What a gd scope for hft?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by gavin hopps, Apr 4, 2013.

1. gavin hopps

gavin hopps GP 2015 C GRADE CHAMP

Club:
    Pontefract
    Im starting to do hft comps this year but wanted to no so good scopes from cheap to mid range.
    Yours gav

2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Gav...that is one hell of a question.:D HFT scopes are harder to suit than FT scopes. There are so many variables.

I've used MTC Vipers for years and are great for the money but if you look at the national HFT series and look at the scopes used by the top 20 then you'll see at least 10 different scopes. I have owned almost every HFT scope over the years in the search for the holy grail.

For example i paid 750 quid for a Leup MK4 and thought it was awesome on the zero range. Then you get on a course and find that you are missing more targets than normal as (for me) it suffered huge parallax error, same with the TAC30 and Bushnell 4200.

Can you get to Emley this sat morning as there is an open shoot on. There will be loads of different HFT scopes there and you'll be able to check them out. You could come along for a shoot too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  3. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    Hi thanks for the help. I under stand you are unable to use the side focus wheel in hft. So do you set it around 25 ish then it would be ok for the diffrent ranges?
    Yoirs gav

4. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    thats it ,though it might alter from scope to scope. I work it so my 45yds are a bit blurry but 40 is ok then you find
    it pretty clear and blurry again sub 12yds.

5. D Martin

D Martin Non member

Like Chris said its a tough one there are so many. I'm using a mamba lite at the minute and like the scb ret. A few shooters have gone to the Hawke panorama which has a TAC30 ret but retails at a lower price. If you're looking for a mid range scope either of these will set you back £120-160 mark or the other alternative is to go second hand and look for something like a Bushnell 3200 elite.

Dave

6. chrispp

chrispp Member

HFT Scope

Search around for a second hand EB Sniper they come up now and again quite regular on here, I have managed to pick up a couple recently. Seem to go for £180 ish

7. johnharper

johnharper Member

Club:
    YORK FTC
    now that is a top offer from one of the top hft shooters not to be missed take it up gav you will learn alot from chris
    john

8. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Gav. Each scope is different but for my viper i have a px set at 23yds. What i do is place a target at 15yds and then reduce the px so that the target just starts to loose clarity. The bonus of this is that it becomes quite easy (with practice) to use the amout of blur to work out the range for the tricky close ones. With a normal set up, if you have a 35yd zero than you would normally (depending on mount height) have a secondary zero of 15 yards. That why it's important to know when you have a target at 15 yards and under, especially the 15mm kills. You'd be surprised how different the aim points are for 15,14,13,12,11,10,9 and 8 yards. For UKAHFT the closest a 15mm kill can be is 13yds but 12yds for a NEFTA hunter shoot. Knowing that before a shoot can also help.

Also with this set up 40 yds is just loosing clarity and 45 a tiny bit blurred so again, helps with range finding.

I hope it doesn't sound too tricky but if you have any questions just drop me a PM and ask away.:)

9. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    Thanks you have been a great help. I think i under stand it all now. I may take you up on that offer and drop you a pm when i dont under stand or need help.
    Yours gav

10. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Gav,
    You will find that things make more sense once you've shot the comp at York.
    Just make sure that you've spent a bit of time and got an idea of aim points with your current set up for now.
    Give Wayne a kick up the backside :D:D and make sure you have targets from 8 to 45 to check with beforehand.

Making the trip to Emley as Chris offered might be useful to get a good basic setup with what you have for now. There are some very experienced HFT comp shooters over there.

11. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    Negotiating the mine field of scope choice can be a headache,try having a look through guys scopes mtc viper seems to have a good rep for the price,I use a light stream 4.5-14x44 and have a eb sniper and I'm torn between them both but the optics in the light stream are winning at the moment,don't make the mistake of buying something that doesn't suit you.

ATB
    James

12. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Practically any scope can be used for HFT - something around 8-10 mag will work best.

To illustrate a point - I've witnessed UKAHFT national events won by scopes that most people (including me) would say aren't really a suitable scope for HFT. As an example back in 2006 I think - Andy Calpin won the UKA event at Lincs using an FT scope - Tasco Customshop 10-60x60 with high mounts and an ordinary ret I think. He shot on 10x mag but high mounts and 60mm objective lenses is something most people would advise against.

I've also witnessed someone clearing a UKA national course with a 20x mag scope.

The point being - it's down to the shooter, not the scope.

If you're new to HFT - my suggestion would be use whatever you've got - try to set the parallax to around 25 yards and your mag to around 9x-10x if you can to give you the best chance.

Instead of buying a scope and spending time setting it up, invest that time into accurately recording and learning your holdovers. Use some of the money you've saved by not buying a scope to buy pellets and spend time perfecting your technique - trigger, breathing, follow-through.

Once you've shot your first HFT comp, look back on it and try to figure out the main reason for dropping points - and work on fixing those things first.

