Walther vs Steyr

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Stephen Horan, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Stephen Horan

Stephen Horan New Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    I am considering upgrading to a Walther LG400 or a Steyr Challenge.

Having shot for around 8 months now, I predominantly shoot 25 yard indoor benchrest, but don’t want to limit myself to this in the future.

Other than the stats and info the glossy brochures and websites give me on both above gun models, is there any other useful information anyone can offer, possibly from using one or the other or both, that can help me chose between the 2? E.g one is more accurate/consistent than the other with pellet type x, or you get more shots with the .... you know, “inside information” that isn’t obvious.

I love reading this forum, because real people provide honest advice and feedback based on actual experience - something which is invaluable to me right now to help me make the right choice.

Paul36 likes this.
  2. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi

I own both rifles which has been mentioned to be honest both are has accurate and consistent has each other. So on that score nothing between them.
    I would say that the steyr requires more maintenance than the Walther but the steyr is easier to work on you have good YouTube videos to guide you etc and also you can get parts or bits from the UK so a lot less hassle. Walther if anything goes wrong you have to go to our European cousins to get stuff etc.
    Both rifles require a bit of pellet testing to get the best results etc.
    But both rifles will out shoot you or anyone if you are doing the right things and technique.

Fly fisher, BDL, RAMBO and 2 others like this.
  3. subaru swift

subaru swift I don't have a solution, I just love the problem.

Club:
    Kingsley HFT & Furnace mill.
    I own 2 steyrs, but I've shot a couple of walthers, both are very nice rifles indeed & will out do us shooters. If possible try both out & see what fits you best...
    Parts for the steyr are very very easy to come by here in the UK, I go to a top bloke off this forum for any parts or help ChrisC is his name.

Mark S likes this.
  4. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    This is spot on I only own the steyr but agree ease of maintenance would mean I am very unlikely to ever swap, i can easily service and change any part within a few minutes.

Bri

5. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    if i was to change from my 9015 it would be for a LG400

Mark S, AirGhandi and LUDJEV77 like this.
  6. Stephen Horan

Stephen Horan New Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Hi Darron - can I ask why the LG400?

7. Stephen Horan

Stephen Horan New Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Thanks for the replies guys. Maintenance is obviously a big part and consideration, so I’m chuffed I won’t have to sacrifice accuracy/consistency for ease of maintenance.

8. Gunit-006

Gunit-006 Member

I've had a LG400 nice gun but didn't get on with it so now my go to guns are Steyr challenge and Tench 9015, Steyr's are the best guns out of the box imo. Butt a well sorted 9015 its hard to beat. As previously stated you need to shoot them and how it feels to you.
    Finding a accurate gun its a bit of a task ie finding the right pellets for the barrel then it's about understanding the behaviour of the gun and getting to know your kit.

Farington and Phil Kennett like this.
  9. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    Its probably irrelevant as I wouldn't change my 9015 for either as the trigger is superior to both. I've had a Steyr and I'm not a fan but you cant ignore how many are in use to good effect. Wrecker has a well sorted LG400 and hes getting good results with it and at the moment he chooses it over his 9015. Also we cant ignore that a certain Dwarf seems to be getting on well with the new to the UK Thomas Airgun

10. scott pywell

scott pywell Active Member

Club:
    Blackbrook and Hereward
    Poor old Gilly will Darron and Awesime ever give him a break just let the Thomas kick arse at worlds.
    Anyway like Darron I also had a steyr and didn't get on with it have Air arms FTP900 which I like but have Feinwerkbau 800x ft that is similar to the above mention I prefer to all but I am also new to ft and still learning the above are all better than me with a lot more knowledge.
    Try to have a go with other at club first if possible.

11. PGTips

PGTips Member

Club:
    Hereward and Castle
    Cause Wrecker has one

Evo, Lavant_Lad and eggie like this.
  12. RAF

RAF Member

Club:
    mill ride
    I was mainly shooting a Domie lG 300...& doing ok with it..a fancied doing an off set grip trigger etc , but didn't want to alter the Domie in case I F555ked it up ...so I did all the off set stuff on my Steyr ...mm... took a bit of getting used to , but , I like it ...thing is my Domie will come back very soon with all its off set stuff done ...just as im getting me head round the Steyr & its the worlds next week ...eeeek....!!!..but they are both really top end bits of kit, they both shoot nice , but in their own little ways .....the thing is with FT..a lot of people are looking for the "ultimate rifle "......is there such a thing ?..probably not.........just look at Jack Harris & his old EV / Nikko set-up....nuff said...

13. Stephen Horan

Stephen Horan New Member

Club:
    Doncaster Airgun Range
    Thanks again guys. I’m currently shooting an HFT500 and want to upgrade to something that I know is going to perform for me (as long as it has the right pellets and I do my bit). I’m also looking for a gun with a bit more adjustability to get a better fit, which I think both models I’m looking at will give me.

I’m not aware of anyone at my club with either, so unfortunately I won’t get a chance to try before I buy.

14. PGTips

PGTips Member

Club:
    Hereward and Castle
    The Dwarf may become the slayer !!!!!!!

steve1000 likes this.
  15. Ratinator

Ratinator member of the 39 club , twice

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    For me the Steyr is far easier to work on , too many little shims and pins on the waltzers .
    Haveing said that I have no idea what changes they’ve made to the 400 , mine was a dommi.

16. Total SS

Total SS Member

My 2c worth.
    purchase the rifle that cries out to you "shoot me" when you walk past.
    If you like the look of another rifle more than the one that you have you will shoot less.

They are both top notch rifles.

17. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    main problem is do you want to use it in the winter or rain ????

if the answer is yes then dont get either because you will find out the hard way that they are both useless, ( walther lg400 not tested yet )

the other question is do you want to use it in changing temperature in the summer ????

if the answer to this is yes then steer clear of the 9015, it is subject to what is called "thermal lift " basically useless again,

i,ve been sitting back watching how the lg400 and the 9015 have been performing,,the only decent one so far has been berty,s but he wont use it in the winter,Wreckers is up and down like a prozzies draws in temp but when on song is a mega rifle but i use the word " When " very carefully, it has now been replaced with a lg400 but lets just see if it performs as well as it is now come winter,,I do hope so for his sake ,

the one gun that seems to work in all conditions is the EV2, results speak for themselves but there are some bad ones out there, basically find one you like and hope and pray its a goodun,

steyr are superb guns but again can be temperamental in temp and again rain,

if your using it for indoor benchrest then get any or all of them

18. wrecker

wrecker 2018 British Champion. Member of the 50 Club

Club:
    Castle
    Whatever you do dont buy a FTP I know a guy who swears by them. He's been using it for ages, he's only changed most parts on it......
    He even has a spare one that's nothing like how they come from the factory. He's also an ambassador for them it's just a pity he's never put a decent score in yet......

It's not the rifle though......

silvergould, Evo, Lavant_Lad and 2 others like this.
  19. scott pywell

scott pywell Active Member

Club:
    Blackbrook and Hereward
    The gloves are off Bob v Wrecker is it pistol at dawn or Queensbury rules. 
    With Gilly as ref and Darron the bookmaker. :):D

BDL likes this.
  20. Ratinator

Ratinator member of the 39 club , twice

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Pistols at dawn , and bob will miss .
    I’ve had a 9015 that was fine in what ever weather , I’ve had several steyrs that have been fine in all weather , ev2,s , walthers all fine.
    All very good rifles ,who’s manufacturers have shown an interest in next weeks comp by the way !!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Evo likes this.