Weight of gun for BR

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Phil Kennett, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Does it matter?

There appears to be people shooting with some heavy kit (FTP900) but also plenty of lighter rifles HW100 S400 etc.

Is it really down to personal preference or does weight add to the stability when shooting, what makes a good BR rifle

Thanks

2. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    Some BR leagues specify weight limits, as a heavy rifle will be more stable.

If your league does not specify weight, then go heavy, but make sure you have a route to save weight just in case you change leagues.

Ie, I have a very long steel cylinder on my 9015 which I can swap out for an alloy cylinder if I needed to.

Geoff.

Phil Kennett likes this.
  3. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks Geoff, I do not currently compete, not sure if I will in the future, I do however like to see how I can shoot sticking closely to the guidelines. I did notice a guy who changed the stock on an HFT500 which surprised me and wasn't sure why. It makes sense if there are weight limits

4. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Bisley BFTO
    It’s also why BR shooters use fixed mag scopes, to keep the weight down.

Phil Kennett likes this.
  5. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Club:
    Colne Target Club
    I agree with Geoff more weight is better. I started shooting benchrest using my mates Anschutz 54 rim fire and it weighs a ton probably over 5kg with scope. I was definitely more stable with that than I am with my air rifle which from memory is closer to 4kg.

To answer your other question the other things I think make a good BR rifle are;

Accuracy ;).
    Consistency.
    Good trigger.
    And if you are not using a rear rest (NSRA style) then fit is important.

I use an AA S200 with HUMA reg and an ACZ ultra stock. So I have all the above execpt a good trigger:(. But you always need an excuse for missing:cool:.

Hope that helps

Phil Kennett likes this.
  6. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks Paul very useful, I am thinking of an HW100 and potentially modding if I get on with it.

7. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    I shoot in the UKBR22 light varmint and heavy varmint benchrest .The weights are LV 10.5 LB and HV 15LB.

8. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Club:
    Colne Target Club
    No worries Phil
    If you do go the modified hw100 route have a look at the ACZ ultra stocks from
    Home - Sure Shot Airguns
    I'm fairly sure they do one for the hw100 now.

9. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Club:
    Colne Target Club
    Although TBH once you have bought a HW100 and custom stock. It might be cheaper to get a secondhand Anschutz/Steyr/FWB/FTP900/EV2 etc. Just a thought.
    I went the modified rifle route because I can't help tinkering with stuff...

10. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Hi Paul
    I am not sure where I will end up at the moment, have only been shooting for 3 months so it's all very new, I am giving HFT a go, also fancy FT at some point but all seems a bit technical at the moment, so the BR is just for a bit of fun hence don't want to throw to much money at it at the moment. At the moment I am rubbish at everything :) but thoroughly enjoying the learning curve.

11. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks for the info, best get the scales out

12. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Club:
    Colne Target Club
    Don't worry I've been shooting for about 5 years now and I'm still rubbish at it... the main thing is to enjoy it, have fun and be safe.
    What are you using for HFT? If you are just getting into it all an S400 in .177 with a 6-24 scope might be a good way to go. You could set the scope to x10 for HFT and 24x for BR till you work out which disciplines you like.

Phil Kennett likes this.
  13. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Phil I got the scale out found I was right on the limit I had to take so much stuff of the rifle to get it under 10.5 LB. I also shoot hft and have been for the last 5-6 years, I joined the benchrest club primarily just to zero my rifle in a wind free environment. But found myself being persuaded in to shooting for the club. As a result Iv shot **** ever since lol lol. I brought a hw101 carbine for £400 and a hw100 old sporter stock for £70 and a £50 hawke varmint 10-32x44. With the right pellet it's an awesome rifle. I had top score with the hw101 but I ran out of pellets it like. iv come to the conclusion it don't matter what rifle you have its all about the pellet..

Phil Kennett likes this.
  14. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Hi Paul
    I am using an HFT500 for HFT, love the gun but probably got the wrong scope, I am enjoying the journey though

15. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Hi Paul, so what bench rest club do you use?
    For the BR I just use Petes air gun farm,take my targets down there and have a match between my springers

16. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Club:
    Colne Target Club
    Hello Phil
    I'm a member of Colne target club 'up north' but we shoot in the Cumbria and Northumbria target shooting association leagues, which are postal competitions.

Personally I reckon the HFT500 would be a pretty good bench rest rifle. Just try to find a scope that you can use for both HFT and BR. Providing you can get under any weight limits. Something like a hawke sidewinder or an MTC Viper maybe.

17. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Club:
    Colne Target Club
    Oops just realised you were talking to the other Paul:oops:

18. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Hi Phil iv been to pete's farm about three years ago maybe four. Not been back since. Didn't think I would benefit from going there not sure what it's like now... I shoot for a club near me. Cheshunt rifle & pistol club. They shoot all disciplines. I use to use my s400 for hft then moved on to a pro target. Still have both. But i using the S400 for benchrest now. hadn't use her for years. Change scope set up for benchrest zero her at 25meter. First card 249 out of 250 8x's second card 250 14x's . Now she shoots ****. Run out of good pellets for not found any yet!!!

19. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett New Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Thanks Paul, that's good shooting, I started shooting springers, hell that was hard max of 210 and approx 3 or 4 x's, tried the HFT 500 this morning and shot max of 230 on 16x mag, this is just down Petes on my own nothing official, really enjoying it though.

20. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Wish I could find a good pellet for the S400 and get back in them high scores again. Iv never try a springer, might have to get the tuned 97kt out. Don't think I'll try 16 mag tho. Lol. Think u have a great rifle for benchrest there hft500!! every now and again some old benchrest scope turn up on ebay. 10-40x50 and 10-32x44. You should keep a look out. By the way thats good shooting with the springer.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 10:33 PM