From my experience the most common reason for dropping points when you first start is not having a gun that's been set up, followed by not knowing your holdovers, followed by poor technique. Sorting those things out will gain you more points than buying a new scope - I guarantee it.

If I were you, I'd take Chris up on his offer - not only is he an excellent shot, he's also a top bloke who will go out of his way to help you out. He might even give you some tips on setting your gun up.

Also have a read of the Novice to Ninja articles - www.anstonftc.co.uk/novice-to-ninja

13. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Active Member

I was going to write a massive essay, then Brian's pretty much summed everything I was going to say up. as always Brian bang on advice!

14. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Well-Known Member

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    LOVERLY mtc viper for sale £100 tel bob tarran on 01924-382098 cracking hft scope;)

15. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Bri is spot on with his advice. One of the NEFTA HFT rounds (a few years ago) was won with a 3-9x40 scope with duplex ret. It had cost the owner £25.

He missed 2 shots - one a kneeler and the other a close 15mm reducer because he gave it the 10 yard aimpoint when it was closer to 13 yards. If the shooter had known the rules he would have known the target could not have been closer than 12 yards (NEFTA rule) and the shooter wobbled on the kneeler.

The scope would have cleared the course if the shooter had been up to it - he was the weak link.

He is also right about getting over to Emley and tracking down Chris - he has put more effort into helping new shooters than any other shooter I know and he knows his stuff :)

Dave.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  16. Wayne65

Wayne65 Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Practice course out on Sunday Gavin. I'll take you through it.

17. gavin hopps

Club:
    Pontefract
    Thanks wayne for your help. I am afraid i wont be able to help set the course up as im at scotland till saturday. But will be there bright and early on the sunday.
    Gav

18. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Scope choice is a very subjective matter. What works well for one person can be an absolute nightmare for someone else. So, I'd reiterate the advice on this thread – have a look through as many as you can before deciding for yourself.

What I would say is that regardless of what you end up trying first, invest in a set of good quality mounts. I'd personally recommend Sportsmatch mounts.

Here's what I've found (so far)

MTC Viper 10x 44
    I think the MTC Viper 10x 44 is hard to beat for value for money (which is probably why you see so many on the HFT circuit).

The SCB reticle is really useful for HFT, especially when it's mounted on a sub 12ftlbs .177, as you'll find that the majority of ranges will fall within the floating crosshair. You only really need to come out of the crosshair for the extremely close/far away shots. The turrets on the Viper are about the best that you'll find on any scope at any price – very well thought out indeed!

The Viper is often regarded as an entry level scope, but I know that Chris Cundey has had a lot of success with his, and I also noticed that Richard Woods (Dop) shot a 58 with his during the first day at the Worlds. So for an entry level scope the Viper can certainly hold its own amongst a field of scopes costing many times as much.

Expect to pay £100ish for a good secondhand one.

MTC Viper Connect 3-12x 32
    This is a unique scope, as it has very little eye relief, and therefore effectively eliminates parallax error – which is a massive advantage in HFT. It's a bit of a Marmite scope, in that shooters either love them or hate them, and there are always plenty of them for sale on the forums.

It's a fantastic hunting scope, thanks to its small size, light weight and massive field of view. It's available with AMD and SCB2 reticles, but personally I find the SCB2 isn't just as practical as the SCB reticle that you'll find on the classic Viper.

If you get a chance, have a look through one of these scopes yourself and make your own mind up.

Expect to pay £200ish for a good secondhand one.

EB Sniper 10x 42
    Pete Sparkes (Sparky) swears by his EB Sniper, as do a lot of the top shots. Again you see a lot of these scopes on the HFT circuit. It's a no-frills scope, but the Japanese optics can be exceptionally good on these scopes. I emphasize 'can', because anecdotally at least, there seem to be 'good' and 'bad' EB Snipers out there.

Expect to pay £180ish for a good secondhand one.

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x 42
    This is my scope of choice at the moment. To my eyes, the optical clarity is truly outstanding. I shot my one for the first time at the Worlds, and I was very happy with it as I was able to see every single target clearly (which is something that I haven't always been able to say).

The mil dot reticle isn't as useful as the SCB reticle, but it's better than nothing. Also I find that Bushnells can be bad if the sun is behind you as the reticle 'whites out' and it can be hard to see the sight picture.

All-in-all though, I'm very happy with my Bushy.

The RRP of these scopes is £840, but they can be found new for as little as £425 if you look around. Expect to pay £350 for a good secondhand one.

I hope this is of some help, Fella. But be sure to take the opportunity to look through as many scopes as you can before making your own mind up – and most of all enjoy your shooting!

Cam.

19. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Gav....in reply to this thread you've had:D

1 x HFT world champ
    1 x UKAHFT champ
    2 x NEFTA champ
    1 x mids hunter champ

:D:D:D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  20. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    'spose we'd best wait 'till someone who knows what they're talking about comes along, then ;)