WFTF some info

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Conor, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Only 12 teams competed last year 2010
    7 of those countries entered had the full team of 8 shooters.
    Estonia, N.Ireland and Bulgaria had 5, Lithuania and Austria 4.

Other RGB shooters who attended
    3 x Wales
    2 x Norway
    1 x Macedonia
    1 x Slovakia
    1 x Canada
    1 x Brazil

Classes
    5 x senior
    8 x juniro
    8 x women
    12 x spring

139 competitors in total.

Looking back the most nations that ever attended a WFTF Championship was in 2005, there were 13 teams, most of which only had 4 shooters. The biggest attenance was in 2005, over 300 competitors. The WFTF should be inclusive and not exclusive IMO, if there were a final coherent set of core rules with regard to equipment and course format, then the Championship event each year will become more and more farcical.

On a final note last year was excellent and well organised, minor problem with targets but overall excellent. I hope this can be said about Italy, indeed that year we saw what was the conclusion to the race to become the first nation to beat the English, however it was not a home nation shooter and no matter what home advantage gives the best always rise to the top;)

Conor

2. bigtree

bigtree Member

Club:
    Scotia FTC
    There was a guy from Scotland, D Penman (2010 BFTA Champion).

3. Conor

Club:
    He don't count:D LOL

4. Twang

Twang New Member

Club:
    Isfjorden FTK
    Farcical or not farcical - that is the question ?

Ummm you might want to rephrase that Conor ;)

5. Twang

Twang New Member

Club:
    Isfjorden FTK
    WFTF content

Although everyone is generally chuffed that the WFTF is growing (...I think this must rate as one of the world's all time fastest growing sports.....) it will present it's own problem's in the not too distant future.

The Competion is 2 or 3 days long (though we use 3...), with 150 targets or 50 targets per day. Personally, I become bored out of my box having to wait on the "usual" other 2 shooters on my lane...nothing personal...it's just the wait. Concentration wanes, and I wonder if the Maian calender is right and the end of the world is set for 21.12.12 ...:rolleyes: When you're on a roll, your mind is usually in total shooting mode.... and when you've finished the course, it's amzing how tired you can be.

150 targets is also a lot of cash to fork out on a do that won't repeat itself for maybe another 15-20 years.:(

No matter which way we look at, there has to be a restriction on the number of entrants from each nation. For us in Norway, currently, we don't have a problem with that. England, South Africa, Germany, Poland etc on the other hand have a problem. Perhaps some early planning is required, and national qualifiers are required to determine who goes, or who takes priority ?

In 1992 at the first World's in Fareham, all 25 lanes started with a resident marshal (those who would shoot last). Everyone shot through at a good pace - no hold ups (except for strings or target malfunction), and as each shooter completed his/her round and delivered card/stored gun, they relieved each of the marshals in turn from lane 1, 2, 3 and so on, on a rotating basis. I liked this ! No chit-chat - just the job in hand. Not only did I enjoy the shoot, but being a marshal, you got to see the face behind the name.

In '92 there were 153 competitors and just 1 course of 50 targets. I think we went through in about 6 hours. Another 150 would be quicker as all the lanes are loaded. Start early enough ca. 08:30 and we should be done by 5 or 6pm.

I think 3 minutes for 2 targets is way too long. Considering FT assimulates hunting, I haven't met a rabbit yet who'll wait for you to get comfortable, check you scope half a dozen times ... and still miss :D

2 targets 2 minutes ...ample !

And, if you query the amount of time, remember - we had side shoots galore to keep us happy during the wait, or once we'd shot and marshalled !

Suggestions then ? As we are, the Fareham way or ?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  6. Conor

Club:
    Rephrase what exactly Andy?

There is the chance of going somewhere within the 28 RGBs and on a WFTF final there could be 7mm targets, all to be taken standing. The distance could be 10m to 80m. The 150 targets could be shot in 2 days, 3 per lane.

The farce is every year it's left to the RGB to decide on anything not covered in the skimp set of core rules that there are.

7. Twang

Twang New Member

Club:
    Isfjorden FTK
    OK ... I got it. "wouldn't become more and more farcical".

I agree, and am a supporter of 40 and 25mm only - but that's just my preference. It took me a while to come around to 25mm, seeing that we always got a result by using just the standard 40mm version.

