Weakness in Air Arms HFT500

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Johnnywizz, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Johnnywizz

Johnnywizz New Member

I have recently invested in an Air Arms HFT500. This was a considerable investment for me and I chose the gun after reading reviews and taking advice form other shooters at the club I belong to. On my first outing with the gun the cocking mechanism broke less that 100 pellets in to a session to zero my scope. When I complained about this to the dealer I was asked if I had let the side lever slip at all whilst cocking and loading. It appears that if you do this you are in serious danger of breaking one of the sears on the two stage trigger mechanism. There is no warning about this in the handbook and I have so far not found any reference to this weakness in any reviews I have read. This leaves me doubting seriously whether I should have forked out nearly £900 for a gun that needs to be treated with such caution. I can see how easy it could be to let the lever slip on a cold or wet day out on the field target range. If this is a common known fault with the gun then I think it is a black mark against the Air Arms name and I would expect them to be putting this right and recalling guns with this weakness. The dealer exchanged the faulty gun for a new one for me.

2. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Surprised at this as I thought it was a tried and well tested mechanism from the 510.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  3. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    hft 500

Ive slipped a few times with no problem , shame they didnt do the same lever end design as the ftp, never slipped with that ever, in fact its the most fuss free rifle ive had , a little bit of grip tape would sort it out really cheaply, what part broke and where? Next time mines in bits i will have a look

y

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  4. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover
    I've had that very same thing happen ..... When cocking the rifle the lever slipped out my fingers ... Slammed back and refused to budge

Opened it up and the top sear had snapped .... I think by the way , and where it had cracked it was at a weak point .... Perhaps a deliberat weak point .... To save further damage ???

Anyway i promptly donored the same sear out of my 400 and have been careful ever since

Hate to say it , but in general I think the gun is way over priced

5. The Inkerman

The Inkerman Banned

Club:
    Castle
    Had mine since March last year & must have put a good 10000 rounds through it by now, but not had any issues with it as of yet.
    Any rifle can fail at any time, irrespective of manufacturer, price, reputation or opinion....at the end of the day it's mechanical ! ;)

6. Johnnywizz

Johnnywizz New Member

I just needed to get on here straight away to update this post. As well as this post I messaged Air Arms via their website to query the problem. At 10.30 this morning I had a call fro Air Arms acknowledging my message and offering a full explanation. No excuses, they acknowledge that they had a material batch problem which resulted in a small number of guns being produced with weakened sears. I was offered support and was asked to contact them again if I had any problems with the replacement gun. I am now a committed all time Air Arms fan. This sort of superb customer service is exceptionally rare in this day and age and to be given a personal call with a full explanation and apology is way up there in my eyes. I worked at a for a multi national company as Customer Service Director for many years and I would have been extremely happy to have offered this level of service. Air Arms, damned well done!!!

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Nice to see a positive ending to the issue :)

8. chris.allum

chris.allum Member

Club:
    Wendover

fair play Air Arms !

9. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    I had initially lots of problems with my FTP900, returning it back and forth to Air Arms.Eventually corrections threw up other troubles which AA sorted. Until now it shoots like a dream," not a night mare ".For an expensive gun you don't expect too many initial problems, especially when shooting on the competition circuit where adsolute faith in your equipement is uppermost; ;) in my view the wait to get it right was frustrating but worth it,with the true potential of the gun realised, pity the shooter can't match it.:rolleyes:.
    I've shot a 500,nice gun but the trigger on the 900 is light years ahead.
    HERX77