Weighing pellets, seriously!!!!

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mrgeoff, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

I hope inside you rarely hit a 9 should be 98% 10s and 10x

2. castle

castle Active Member

Do you always shoot off a cushion at the butt end Graham? It's off the shoulder at the butt end in the comps we shoot here. I believe it's a bit harder?

3. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    I take it you had no sheep to count?

4. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

hi yes I shoot of a back bag as per the ukbr22 and benchrest uk they are the governing benchrest body which are used by the British open the European open and the worlds
    but I do shoot with no back bag as well ( these are variations of the governing body rules )

5. robt

robt Member

Club:
    BFTO. Camberley Rifle & Pistol Club
    Try Hendon League postal comp for a challenge, no bags allowed, only a solid front rest with a thin covering to prevent damage to the stock.

Rob.

castle likes this.
  6. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

is it inside or out side ???

7. Romah

Romah New Member

Club:
    St Giles Yarners
    Graham, it would be good to see you competing in the UKBR22 outdoor postal for a change :D
    Robb H

Tiger likes this.
  8. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

Hi Rob only have an indoor range at the club out side range is inaccessible in the winter lol

9. Romah

Romah New Member

Club:
    St Giles Yarners
    Graham, we don't shot outdoor air in the winter comp, shall I put you down for the outdoor summer comp?

10. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hendon rules sound similar to the Civil Service postal comp rules.

Solid flat front rest with no side support allowed, no rear bag. Shot indoors or out with any sights, think time limit is longer outside for a card. You compete against the rim fire guys as well under equal terms and all cards marked with a .22 gauge irrespective.

Great fun and very competitive, with multiple leagues and a good number of clubs taking part across UK. They do both individual and team leagues. Loads of pressure when the rest of your team is shooting well - as you don't want to drag them down or miss a monthly card as they have to be submitted by specific dates throughout the year.!!

BR is pretty underrated in the air rifle shooting populace in UK I feel, which is a shame as it is way harder than a lot of people think and really drives you to get technique, gun and ammo shooting in perfect harmony! Would love to do the Arizona extreme one day - but again that is really in a totally different league as Ted Beir's (of teds holdover fame) video on you tube highlights!

castle likes this.
  11. Barry.Chapman

Barry.Chapman Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range ; Tinsley Rifle Club; Emley Moor FT Club
    As benchrest is all about precision, I think it's worth raking through pellets - to get the 20 pellets you need to shoot the competition. If you can get 20 pellets of very similar weight and head size thats one less chance of a flyer!! A 1mm flyer can mean the difference between a 10 and a 10X. Maybe a few more so you can zero up. Only takes few minutes.

Waldo likes this.
  12. Joseph Stakun

Joseph Stakun New Member

Club:
    Dade City R&G club
    Yup, weigh them, sort them by head size and visually inspect for damaged skirts. Some folks even do more, like washing, lubing, etc. Have fun, if you want to win.

13. wrecker

wrecker 2018 British Champion. Member of the 50 Club

Club:
    Castle
    Straight out of the tin NO weighing, washing, lubing, sizing, sorting = more time in the pub.........

14. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    I would say that sizing pellets is more worthwhile for preventing fliers than weighing them, but if you want even more of a time sink then size and weigh them...;)

15. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

I used to weigh/group them by .02 grain lots: 8.40, 8.42, 8.44 etc. But then after much testing and shooting up to 50 Meters I found that grouping them in .05 lots was good enough for 12 ft./lb. (8.41 to 8.45, 8.46 to 8.50, etc.).
    The scale is a Gempro 250 which discriminates .02 grains very well but this level of precision takes more time for the scale to settle...It takes me about 70 minutes per tin at .05 gr. and about 2 hours per tin at .02 gr.

Regards,

AZ

16. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    wish i could weigh my pellets but i was told its a total waste of time , i found using .22 in a .177 barrel is best, this is the best way to ensure a tight fit in my barrel, it takes an age trying to get the pellet in the barrel , but i can still shoot a lane quicker than Neil Hague ,

now where did i put those bricks lol

Darron and RAMBO like this.
  17. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Have you looked under your car? :D

18. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

After being told by those that I thought were in the know, I washed and weighed my pellets, what a total waste of time. I now visually inspect the pellet before adding it into my pellet clam (galsses case), pop it into the gun and wooosh, off it goes. My scores are in the mid fifties overall which for me, means the pellets are doing their bit ok, now if I could just sort out the squishy bit at the end of the butt I would be laughing.