I think we have enough to contend with, with competition nerves and wind :( Those dinky little holes that RGB's tend to use take away the enjoyment as far as I'm concerned.

Don't lose hope - we'll get it sorted hopefully ;)

8. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Personally i think the sizes of the targets is the last of our worries... there isn't even a common language for communication adopted... hell, we could even have targets at 5 to 500yds at the moment...

I think i need to wisk that forum up quick... :S

9. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Andy THE PROBLEM is there are no core rules it is lets make it up as we go along IE we will do what we want invite WHO we want and shoot to what might give one of our own the best chance of winning, you have seen this for yourself where the pack was stacked so high it nearly fell over(Every trick in the book) as you have said 25mm and 40 mm kills make it a shooting comp Not Conditions Or Home Knowledge yes i am getting some what P***ed off and frustrated and how the F**** hell am i supposed to make arrangements to fly to italy if i do not know if i can compete i would doubt the Italians would like to compensate myself and anyone else who book and find they cannot shoot in THE WORLD FARCICAL SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIPS.

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    dont worry chaps, this has prompted a good start on getting the core rules sorted

11. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Have made a little mod to your sentence, in stone please.;)

12. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    There are no core rules of any meaning

13. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    by Tuesday:eek:

14. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Although i've not a been a regular FT competitor for a few years now, it looks like FT is not progressing as it should (or deserves) which is quite sad.

For the sport to be taken seriously, a single set of rules must be adopted without any local RGB interpretation.

.....a game of footy is played to the same rules in England as it is in any other country, so when the World Cup is held, it's the same game as normal....

....You train to a set of standards, and expect to compete to a known set of rules.....

Could you imagine if the next 10m world champs were held in the Outer Republic of Mongbekistan and their local rules version was shot at 100m with 1000x scopes....

The core rules should cover EVERYTHING and not leave anything open to local interpretation.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  15. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Everything you mention is entirely correct and makes sense.

The problem is not all RGB's shoot FT the same way the UK does. Would the UK shooters agree to a permanent change to FT Global rules which changed the face of the FT sport to something unrecogniseable to you? It would be unenjoyable for you to do such a thing.

Same applies to other Nations, who have now an investment in the game, and wish just as much to find a common ground, but at the same time do not feel the UK rules are the set to follow for various reasons.

It is not an overnight fix........

16. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    That's fair comment, each country would want their specific variation accepted as the norm and certainly not an easy fix, but should be fixable?

After all, is it fair for competitors from many countries to travel to a "worlds" titled event to compete in what is a different sport?
    It's FT, but different..... imho can not be a true world championship if competitors are forced into different rules every year when a different nation hosts the event.

17. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Yes again that is the true problem. It is from my own perspective anyway.

Is it time we adopted one set of rules for all global domestic FT though? Is the UK ready for the possibility that rules from outer mongbatvia become the default?

IMHO until we have a uniform set of "International WFTF class" of rules adopted at RGB level (every single RGB), and all aspiring International shooters participating in that class we won't get the unifrom Core Rules at successive World Champs that everyone wants. Its human nature for hosts to want to put their "spin" on things.

You see now why its going to take time to mould into the "Rugby" model of sporting administration? The IRB tells member countries what will happen, whereas Countries tell the WFTF what will happen. If it goes down the path of homogenising FT, it will become something UK shooters may not recognise as their own invention any more........and are you really ready for that...........?

........ develop slowly rather than a sudden change. There must be a surge of sunspots recently with all the turmoil going on:D

Just one more thought:

Is it time for World rankings under one set of rules, for those who cannot afford to travel to Worlds every year? A World ladder system, based upon your place in your own Domestic competition....but ranked by your RGB's/Team's placing at World Champs Team event? You see the vast majority of FT shooters will never aspire to attend the World Champs, unless it rotates through their Country, so how do we get everyone on the same page around the world? This is where getting people to think outside their own borders will have the effect of bringing the sport together under one set of rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
  18. Dale

Dale Active Member

Largely because the ownership of a small spherical sack of wind and a couple of acres of pastureland is pretty much unrestricted in just about every country in the world.

Regrettably the same cannot be said of airguns.

I do agree that a full set of WFTF World Championship rules are urgently required to establish a common base for the Championships - without restricting how countries want to proceed (or comply with their legislation) for their own internal events.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011