Wanted a cheap pcp

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Simonev2, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Good evening I'm looking for a cheap pcp for my young lad he's 8 years old and wants to go shooting with me. Has any one got any ideas on which ones are good.
    If any one is selling anything that would suit my lad.
    It's for hft and plinking.

2. Doberman1979

Doberman1979 Not so senior member

Club:
    Emley
    Hi

Bsa ultra? You can pick up an mmc version for 250 ish and they are a good size for a little un?

Rgds Simon

3. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Can they do more than 40 shots on 1 fill.

4. Doberman1979

Doberman1979 Not so senior member

Club:
    Emley
    My un-reg'd one gives about 35 usable. Power curves a bit off past that. Look out for a reg'd one and you'll get 40. Look out for one by XTX Air with a Tench reg (http://www.xtxair.co.uk/bsa-ultra-scorpion-hornet.php) They do come up on here from time to time and aren't silly money.

5. rich

rich Active Member

Mark 1 or Mark 2 S200, and chop the back stock down for him.

[​IMG]

6. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    That's looks like a good idea .

7. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    The cheapest route to go down in the long term is to buy an S400 with a beech stock. Then chop the stock about unmercifully till it fits him . Gun fit is all important with a child . Stock length, cheek piece riser , hamster .scope height. As he gets older you then fit spacers to make it fit.

I can only comment on the S200 with a target stock , as this was the first gun that I bought new for my son at the age of ten. The stock was great , the shot count for competion use, was useless, there was also a question mark over how the scope mounts should be fitted to the action , I cant remember how we did it in the end but it wasnt direct onto the dovetails on the action ,and I was never that convinced about the accuracy of the gun ,with 4.51 pellets the groups were good but every 8 or 9 pellets we had a flyer, with 4.52 pellets the groups opened up but no flyers. That was our findings anyway.
    I hope this is of some help to you . All the best in getting him interested in competitions.
    Regards G.

8. cliveo

cliveo Member

Club:
    misfits
    all i can say is i found the exact opposite, the s200 was bought for my lad when he was 12, no problems mounting any scope, stunningly accurate, and he had no issues shooting regulary at sarc comps and hft putting in some very credible scores, have only just this week traded it for a s400 superlight because he has turned 15 and will be taller than me soon:eek:

9. rich

rich Active Member

Sporadic shots going low with a S200 can be the result of the firing pin being sticky.

Set up reasonably, the S200 is good for 40 shots in 177. There's not a lot wrong with the barrel.

10. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

S200 or a carbine S400 in 0.177.

Anything else is a poor substitute.

Either, in the right hands and with the right scope, is capable of winning any competition.

11. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, Basingstoke ARPC
    Mine had an S200 when he was 8, the weight and his ability to carry it was the deciding factor. The 'full size' rifles were just too heavy. The target stock is better than the standard one, easy to adjust it each time they put on a growth spurt. He's 16 and 6ft tall now and has 'upgraded'.

At 8 years old, the power drop off after 40 odd shots isn't going to be the main score limiting factor.

12. chloe

chloe Member

Club:
    castle
    junior rifles

Brocock Contour longer version 45 shots accurate to 45 yards hard work but ok to 55 yards. S400 Superlite better trigger easy to shoot , 55 yards no problem cut stock to fit add spacers later or replace with MPR stock.
    Used these 10 to 14 , started on Junior springers but not full power as could not brake barrel .

13. rich

rich Active Member

I know I've mentioned it before; the only time I have ever seen a league FT course cleared down here in the south west, it was with a S400 with the export length cylinder on it.

The carbine is my rifle of choice for LSR. I'm 1.75m tall and about 80kg so probably a bit overweight but not much off average build. My 400 stock has been cut and modified to suit me. Here's a practice card from last month, ten standing shots at 20 yards.

[​IMG]

I meant to add, 0.22 cal using JSB 5.51 pellets.

14. cliveo

cliveo Member

Club:
    misfits
    top :shot: there rich, something i can only aspire to regarding standers :eek:o

15. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    You dropped on there Simon, they rarely come up like the deal you got mate ;).

Top three for me would be

S400
    S200
    Ultra

16. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Well I'm looking at a contour xl today. So will see how that goes.

17. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Looking through these posts the one rifle that we keep going back to is the S400 . I think I said in my first post that this would be the cheapest buy in the long term. If my memory serves me right it is lighter than an S200 , but also the shot count is far greater. With regard to accuracy Rich has more than demonstrated this with his pattern card (standing ) fantastic, and someone who cleared a course with it . Now lets get back to shot count if you can get 40 good shots from well set up S200 or whatever it just wont cut the mustard in competion. I know because my son shot the NEFTA Classic twice which is 2 fourty target courses on 2 days, and I had to carry an air bottle round to fill it up mid course . Luddite will confirm this.
    You learn from your mistakes , the next rifle was no mistake it won the lot.

18. Simonev2

Simonev2 Member

Club:
    Misfits
    Right I've looked at the contour I found it kicked a little bit to much. Also the way to cock it might be to hard for my young lad. I've been offered a s400. So might look at that.