What benchrest rifle do you use

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by paul.w, Oct 18, 2018.

1. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

Mathematics probably

2. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    As in, Made in America.

I dunno, some of the results I have read have a fair few Air Arms, FX (at higher velocities) and others in there.

3. hmangphilly

As in the events organised by outfits that have links with various manufacturers and entering / sponsoring teams that use products of those manufacturers

A good shooter wins , sometimes despite the kit he's using but merely because he's a great shot ,
    Then the bandwagon starts a rollin '

That said ,
    I think I like the look of the tm 1000

Are these the ones that look like the isp?
    Or is that the rapid . I get confused

Wouldn't mind a close look inside

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    The TM1000 is very loosely based on the Rapid, as the CEO of RAW was a director of Theoben.

My TM and ISP performed almost exactly the same, but the ISP has an Anschutz trigger fitted so that decided which I kept and which I didn't.

My TM is now being used very effectively for Bench Rest, a discipline I am just in the process of taking up..... oh dear!

5. hmangphilly

Aye
    Robs got aspirations of benchrest glory too

6. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

I only have 2 "Made in America" air guns: The RAW TM-1000 and an old Sheridan .20 Silver Streak I've had since I bought it new back in 1965 and that is in impeccable brand new condition...

In between guns for ISSF 10 M, 25 M Benchrest, 50-75 & 100 M Benchrest I have several PCP's: Daystate (3), Feinwerkbau (3), Steyr (1), Anscutz (2) Air Arms (1), Brocock (1) and FX (2)...
    I like the feel of an Anschutz 9015, this gun feels just right when firing it but my 9015 FT performs about the same as the Steyr LG-110 and both of these guns are much better and accurate compared to the rest of the brands for 25 M Benchrest (indoor or outdoors)...

The issue with all of these fine German and British guns in the POWER LEVEL...Anyone can make them shoot very well at 12 ft./lb. or lower power levels, but once you start setting them up to 20 ft./lb. or above they all misbehave and do weird things...At higher power levels RAW, Brocock, FX and now Daystate with the Red Wolf outperform any Anschutz, FWB, Walther, Air Arms, etc..

The RAW turned out being VERY FORGIVING at any power level and what I liked the best is that it is constructed as a tank with very few parts/systems that can fail...I can load this gun and leave it without firing 10-15 minutes (or more) and it will shoot EXACTLY the same POI with zero velocity change, no reg creep or issues that most other guns have and where the POI changes after being loaded and kept unfired for some time. Then at high power levels none of the other brands is as forgiving and as easy to make it shoot...This RAW TM-1000 is a USA made gun but in reality it is a British gun with British technology being manufactured in the USA...Sometimes simpler systems work better and provide better results and to me this TM 1000 is one of those instances.

Cheers,

AZ

7. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    That's a really informative reply Azuaro, thank you.

You are right about velocity. Some while ago I was preparing a Pro-Target which I intended to use in the USA at a few FT competitions, at 785 fps with 8.44 grain pellets it was a tack driver. I had a long barrel on it and a reg extender which allowed me to easily get it up near the 20 ft lb limit, but it did not matter what I did or what pellet I used I could not get it anywhere near accurate enough at higher velocities, I backed the velocity down and down and down and it came good again when around 800fps, so I scrapped the whole high velocity idea.

8. hmangphilly

Neil
    perhaps it's the 'built like a tank ' part that the others are missing .........?

9. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I have never found the TM1000 to be overbuilt, it has a bit more meat to it maybe but not massively so.

Maybe it is that an engine designed to produce a maximum of 1000 BHP can easily and reliably run at 600, but the reverse is much harder to achieve.

10. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I looked at the RAW rifles when I was on my hunt for upgrading the Rapid, which as setup with a RAW reg and QF. Looks like they have just got better, but OMG at what cost, I thought the 9015 was a little pricey!

11. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    The 9015 Club is cheap, the One and Precise cost a fortune, especially as the only difference between the three is the stock.

The exchange rate has not helped with the price of the TM1000 but the last time I looked they were still under £2k.

12. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Maybe the gun was fine and you needed some nice heavier jumbo pellets to get results...:D

13. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I tried a few different 10 ish grain pellets Colin, nothing was consistently accurate.

14. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    I was thinking more JSB monster or beast flavour if you wanted to push 20fpe...;)

15. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Possibly because many of the best shooters trust the relative simplicity and reliability of the action, probably.

16. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Nomads
    Boom! :cool:

17. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I don't think either of those were available in 2005.

C.Eaton likes this.
  18. C.Eaton

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    You're probably right...;)

19. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Sorry never did reply properly. The hw101 likes jsb die 46,45,16. All 2015 tin And new heavys,

20. Xdriver

Xdriver New Member

Club:
    Bury rifle club
    Hi, I have used anschutz 1813 supermatch combined with a fox firearms scope. This has given good results.