Weihrauch barrel for LG300 domintaor

Discussion in 'Walther' started by SnowBall, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SnowBall

SnowBall Member

Club:
    AZCFT Spain
    I ´m doing some proofs with a weichrauch barrel (22"). Few days ago I mechanised the barrel for walther actions. Here ´s the result. Of course I cheked the concentricity and alignment. Sorry for the unfocused photos but my phone can ´t do it better. The power gain is aroun 8-10 m/s!!

I don ´t have general pictures of the gun but I ´ll post later. I want to install an air stripper because the movement of the gun when you shoot is very unconfortable.

Is the length of the barrel properly for 16J (12ft/lbs)??? Or very long??

Cheers!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. guido

guido New Member

barrel is way too long for 12fpe...you can easily cut it down to 16"

the Steyr barrels at 30fpe are 23", the 12fpe ones are all 16"

3. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Strange as the standard walther hunter barrel is just shy of 23" and mine is as accurate as any barrel I've used on anything

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

One thing I did notice is the centre locating area is flat, the standard barrels have a pointed hole here which allows you to set the barrel position perfectly otherwise you risk the probe pin snapping under the added stress if the barrel is too far back or the barrel not sealing if it's too far forward

5. guido

guido New Member

sure, 23" will be accurate but is not needed at 12fpe, so why make you rifle into a fishing rod unnecessarily?:confused:

6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I find the longer barrel stabilises that rifle more than the standard 19" barrel the FT rilfes have.

I've shot a few walthers with very short barrels and they usually flip very badly, they also recoil more due to the increased hammer spring tension needed to reach 12ft/lbs

imagine if he cuts the barrel down and finds it shoots like a dog

7. guido

guido New Member

sure, a 23" barrel will definitely reduce muzzle flip but can also have the adverse effect of giving the pellet more barrel time and be more influenced by bad trigger technique and flinching...

I cannot possibly see how a 23" barrel at 12fpe needs more air than a 16" barrel...12" should be more than enough

8. SnowBall

SnowBall Member

Club:
    AZCFT Spain
    Yes of course... I did it, but the photos were taken before this process… I put it in the action, and pulled the pointed screw so I got a mark … and drilled the hole.

You have to think that here in Spain the limit is 17.7 fpe (24J)... and I ´m using 15.4 fpe (21J). Sorry I forgot to say that my walther is the 21J version. I have to shoot more to get conclusions, but I have to start with 12fpe if I want to go international competitions! Maybe i ´ll buy a new barrel for it.

The barrel now don ´t raise the airtank (I ´m using the standard long airtank). In fact the end of the barrel is 2 o 3 cm behind the pressure gauge... until the air stripper I think I ´ll finish this weekend.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  9. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Sorry you misunderstood me, a 16" barrel on a Walther will require more hammer spring tension that a 23" hunter barrel.....I've tried it

10. SnowBall

SnowBall Member

Club:
    AZCFT Spain
    It is not the final result because I have to polish the stripper and the cone. I couldn ´t do it! I have less time that I want.....

In the first attached photo you can see the total length of the barrel. The barrel it ´s not touching the "8" of the stock so it ´s free floating... maybe i ´ll put an o-ring between the barrel and the stock.

The distance from the end of the barrel and the start of the cone of the stripper is more or less 9.5 mm (the lenght of a pellet and a half). The diameter of the hole is 5.8mm (the best election for me)

All the stuff it ´s working quite good. The stripper reduce the movement of the gun (in fact I can fell the air in my face when I shoot!) and the barrel y very accurate. Remember I ´m shooting with 21J. The only thing I have to check is the number of shoots I can do with new hammer configuration (it ´s requires less hammer for 21J than the walther original barrel).

I hope you like it. I promise more photos with the final resul!

Attached Files:

11. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    Very nice conversion jobbie :)

...lets see the accuracy of Before & After - if you have old pics of original targets with Walther barrel vs. Weihrauch... when you can post.