the sound of it wouldn't be much..

Although It is fun blasting through a 50 rounds of rws club in a 10/22. I think I'll stick to my air rifles and get my rim fire fix using the club guns.:D

Cheers
    Paul

6. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    See your point about it being an airgun forum but a lot of airgunners have rimfires too. My point was that shooting rim fire and even using eley sport or club it is easier to get accurate results.

7. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

After participating in the USA Nationals in Mesa Arizona, I stayed there as an observer for the "Extreme Benchrest Shoot" the following 4 days...This event was quite an experience, the guns and equipment that you see there is the best of the best, amazing technology!...There is no doubt in my mind where the industry is heading:
    High tech very accurate, powerful and sophisticated guns that can be fully adjusted/tuned by the consumer.

FX, Brocock and Daystate with its Red Wolf HP in .22 caliber were under the spotlights all the event...I never thought of shooting the EBR but I will next year, it is a lot of fun with tons of participants that you don't see in any rimfire or centerfire competition; other than maybe Sporting Clays (Shotgunning) no event gathers that many shooters and attention.

Best regards,

AZ

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    C.Eaton likes this.
  8. Tiger

Tiger Member

MK4is (sporter i.e. max 12x mag) and FTP900 (LV i.e. unlimited mag).

At the moment I am better with MK4is. Going to put the Sightron 36x on MK4is to see how I am.

Had S400, S200 and HW100, but in my hands they’re not as good as the MK4is.

9. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

my gun still up for sale

paul.w likes this.
  10. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    The steyr LG 110 I have recently purchased coupled with a sightron 36x42 scope is proving to be very accurate and only let down by poor out of the tin pellets. With work on the pellets I think it will be superb.

Paul_T and retroruss like this.
  11. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    I use my steyr lg110 on Thursday For the first time she's setup for HFT. But had a spare 20 mins. Found it likes my pellets I use in my s400. Had a nice 247 13 x's. but that was on 10 mag and parallax was set at 22 yards. Great rifle but she's staying a hft rifle for now anyway...

12. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Hit my PB Thursday, Bean Bag front rest, shouldered rear, 247 13X's this is with an HFT500, tilley BR Hamster and my newly acquired Weaver T36, that weaver forces intense concentration
    levels, really forced me to slow down and work on technique

paul.w and retroruss like this.
  13. Romah

Romah New Member

Club:
    St Giles Yarners

14. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Nice one Phil, keep it up.
    how's the new anschutz going.

Phil Kennett likes this.
  15. Phil Kennett

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    The 9015 is not currently as accurate as the HFT500 Paul. I am slowly upping my kit, the Weaver T36 is now on the HFT500, I have a Lab jack on order so I will see how that performs against the bean bag I was using.

The 9015 is still in it's early days and I have been using AA diablo 4.52's which I use in the HFT500, it does not seem to like them as much so I will be pellet testing going forwards.
    The trigger however is wonderful, I only have a vantage set to 12X mag presently but probably getting a Big Nikko in the future which will double up as my FT scope.

Bench rest is highly addictive, I keep a spread sheet of all my results and equipment used.

16. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Phil just use the second stage only, no need for first stage!! that's what I did to my s400. I only keep my high score cards. Lol. I love the weaver here iv still not tried this old tasco out . Not sure what rifle to try it out on. It's got a lovely 1/8. Was thinking of using in the UKBR22 sporter section. which I want to try this year...

17. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Just got me a FWB 800 FT to try for benchrest, it was actually the rifle I wanted in the basic wooden stock and I was talked into the 9015 benchrest basic as the latest/greatest. Got a leupold comp 35x for the FWB so I can have a try at FT with it too.

Just finished my LH grip for it.

DCCA8EED-57BF-49DE-98E8-3D8C5BDF5AF4.jpeg

tony mccracken, paul.w and GaryB like this.
  18. Phil Kennett

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Looking very nice Geoff, do let us know how it goes, I am testing out a new 9015 presently, also just dropped a weaver T36 on my HFT500 which I am trying out

19. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Here is the 9015 for comparison

5FBA213C-1230-4F2E-8FAC-7D32BA34DA1E.jpeg

Phil Kennett, paul.w and garym like this.
  20. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Phil, make sure you clean the barrel on the 9015 frequently for the first couple of thousand pellets. You will know when things are settling down as you will find that you can extend the number of shots between cleans.